PC Knacker gets new toy

Manx Bean

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These have been standard kit with UK forces for donkey's. I don't see why deploying them here is a big deal. OK, we tend not to have drugs gangs squealing around in Dodge Camaros, but if the cops can stop a vehicle in short order as an alternative to some knobhead driving like a twat and putting innocents at risk, fair enough.

Unfortunately, policing is now accountable. For everything, from custodial standards, through armed policing and indeed roads policing, there is authorized professional practice. Failure to adhere to these is a one way ticket to disciplinary action and not having a leg to stand on when the civil proceedings are issued. But above all that, it makes policing safer, and the service the public receive a damn sight safer. 

Let me be clear here - this is around 15 to 20 years overdue. That was about the time I wrote my first bid for the provision of pursuit resolution training on the Island. Some had been provided previously, but to a limited group of officers who were never on duty when some clown was tearing around at 3 a.m. 

without a tactical resolution being available from the outset, a pursuit is doomed to failure. You cannot just hoon around after a car until it crashes or runs out of petrol. As soon as it starts, the Force Incident Manager has to be working out how he is going to end it as early as possible. Stinger is a preferred option. Tactical contact is a lot more expensive, but if it saves someone tearing through a town centre then it doesn’t matter - the contact car will repair.

you will have seen the Met now using contact against moped borne crime - after someone grew a pair on the command team, worked up to the liabilities and made it happen.

It looks like the same thing has finally happened here. And it will probably save a life so long as it is sustained and maintained. My only regret is I didn’t have enough influence to have made this very necessary introduction happen many years ago. Another gap finally plugged.

6 minutes ago, quilp said:

"We" - once in, never out.

What does, "unfortunately, policing is now accountable" actually mean Derek? How long was your Manx career? 

20 years.

and I know it was accountable long before then. Unfortunately there are people who still seem to think that it can be run over here like some cowboy outfit. It has to be done to the same standards, and that cost money.

No apologies for ‘we’ - in this case I was referring to the populous of the Manx public. Just because it didn’t go wrong doesn’t mean that it wouldn’t have. This training and upgrade ills a massive public and officer safety gap. Props to whoever finally got a grip of it.

Used them a few times in South Armagh for various reasons. Not an absolute show stopper if the driver is determined to make good their escape, certainly slows the vehicle down to a more manageable level.

Glad to see them used, can’t see this happening very often though.

39 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Tactical contact is a lot more expensive, but if it saves someone tearing through a town centre then it doesn’t matter - the contact car will repair.

It's a pity the scrotes don't get the bill for vehicle repair and other damage. 

41 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Unfortunately, policing is now accountable. For everything, from custodial standards, through armed policing and indeed roads policing, there is authorized professional practice. Failure to adhere to these is a one way ticket to disciplinary action and not having a leg to stand on when the civil proceedings are issued. But above all that, it makes policing safer, and the service the public receive a damn sight safer. 

Let me be clear here - this is around 15 to 20 years overdue. That was about the time I wrote my first bid for the provision of pursuit resolution training on the Island. Some had been provided previously, but to a limited group of officers who were never on duty when some clown was tearing around at 3 a.m. 

without a tactical resolution being available from the outset, a pursuit is doomed to failure. You cannot just hoon around after a car until it crashes or runs out of petrol. As soon as it starts, the Force Incident Manager has to be working out how he is going to end it as early as possible. Stinger is a preferred option. Tactical contact is a lot more expensive, but if it saves someone tearing through a town centre then it doesn’t matter - the contact car will repair.

you will have seen the Met now using contact against moped borne crime - after someone grew a pair on the command team, worked up to the liabilities and made it happen.

It looks like the same thing has finally happened here. And it will probably save a life so long as it is sustained and maintained. My only regret is I didn’t have enough influence to have made this very necessary introduction happen many years ago. Another gap finally plugged.

Could the police be issued with blunderbusses and take out said speeding vehicle...:zorro:

7 minutes ago, Rob Taylor said:

Why does it have to be run to the same standards ?

At the simplest level because we have a Human Rights Act. Areas where there is a high risk to life, such as armed policing, custody and roads policing are examples where the highest standards are absolutely non-negotiable 

Archived