More FOI Whitewash? - Mr Malarkey

Manx Bean

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, quilp said:

I'm curious, what has been swept under the carpet? 

OK, batted away then. It doesn't reflect well, does it? Did Mr Malarkey or the Lt Governor personally pay for the staff on premises that day? Did they personally pay for the Gardners who prepared the grounds for the day for any photos? I suspect not. But I think it is more deep rooted than that. The Lt Governor is here as a guest of the Island, living in a house provided by the taxpayer. By its very definition, the taxpayer did in effect contribute therefore to a Government Minsters wedding. The fact that Minister Malarkey should even think it acceptable to accept such an invitation knowing that it would not reflect well with the masses was ill considered, at best or just plain arrogant at worst.

Not really MB.

I've absolutely zero time for Malarkey but this a complete nothing story.

How do you know any extra Gardners were brought in over and above the consistent fixed costs of running that estate?

Having met the Governor personally on several occasions I've found him to be a genuinely nice fella with a great deal of lifetime experiences and a genuine interest and liking for the island.  

And whilst I've no time for Malarkey I believe he's been extremely unwell and I'm inclined to give the guy a break.  There should be an FOI done on listing the names of the sad petty tossers who put in FOI requests.

Even if there were no taxpayer costs it’s a clumsy move by the LG. It allows an MHK access to a ‘facility’ that is denied to the rest of us, hence contributing to a real or imagined ‘us and them’/MHK privilege environment. It is, and looks, discriminatory. Poor decision making Sir Richard.

1 minute ago, Grounds Keeper Willy said:

What a blinkered view. Most countries in the developed world have a mechanism to make an FOI its part of an open and transparent system. 

True. And as in most countries you have thw same type petty old tossers (probably sat there on a tax payer funded pension) making benign FOI requests.

Well, first rule on things like this: allow it for one, allow it for all. Shouldn't have allowed it in the first place. Looks bad now, whichever way they try to turn it. Why would you want that place as venue anyway? Has to be purely for bragging rights and oneupmanship, as there are other nice places around you could choose.

This is a demonstration of the old boys club at work and shows the relationship between the Governor and a Minister, and Tynwald in general. The governor says he is a friend of Malarkey. Did they both fix fridges or whatever in a former life? Run a cafe together? No of course not, Richard only sees a Minister of the glorious Isle of Man Government.

And as for Malarkey and his bride, it only shows them to be exactly what they are. Pseudo and unfettered social climbers.

There have been addresses to the Governor regarding what amounts to poor governance in the Isle of Man, related to the Home Affairs Department. He gives not one toss. Besides, there's another WI tea party to attend.

I find it almost incredible that Malarkey entered politics as a member of the Liberal Vannin Party, clinging onto the coat tails of Peter Karran. He was clueless then he is clueless now. Yet he has social climbed the ladder, surely, right up to the very top.

13 minutes ago, gettafa said:

And as for Malarkey and his bride, it only shows them to be exactly what they are. Pseudo and unfettered social climbers.

Govt house hasn't even got a hot tub in the garden... Claaassy Bill. My lad is having his bar mizvah soon, maybe we could have the after party up at H.E's :lol:

2 hours ago, 2bees said:

Govt house hasn't even got a hot tub in the garden... Claaassy Bill. My lad is having his bar mizvah soon, maybe we could have the after party up at H.E's :lol:

Oh. Those pictures still on the internet? :)

Archived