PC Knacker gets new toy

Manx Bean

15 hours ago, quilp said:

Derek, this is the Isle of Man not Moss Side. 

Makes not one not of difference. It doesn’t matter whether the incident happens twice a year, or twice a day. It has to be resolved to the same standard of the public is to be effectively kept safe. Any other view in 2019 is naive in the extreme.

If it isn’t, the ‘keystone cops, not as good as UK at ‘x’ “ brigade swings into force. And people are disciplined, lose their jobs, and in extremis, go to jail.

9 hours ago, Rob Taylor said:

My point is that Mr Flint is banging on about our standards having to be on par with the rest of the UK. but the IoM Police fall at the first standards hurdle in that it does not comply with the UK National Police Promotion Process. It went its own way and decided to create its own promotional system. Therefore the introduction of UK based standards in terms of firearms incidents etc become pretty much pointless as the senior bod making the decisions isnt qualified to be in that rank in the UK anyway. A Police Sergeant / Inspector and above transferring here would be fully recognised and qualified to do the job, transferring from here to there the individual would not be recognised in that rank unless its Constable. 

In fact I dont even know why they even dress like the UK police at all, it suggests a parity that isnt there. They should go the Garda style route. Whats Manks for PoPo

Not entirely off page with you there. I was the last officer nationally qualified to the rank of inspector and the first one to be so for seven years here. Shortly after that the goalposts were changed, and regrettably,  moved continually following my promotion to that rank. There were some that leapfrogged me who had a very easy ride into the upper echelons in my opinion, and did a lot of damage when there 

But, there is another aspect to this. Rank is not always an indication of ability which is why, in command based roles, occupational competence is tested to a higher degree and you either pass, or you don’t. There is no continually changing set of criteria. You are either good enough, or you aren’t. 

I can’t comment on the promotion system as it stands as it hasn’t affected me for the last several years. What I do know is that in the Operations world, which was my last command, things are moving on apace. Someone has finally woken up to the fact that if pursuits and firearms jobs go wrong, the first place the inquiry will start is “what was the training like, and how did they maintain CPD?”

14 hours ago, asitis said:

Policing on the island carried on in spite of Culverhouse not because of him !

That is an interesting phrase. One used frequently by a very senior serving officer...

However, I disagree. I was no fan of his, but he transformed the outlook for the better in the long term.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If there was an incident in which some idiot high on PSP decided to drive away at high speed and at some point in the necessity chase lost control and wiped out a family.

"Why did the police not have a Stinger?" would be the first question.

11 minutes ago, Rog said:

If there was an incident in which some idiot high on PSP decided to drive away at high speed and at some point in the necessity chase lost control and wiped out a family.

Exactly

But 'do not pursue' is also a tactical option, and effectively the only one if you don't have other resolution plans.

On 10/18/2019 at 11:53 PM, dilligaf said:

Policing for the locals, by the locals. No ?

Ha ha hilarious! I was interviewed for a transfer back in 94. There were 4 of us for 2 places. 2 were manx born looking to come home and the other candidate was from Merseyside. First up was the bleep test, both 'locals' made level 7 (9 was the minimum) whereas I made level 15 with the Scouser stopped at 17. Similar dismal performances from the locals in the gym tests ensued. Ultimately though the locals were taken on because of their origin notwithstanding that they weren't fit for service.

Yes police for the locals by the locals!

11 hours ago, Rob Taylor said:

In fact I dont even know why they even dress like the UK police at all, it suggests a parity that isnt there. They should go the Garda style route. Whats Manks for PoPo

Don’t UK forces each decide their own uniform, and as such, none are identical anyway? What’s the ‘Garda style route’? Armed policing?! Lol! 

44 minutes ago, Rog said:

they should be armed and dressed in  riot gear 24/7 too,  just in case .

5 minutes ago, WTF said:

they should be armed and dressed in  riot gear 24/7 too,  just in case .

You should get out more. They are in Port Erin.

Indeed, there's always the danger of them Albanian drug-gangs taking over Pully, bug-eyed islamists slashing and stabbing in Strand Street and Michael Ryan wannabes losing it in Clifton Park. Not forgetting the evil county lines territory wars, moped muggers and skunk-addled joy-riding indolents nicking cars.

shutterstock_123085243.jpg

26 minutes ago, quilp said:

Indeed, there's always the danger of them Albanian drug-gangs taking over Pully, bug-eyed islamists slashing and stabbing in Strand Street and Michael Ryan wannabes losing it in Clifton Park. Not forgetting the evil county lines territory wars, moped muggers and skunk-addled joy-riding indolents nicking cars.

You’ve got Tynwald and the civil service nailed Quilp. Good work.

3 hours ago, manxst said:

Don’t UK forces each decide their own uniform, and as such, none are identical anyway? What’s the ‘Garda style route’? Armed policing?! Lol! 

Having police officers dressed at least slightly differently from UK colleagues does help the island promote it's own image to visitors

Archived