What do you think? (People taking over)

Nomadic Raptor

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A friend of mine who grew up on the Island before leaving to live and work in the UK in her fifties met up with me for a coffee on a return visit about 18 months ago. She commented that nothing about the Island's politics and government would ever materially change because where those matters were concerned  'The Isle of Man is the epicentre of couldn'tgiveafuckdom'. Largely correct in my view.

16 hours ago, foxdaleliberationfront said:

What would you change though? It's fine to say you're sick of the Governemnt and have no faith in politicians.. and I suspect a large part of the population feel the same. 

But what would you change? You need to have clear aims and objectives. I suspect you'd find that the current bunch of self self serving bureaucrats would just be replaced by a new bunch of self serving bureaucrats. It's just the nature of politics.

Personally I'd ban the TT/MGP/FOM. Scrap all so-called local authorities. Pass all the railways over to the well meaning volunteer groups for them to look after. The money saved from both would be passed to the health service. 

I would also ban MGP and southern 100. Stupid time of year to have the MGP ad the other also offers nothing but inconvenience for the sake of old farts having a jolly at the health services expense. 

I would put money into creating eco tourism aimed at families. Massive dry toboggan runs down the hills; huge zip lines; adult and kids wooden play parks, wallaby watching etc . Sort out reducing transport costs to get here .

I would build a luxury spa with heli pad on the site of the ruined hotel at Castletown with 360 views of the sea and heavily promote it to the London set. Subsidised use for residents.

generally advertise the iom as a holiday destination to the south of U.K. rather than in the local iom cinema or Liverpool  

I would offer subsidised ferry and flights to residents during school holidays or TT events. 

I would create an ethical manifesto for all ministers and civil servants to sign up to and sack them if they transgress. 

More transparency to government finances and results. 

Sack the chief minister and champion meritocracy. 

17 hours ago, foxdaleliberationfront said:

Scrap all so-called local authorities. The money saved from both would be passed to the health service. 

Scrapping the local authorities and passing their functions over to the central government bureaucracy would in itself negate any savings from their demise and your other proposed measures too. You'd be looking at extra costs never mind savings.

18 hours ago, gettafa said:

If you want change and want to represent what the majority of people around you stand for - then stand for election and change things.

That's what the vast majority of current MHKs did.

In the event that Nomadic Raptor was elected I would give you..3 weeks?...before you were indoctrinated into the higher echelons of the Isle of Man social set. All those people, civil servants, businessmen etc, bowing metaphorically and literally to you and telling you how wonderful you were. Stroking your ego. A couple of free lunches and a buffet or two later you will have forgotten the people who elected you.

In the event that you had stronger morals than I have suggested then I would give you...5 weeks? before you just went along with everyone else.  You would have realised that you needed at least another one and a half dozen like minded people to even have any change considered. 

I've seen this happen time and time again for over 50 years. But don't let me put you off.

Good luck!

An accurate review of a core problem with representative democracy. But I thought you were a fan? 

6 hours ago, Donald Trumps said:

Ps. I'd actually support the Gravity Pursuits Centre - but the big one outside Christchurch in New Zealand has recently gone bust so there must be some lessons to learn

From what I saw this summer the ones in North Wales are raking it in faster than they can count it. In fact that could be extended to the entire leisure sector - which you can see from here on a clear day.

The bloke who owned the campsite we were on had a Ferrari California, an Aston and a new Range Rover - and the site was full. 

Someone who was famous but I can’t remember their name once said that civil disobedience wasn’t the problem and that the real problem was civil obedience. I’ve said before that there would have to be a major sea change before people stopped doing the insane repeat pattern of what they’ve been doing for years and expecting a different outcome. The system is shagged and as PK says is hugely corrupt. It can’t function any other way. As soon as anyone mad enough comes forward to offer something different they are ridiculed and mocked and so the whole charade carries on and on. I think people are now , becoming more aware of the truth though and they’re starting to see the huge divide between the haves and the have nots. Trouble is three quarters of the haves, used to belong to the have nots and, just like our corrupt governing system they will do everything in their power to maintain the status quo even if that means turning a blind eye to the truth and telling themselves that it’s all right really. It’s almost always the have nots who become civil disobediences but they’re watered down because everyone is middle class now and drink in wine bars and eat fucking tapas  So, when once they might have taken to the streets to protest, now they’re at home moaning about it all on social media. The day will come of course. Once it starts to really really hit the middle classes. It will come but it’s nowhere near that yet. Despite the corruption, the clawing away of essential services while billions are spent on fripperies and unessential bollocks, the inequality and the extremely clever control exerted on us to convince us that we’re all right Jack, that we’re being governed by uneducated, inadequate twats, here, in Europe and the US of fucking A  we’re still no where near ready to take to the streets. It’s going to have to get much worse. And it will. Pick the bones out of that. 

5 hours ago, James Hampton said:

From what I saw this summer the ones in North Wales are raking it in faster than they can count it. In fact that could be extended to the entire leisure sector - which you can see from here on a clear day.

The bloke who owned the campsite we were on had a Ferrari California, an Aston and a new Range Rover - and the site was full. 

Thanks to brexit the pound is down to between 1.05 and 1.10 € so staycations are all the rage with camping the least stressful on your wallet.

Plus places like Abersoch are well decent.

Archived