IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

makes no sense to be allowing a coach load of pensioners to come into the island with over 50% of them testing positive for covid , and now apparently confined to their hotel , 

and at the same time banning cruise ships from calling where everyone on board has to endure  a rigorous covid testing regime before joining the vessel and regular testing whilst on board ,

who is carrying out the risk assessment ?

28 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

What’s to say they didn’t pick covid up here from a local person? The chances of that are reasonably high given the IOMs covid rates and lack of mask wearing or distancing etc so it doesn’t really matter how many coach or cruise passengers are tested before getting on board and coming across. It really does amuse me when people automatically assume that covid is just an imported problem and that tourists,bring it here. It’s a fear of outsiders hang over from the close the borders mentality I think. It’s just as likely they picked it up in a local shop or cafe. 

It's amazing how many people seem to be under the impression that all our Covid is being imported still.  But in fairness if there's one thing this pandemic has done, it's highlighted just how bad people's comprehension and understanding of facts is.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, offshoremanxman said:

What’s to say they didn’t pick covid up here from a local person? The chances of that are reasonably high given the IOMs covid rates and lack of mask wearing or distancing etc so it doesn’t really matter how many coach or cruise passengers are tested before getting on board and coming across. It really does amuse me when people automatically assume that covid is just an imported problem and that tourists,bring it here. It’s a fear of outsiders hang over from the close the borders mentality I think. It’s just as likely they picked it up in a local shop or cafe. 

You have a point, but most coach holidays are 3 - 5 days so probably a fair chance (in this case) that it was imported. 

Not to say that they haven't caught the Manx variant. 

• Like 1

There has been a significant increase in the number of reported new cases over the last couple of days - up from the 20's / 30's per day at the start of the month to 74 yesterday and 72 today. 

the dash board doesn't seem to make sense to me as the number of new cases does not appear to be reflected in the number of active cases. The 72 new cases today only increased the number of active cases from 333 yesterday to 367 today - a net increase of 34. Does this suggest that 38 have recovered - seems high relative to the levels of cases being reported 2 weeks ago.    

I cannot find any press release / comment  from our Government on what many would regard as an alarming sudden spike. We are used to being treated with contempt by the civil service but presumably our beloved leaders do not feel inclined to make any comment either - Ashford has been re-elected and Kim Jung Quayle is on the way out so b------ks to Joe public.    

5 minutes ago, Mistercee said:

There has been a significant increase in the number of reported new cases over the last couple of days - up from the 20's / 30's per day at the start of the month to 74 yesterday and 72 today. 

the dash board doesn't seem to make sense to me as the number of new cases does not appear to be reflected in the number of active cases. The 72 new cases today only increased the number of active cases from 333 yesterday to 367 today - a net increase of 34. Does this suggest that 38 have recovered - seems high relative to the levels of cases being reported 2 weeks ago.    

I cannot find any press release / comment  from our Government on what many would regard as an alarming sudden spike. We are used to being treated with contempt by the civil service but presumably our beloved leaders do not feel inclined to make any comment either - Ashford has been re-elected and Kim Jung Quayle is on the way out so b------ks to Joe public.    

Cases are up I guess as a result of the new school term which started approximately three weeks ago (I am assuming a lag from infection to symptoms to reporting). The dashboard age breakdown appears to support this with the majority of cases being in the younger age group. As long as this remains the case I don’t see an issue as hospital rates are low, however we will see in due course if this feeds through to the older population but with luck the vaccine continue to do its job. Personally I am optimistic, and do not see this as a cause for alarm or a government press release.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Mistercee said:

Didnt our goverment say some months back that they would not be reacting to cases but focusing on hospitalisation (and beds available) and deaths. Neither of these are an issue.

Why would there be a press release then. Just doing what they said they would do.

I agree the rise in cases is of interest, and maybe of concern to some. Not newsworthy though.

• Like 2

On 10/2/2021 at 7:17 PM, 2112 said:

Win-win yes, the island may get some fresh workers etc. In realty it won’t last long, when they see how much the General cost of living is, the high utility costs, the high eating out costs and the high transport costs. Win-Lose is more likely. 

Or the glass may be half full.

20 hours ago, Mistercee said:

What would you like them to tell you in a press release that you don't already know?

The figures aren't a true reflection of the actual infection rate. Those who are responsible, are staying off work and keeping children off off school when presenting with symptoms which others think are 'just a cold'. Unfortunately, there are lots of children still being sent to school with coughs and runny noses, and whose parents think one negative LFT is proof that they don't have covid. Ask anyone who works in a school here and they will confirm that the real figures are probably much worse than Public Health reports. The next few weeks are going to be very testing for our health service! 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Manxas said:

The figures aren't a true reflection of the actual infection rate. Those who are responsible, are staying off work and keeping children off off school when presenting with symptoms which others think are 'just a cold'. Unfortunately, there are lots of children still being sent to school with coughs and runny noses, and whose parents think one negative LFT is proof that they don't have covid. Ask anyone who works in a school here and they will confirm that the real figures are probably much worse than Public Health reports. The next few weeks are going to be very testing for our health service! 

Yes the figures are much higher (note I didn’t use worse)  than are being reported by PCR tests.  Who cares?

None of the recent cases I am aware of had any symptoms at all and were only picked up by people doing regular LfTs so your point about kids going in with colds is invalid.  Most of those spreading it don’t show any symptoms so are in school regardless.

Its a non issue.  I really can’t understand the concern any more.

Some people will get ill and a tiny number will die.  Those that die will make up a small percentage of total deaths and are almost certain to be people who were very ill or vulnerable anyway or unvaccinated.

Nothing more we can sensibly do IMO 

• Like 1