Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

18 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

Taste is a matter of taste. The multi-coloured layout of pink concrete, many shades of composite granite (including green, for God's sake), bits if this and that everywhere - has all the style of a fake Gucci, diamanté encrusted, tart's handbag carried by someone wearing 6-inch red stilettos and wearing fake leopardskin leggings. Some people like that kind of thing. And once the horse trams start running and the usual deposits the nags have made have worked their way into the surface, that nice pink concrete is going to end up partly pink interspersed with unsightly brown stains. Probably Longworth has a plan to solve that problem.

(I still don't understand how they can plan to run a horse tram through the pedestrian area at the south end. How will they deal with children running around, and blind people? And the piles of horse manure on the footpath - will they put up signs telling blind people to watch their step?)

And your alternative to everything you've criticised would be what exactly?

2 minutes ago, yootalkin2me said:

And your alternative to everything you've criticised would be what exactly?

Ok, so that's a serious question. I lived for most of the 1980s and 1990s in Germany. When I moved from London to Frankfurt I found the standard of everything to be substantially better than in London. As a simple example, the interior doors in the cheap flats I lived in were better quality than the front door of the house I lived in in London. An assumption is that they had more money, but that is not the real reason - the GDP per capita of Germany and the UK does not seem to be much different. The difference is that I thought they were always reluctant to spend money, but when they did so they spent on good value. In relation to this topic, they have acres and acres of dull, boring, grey, block paving. Pavements, city centre shopping areas, trams stations, parking areas - all the same. And no 6 inch concrete plinths under the paving. But it all looks ok because it is always clean, tidy, and well maintained. And there are flowers - always red geraniums - I think it must be a rule. That is what I would do. Keep it simple and easily maintained. Grey block paving on the pavement and tarmac on the road. And be prepared to spend money to ensure that it is kept in good condition.

• Like 7

40 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Not Prom related (apart from being DOI)... £200k for plans only for a new Airport Fire Station, tender won by a local concern on appeal (iomtoday)...

Jeez, is that just for the design :o
I'd be kicking and screaming like a spoilt bastard too to get that number.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Two-lane said:

Ok, so that's a serious question. I lived for most of the 1980s and 1990s in Germany. When I moved from London to Frankfurt I found the standard of everything to be substantially better than in London. As a simple example, the interior doors in the cheap flats I lived in were better quality than the front door of the house I lived in in London. An assumption is that they had more money, but that is not the real reason - the GDP per capita of Germany and the UK does not seem to be much different. The difference is that I thought they were always reluctant to spend money, but when they did so they spent on good value. In relation to this topic, they have acres and acres of dull, boring, grey, block paving. Pavements, city centre shopping areas, trams stations, parking areas - all the same. And no 6 inch concrete plinths under the paving. But it all looks ok because it is always clean, tidy, and well maintained. And there are flowers - always red geraniums - I think it must be a rule. That is what I would do. Keep it simple and easily maintained. Grey block paving on the pavement and tarmac on the road. And be prepared to spend money to ensure that it is kept in good condition.

I agree that that is where the DoI fail, they construct or have constructed but neglect the maintenance which means the longevity is very much shortened and thus they have to replace with new which in turn means a lot more money spent than is necessary. I hope that the DoI chiefs read this so that they ensure resources are available on a regular and periodic basis to carry out the requred maintenance.

5 hours ago, yootalkin2me said:

I think it looks pretty damn good actually and the unfinished  bits will be finished and then the whole Prom will look ace.

It's never going to be finished. This is the Island's equivalent of painting the forth bridge. Longworth's ludicrous long con.

The thing is why not just finish this bit then open it up? It just needs a couple more coats of tarmac and it's done. What is the point of opening it early? It's just all a bit daft.

8 hours ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

It's never going to be finished. This is the Island's equivalent of painting the forth bridge. Longworth's ludicrous long con.

The thing is why not just finish this bit then open it up? It just needs a couple more coats of tarmac and it's done. What is the point of opening it early? It's just all a bit daft.

Pressure to get people into town centre shops etc for Xmas 

10 hours ago, Barlow said:

Jeez, is that just for the design :o
I'd be kicking and screaming like a spoilt bastard too to get that number.

Design fees that are charged by architects would make your nose bleed. We saved something like 90 grand going modular with the police custody block, because Wernick did it all in house.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Design fees that are charged by architects would make your nose bleed. We saved something like 90 grand going modular with the police custody block, because Wernick did it all in house.

You could have saved even more. There are DIY design kits already available for this...

!!d7helg!mM_$(KGrHqZ,!i!Ev1+0FcF2BMMqBC2vj!___32.jpeg

• Haha 4

10 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

I wonder how much the fees were for the Lord St building? In light of what emerged, perhaps we should be asking for a refund?

• Like 3

I dad a proper look at the new style lighting on the prom last night. I quite like the style of the lamp posts and the light given off. Unfortunately the wonderful vista created by the festoon lighting has disappeared completely! I can understand why they haven't combined the new poles and the festoons as they would look strange, but we have lost a key part of what made the prom special at night time.

• Like 1