Liverpool FC..Has any team been so lucky ever.

SJR

7 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Isn't it also a rule that both teams must have the same number of players on the pitch for a penalty shoot out?

Meaning if either Martinez or Onana had been set off then the opposing team would also have had to remove a player.

You seem to be right ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penalty_shoot-out_(association_football)#Procedure

See pts 12 and 15 I suppose the other team has the advantage of ditching their worst player.

But "If a goalkeeper is sent off during the shoot-out, another player who finished the game must act as goalkeeper." So  goalie getting sent off would result in a non-goalie going in nets and the worst penalty taker on their opponents not getting to take a pen.

I think VAR is being overused, it was initially touted as only being used to overturn clear and obvious errors. The Coventry offside wasn't clear and obvious and I would be saying the same if the goal was down the other end for United. They should do it a bit like Tennis or the NFL where people get a certain amount of challenges either each half or for the full game 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thommo2010 said:

I think VAR is being overused, it was initially touted as only being used to overturn clear and obvious errors. The Coventry offside wasn't clear and obvious and I would be saying the same if the goal was down the other end for United. They should do it a bit like Tennis or the NFL where people get a certain amount of challenges either each half or for the full game 

I think there is an inherent risk that "challenges" would be used as a method to disrupt play.  The Coventry "goal" would be a good example where United may have challenged the tackle on Fernandes to stop the counter attack and even if the challenge was unsuccessful they do get the opportunity to regroup and prevent the attack.  

I can deffo see Pep doing that. 

I guess there could be a limited number of challenges per half and only after "a play" has come to an end. However even then a team hanging on in injury with challenges in hand could use them to disrupt the other team's momentum - like last minute substitutions are used. 

46 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

I think there is an inherent risk that "challenges" would be used as a method to disrupt play.  The Coventry "goal" would be a good example where United may have challenged the tackle on Fernandes to stop the counter attack and even if the challenge was unsuccessful they do get the opportunity to regroup and prevent the attack.  

I don't mean it being used as the game is on going on but if a goal is scored they can use it then or as play is ongoing they think it should be a penalty they say to the 4th official who can communicate that to the VAR team and the next time the game stops it can be looked at in the way that happens now 

4 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

I don't mean it being used as the game is on going on but if a goal is scored they can use it then or as play is ongoing they think it should be a penalty they say to the 4th official who can communicate that to the VAR team and the next time the game stops it can be looked at in the way that happens now 

How much time would you allow between the event being challenged and a break in play?  That approach goes back to the problem that @Declan outlined before about play continuing as if nothing had happened before being brought back and potentially something else happens like an injury in the time between.

23 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

That approach goes back to the problem that @Declan outlined before about play continuing as if nothing had happened before being brought back and potentially something else happens like an injury in the time between.

It would occur less often than under the current laws.

At the moment, the linesman doesn't flag when an offside occurs but lets play go on. Most time there isn't a goal and the lino then flags. So people get injured challenging when the play is meaningless. 

In Thommo's proposal the linesman would flag if he thought it was offside and play would stop. The challenge would only come in if there was a goal and if the linesman thought it was onside and the opposing team didn't (ie every time there's a goal!). 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

How much time would you allow between the event being challenged and a break in play?  That approach goes back to the problem that @Declan outlined before about play continuing as if nothing had happened before being brought back and potentially something else happens like an injury in the time between.

It pretty much happens now though refs might miss things play goes on and VAR officials are checking it and then when the play is dead they advise the ref to check it or if play goes on to long the play gets stopped. I have seen a foul being missed 30 seconds later the team attacks scores a goal and it is brought back for the original foul, 1 game in the African cup of nations resulted in a penalty so a team went from being 1-0 up to being 1-0 down.

2 hours ago, Declan said:

It would occur less often than under the current laws.

At the moment, the linesman doesn't flag when an offside occurs but lets play go on. Most time there isn't a goal and the lino then flags. So people get injured challenging when the play is meaningless. 

In Thommo's proposal the linesman would flag if he thought it was offside and play would stop. The challenge would only come in if there was a goal and if the linesman thought it was onside and the opposing team didn't (ie every time there's a goal!). 

which is why you might limit it to say 3 challenges a game so not every decision is challenged. 

I mean ultimately VAR has got the majority of decisions right and it isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

On 4/19/2024 at 10:06 PM, woolley said:

No, Stretford as a matter of fact, but my mother grew up in Old Trafford (despite her being a blue), and my grandfather was from Newton Heath, so I think that'll do.

Actually , that was a joke. Bit like United these days I suppose.

• Haha 1

Back to Liverpool...

Arne Slot as the next Manager?  Apparently Liverpool fans are "all in" on his appointment.  Really?  Liverpool are going to follow United and appointment someone from the Dutch league?

Also seen Mourinho's name getting mentioned.   Now that would be a laugh! 

6 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

Back to Liverpool...

Arne Slot as the next Manager?  Apparently Liverpool fans are "all in" on his appointment.  Really?  Liverpool are going to follow United and appointment someone from the Dutch league?

Also seen Mourinho's name getting mentioned.   Now that would be a laugh! 

Love to see The Special One there. 😀

• Like 1