Isle of Scrotes

Max Power

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

No, really, when you look at the offenders, it's only about 10% Manx.

If you're looking for Manx names it doesn't always indicate where they or their ancestors hail from. Lots of Manx people don't have Manx names, T.E. Brown, Archibald Knox, Midshipman Heywood, Alan Bell, Tony Brown, Miles Walker, Kelly from the Isle of Man to name a few. My Grandad had a Manx surname but was born in Liverpool. 

4 minutes ago, Max Power said:

If you're looking for Manx names it doesn't always indicate where they or their ancestors hail from. Lots of Manx people don't have Manx names, T.E. Brown, Archibald Knox, Midshipman Heywood, Alan Bell, Tony Brown, Miles Walker, Kelly from the Isle of Man to name a few. My Grandad had a Manx surname but was born in Liverpool. 

Out of interest, what would you consider to be a Manx name?

6 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Lots of Manx people don't have Manx names, T.E. Brown, Archibald Knox, Midshipman Heywood, Alan Bell, Tony Brown, Miles Walker, Kelly from the Isle of Man to name a few. 

None of them were Manx. Except Bell and Kelly, which are Manx names.

11 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

None of them were Manx. Except Bell and Kelly, which are Manx names.

8 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

If it's in  A.W. Moore's Surnames and Placenames of the Isle of Man, then it's Manx.

I think some people would be quite upset not to be considered Manx if their family have been here for over 100 years? Manx name or not, I'd consider them Manx for the purpose of this thread :) 

5 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I think some people would be quite upset not to be considered Manx if their family have been here for over 100 years?

It doesn't have to be their own surname. As long as they have someone in their immediate family tree within the past few generations with a Manx surname (or maiden surname) then that's fine. Otherwise, they can cry all they like, but they're not Manx.

Archived