HRH The Chief Minister green crusade is ‘hard’

4 hours ago, Donald Trumps said:

People who travel a lot in massively polluting vehicles should pay for carbon offset too

I agree with that, along with all those with central heating paying full 20% VAT on there oil/gas. It is a luxury, after all! 

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Rog said:

One really would have expected a farmer to be sufficiently aware of the environment to realise what adopting green policies would entail.

Indeed - but not this particular thick as mince farmer.

Whether you give a toss about carbon emissions or not it doesn't matter, the IOM could have been self sufficient in renewable energy years ago (which would have been massively in our financial interest), simply by taking the advice they paid to receive. Clearly it wasn't in the interest of those who made the decisions, so we spunked a load of money on gas turbines and pouring money down the drain instead - and nothing will change until that process does.  

14 hours ago, quilp said:

The comments section is a revealing read. "The Pippi Longstocking of climate change..." Her exploitation by the likes of Al Gore and other interested parties comes as no surprise. Likened to a Che Guevara figure, exoticized as a climate change "revolutionary," by some, a mentally unstable child (and parents) by others. The outline of her family history and the culture she has grown up in gives an interesting perspective. 

I don’t see why people need to delight in ripping this kid apart

A. She’s a kid so it’s a bit pathetic ripping into a child, B. As a young person at least she’s got a simplistic child’s view of the world. She isn’t some multi millionaire tosser like Bono preaching from the seat of his private jet, and C. We probably do need to do something about the way we live our lives before it’s too late. 

12 hours ago, Cambon said:

I agree with that, along with all those with central heating paying full 20% VAT on there oil/gas. It is a luxury, after all! 

Some would say heating is a necessity

(But they'll be told to insulate their homes better)

10 hours ago, maynragh said:

Whether you give a toss about carbon emissions or not it doesn't matter, the IOM could have been self sufficient in renewable energy years ago (which would have been massively in our financial interest), simply by taking the advice they paid to receive. Clearly it wasn't in the interest of those who made the decisions, so we spunked a load of money on gas turbines and pouring money down the drain instead - and nothing will change until that process does.  

'Spaffed' is the word nowadays

1 hour ago, thesultanofsheight said:

A. She’s a kid so it’s a bit pathetic ripping into a child, B. As a young person at least she’s got a simplistic child’s view of the world. She isn’t some multi millionaire tosser like Bono preaching from the seat of his private jet, and C. We probably do need to do something about the way we live our lives before it’s too late. 

Kudos to Prince William for flying his family to Edinburgh by EasyJet

2 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

A. She’s a kid so it’s a bit pathetic ripping into a child, B. As a young person at least she’s got a simplistic child’s view of the world.

That review didn't come across as "ripping" the kid apart. Rather, it gave an informative backstory regarding the influences on, and of, her parentage, her ADHD, Aspergers and life-long complications due to other mysterious neuro-psychological 'afflictions.'

Can her view of the world really be considered as simplistic or child-like? That little head of hers is a busy one. She has become revered by many (including the pope, no less!), and that reverence is being (not unexpectedly) exploited by 'interested' parties. For that reason what lies beneath her world-wide exposure shouldn't be beyond scrutiny and contradiction.

As you say, she is a child but is she being allowed to have a "simplistic child's view of the world"?

2 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

i don't think anyone is, more concern from me as a parent, i don't think this will end well for her.....that's my concern......

she is either a political activist (so people are right to question her views) or a ill groomed child.....pick one.......

6 hours ago, quilp said:

That review didn't come across as "ripping" the kid apart. Rather, it gave an informative backstory regarding the influences on, and of, her parentage, her ADHD, Aspergers and life-long complications due to other mysterious neuro-psychological 'afflictions.'

Can her view of the world really be considered as simplistic or child-like? That little head of hers is a busy one. She has become revered by many (including the pope, no less!), and that reverence is being (not unexpectedly) exploited by 'interested' parties. For that reason what lies beneath her world-wide exposure shouldn't be beyond scrutiny and contradiction.

As you say, she is a child but is she being allowed to have a "simplistic child's view of the world"?

She's what they call 'a young adult' nowadays

That great pompous waste of space HRH The Chief Minister has been rather quiet regarding the Amazon Forest Fires. He has rather dropped the ball, world leaders have been pontificating and handwringing - I was expecting HRH The Chief Minister on the steps of Government Offices, lips trembling, saying precisely what his Tynpotwald muppets want to here. 

Another thing which will have to go if we as a nation are to be serious regarding climate change, is our place in the world as the go to location for purchasing private jets. Are we going to get rid of the private jet hangar? It’s a well documented fact that private jets emit more carbon emissions than scheduled flights. After all we will have to practise what we preach - I’m sure those working in CSPs, lawyers and others will look forward to being potentially jobless.

Well, word from man at pub, who works for MU, is that when the gas turbines expire they will not be replaced. We will import electricity from uk. Hence passing any carbon emission responsibility to uk. It is part of the grand master plan of leading the world in being carbon neutral. 

8 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Well, word from man at pub, who works for MU, is that when the gas turbines expire they will not be replaced. We will import electricity from uk. Hence passing any carbon emission responsibility to uk. It is part of the grand master plan of leading the world in being carbon neutral. 

Me wonders if this being the case, are we as Taxpayers and consumers going to benefit? Choice - Manxonopoly and Pricing - through the nose Manx Premium, to pay for Civil Servants, Illegal Loan Arrangements and Jollies! 

47 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Gracious me, and whatever happened to the overriding need for us to maintain our "Independent Nation" electricity generating status which was the whole reason behind the Proffit/MEA £400M debacle that Manx consumers are going to be paying down for generations (no pun intended) to come?

Archived