What do you think? (People taking over)

Nomadic Raptor

What do you think would happen if the vast majority of the people of the island finally got sick of the way it was ran and actually did something about it and finally held those in authority accountable for their actions?

it annoys me so much that those that we vote into power really don’t use it for good but instead for own personal gain.  

I have ave absolutely no faith in government with regards to brexit or when the gambling companies finally decide being on the island isn’t the best thing in the world for them.

i know it will never happen as election turn out shows that most people on the island actually have no care who is in charge.  

But hypothetically if there was some sort of coup what do you think will actually get changed for the better?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you want change and want to represent what the majority of people around you stand for - then stand for election and change things.

That's what the vast majority of current MHKs did.

In the event that Nomadic Raptor was elected I would give you..3 weeks?...before you were indoctrinated into the higher echelons of the Isle of Man social set. All those people, civil servants, businessmen etc, bowing metaphorically and literally to you and telling you how wonderful you were. Stroking your ego. A couple of free lunches and a buffet or two later you will have forgotten the people who elected you.

In the event that you had stronger morals than I have suggested then I would give you...5 weeks? before you just went along with everyone else.  You would have realised that you needed at least another one and a half dozen like minded people to even have any change considered. 

I've seen this happen time and time again for over 50 years. But don't let me put you off.

Good luck!

It's the same at both local and national level.

Well-meaning people (generally) voted in on the grounds of doorstep promises only to find upon taking office that they are confronted with self-serving edifices that have no intention of either accepting change or having it imposed upon them. And they're in post for a lot longer than the elected so they pull the strings and have their way. Obfuscation, delay and denial are the tools of choice and their use is adept.

What would you change though? It's fine to say you're sick of the Governemnt and have no faith in politicians.. and I suspect a large part of the population feel the same. 

But what would you change? You need to have clear aims and objectives. I suspect you'd find that the current bunch of self self serving bureaucrats would just be replaced by a new bunch of self serving bureaucrats. It's just the nature of politics.

Personally I'd ban the TT/MGP/FOM. Scrap all so-called local authorities. Pass all the railways over to the well meaning volunteer groups for them to look after. The money saved from both would be passed to the health service. 

From the top to the bottom island politics is rotten to the core.

From the CM swanning off to NZ with Charters (who he?) to Watterson grubbing around the Falkland battlefields and banging in some appallingly petty X's to PSM, Rushen and PE getting their knickers in a twist about boundary issues when it's blindingly obvious that the residents of the south of the island equally share the amenities available irrespective of who funds them no aspect of island political organisations are fit for purpose.

It's a complete and utter shambles.

Bad organisation always starts at the top and trickles down.

Time Mr Quayle earned his wedge of public money.....

A clarion call for me to assume my true destiny!

The only real hope for the Isle of Man is to unanimously elect me Benevolent Dictator For Life.

All I need is a small cadre of armed security for the first year or two when most people will hate me for taking all the unpopular decisions that need to be taken and never will be by people seeking re-election. I'll cut public sector staffing in half by sacking anyone with eyes too close together (my mother said you can't trust them) or who generally look at me funny. I'll invest a couple of million in my Gravity Pursuits CentreTM on Snaefell to rejuvenate the tourism market, offer discounted fares on the Steam Packet's quieter sailings, make Ronaldsway the General Aviation hub it ought to be, sack any officious civil servants, change farming subsidies into 'food production for home market consumption' grants, get an English firm over to finish the promenade scheme and Richmond Hill in a long weekend, decriminalise cannabis possession and set up an anti-corruption task force to see for once and for all if that man down the pub is talking shite or not.

On the second day....

5 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

The only real hope for the Isle of Man is to unanimously elect me Benevolent Dictator For Life.

All I need is a small cadre of armed security for the first year or two when most people will hate me for taking all the unpopular decisions that need to be taken and never will be by people seeking re-election. I'll cut public sector staffing in half by sacking anyone with eyes too close together (my mother said you can't trust them) or who generally look at me funny. I'll invest a couple of million in my Gravity Pursuits CentreTM on Snaefell to rejuvenate the tourism market, offer discounted fares on the Steam Packet's quieter sailings, make Ronaldsway the General Aviation hub it ought to be, sack any officious civil servants, change farming subsidies into 'food production for home market consumption' grants, get an English firm over to finish the promenade scheme and Richmond Hill in a long weekend, decriminalise cannabis possession and set up an anti-corruption task force to see for once and for all if that man down the pub is talking shite or not.

On the second day....

Can I be one of your  henchmen? 

6 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

On the second day....

That's Manx Radio shut down then...

Good luck with that one. The Manx people are predominantly apolitical and more concerned with community and 'their Island' than politics. It's a form of Manx exceptionalism. I'm not saying it has always been that way, but certainly in my lifetime it has. If things went seriously downhill then I think you'd see a more active and healthier (?) democracy, but until then you're wasting your time. You're squeezed between long established interests on the one hand, and the apathy and cynicism of the people on the other.

11 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Good luck with that one. The Manx people are predominantly apolitical and more concerned with community and 'their Island' than politics. It's a form of Manx exceptionalism. I'm not saying it has always been that way, but certainly in my lifetime it has. If things went seriously downhill then I think you'd see a more active and healthier (?) democracy, but until then you're wasting your time. You're squeezed between long established interests on the one hand, and the apathy and cynicism of the people on the other.

Agree with that.

What about the other half of the population?

8 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

On the second day....

On the second day someone would arrange for you to fly one of their super-dooper private aircraft. Probably take you to a few parties or events across. Maybe your favourite band, with VIP seats.

You would of course be spokesman for Island affairs with the BBC and all things broadcasting - not that your opinion was valued, but because it would make you feel it was valued

. You would find that as you strolled through the corridors of power people would open doors for you, pretty girls would smile. You would find suddenly everyone is your pal (but don't venture too far down town).

And then of course there are the buffets and various backslapping events.

Everyone has their weaknesses and the established seat of power and money on the Island would have you wrapped around its little finger

....by the end of the second day.

8 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

I am willing to serve in this capacity.

I realise that it will entail long diiligent hours in hostelries around the island listening to the most tedious bollox you could possibly imagine. Even worse than Tynwald!

By the time I have acquired a florid complexion and giant beer gut I should have all the answers to all the issues.

Naturally it will all be on X's right down to the meanest bag of Pork Scratchings a la Watterson....?

Archived