IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

22 minutes ago, momo65 said:

They are perfectly content to be in full control of their lives. Their concern is that the infect everyone mob are now unsupervised.

The infect everyone mob are not as much of a concern now due to vaccination. It's now or never.

17 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Funny - I just assumed you live in a lead lined basement in a triple-layered hazmat suit. I understand your disappointment at people being handed their lives back. But you need to suck it up. 

Funny I assumed you were a sensible pleasant person.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Think of the savings.  We could ban pregnancy tests and close the Jane!   Cure cancer by not looking for it!  It's the future of medicine.

There are currently ten people ill with Covid in Nobles, most of whom have been vaccinated and boosted, so heaven's know how bad it would have been without our good vaccination coverage.  There are nearly 2000 with the disease, about half of whom will have symptoms. 

No amount of shutting your eyes and wishing naughty Mr Covid will go away is going to change the situation, nor that it will almost certainly happen again with new variants as it has happened in the past.  We can only tell that situations change if we monitor them, stopping testing will prevent that.

Commenters and politicians spout rhetoric about 'living with the virus' and then seem to think that it means ignoring it.  That's not how you deal with an endemic disease.  People don't throw away their anti-malarials and mosquito netting because they've got bored with them.

'Living with the virus' means dealing with it via the health service when it becomes a concern for the individual involved. Like any illness. We live with influenza, norovirus etc... We deal with it as and when needed, otherwise we go about our lives. 

I'll ignore your ridiculous malaria analogy. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Think of the savings.  We could ban pregnancy tests and close the Jane!   Cure cancer by not looking for it!  It's the future of medicine...

…Commenters and politicians spout rhetoric about 'living with the virus' and then seem to think that it means ignoring it.  That's not how you deal with an endemic disease.  People don't throw away their anti-malarials and mosquito netting because they've got bored with them.

Extremely poor analogies Roger. I know you’re being facetious, but pregnancy and cancer are not good comparators. 

Malaria however is better. Vaccination not yet widely available (nature of the disease makes it such) but precautions are available, as you describe. People in sub-Saharan Africa live with it, we can go there and take the risk, mitigated by pills, nets, and repellent spray.  As with covid - vaccination is our main precaution and that’s done. Covid is now, thanks to vaccination, a bit like flu in terms of mortality, and probably not as bad in terms of symptoms for the majority. It is time we stopped testing everyone (unless actually ill and possibly needing hospital treatment) all the time and just got on with it as we were in October 2019 with flu around, but before covid had been thought of. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

As I said I understand how upset you must be to see the end of all the restrictions and the scaremongering. It must be really frightening for you to be facing the prospect of not seeing people wearing masks going about their daily business. But you’re going to have to get used to it. Just like we have had to get used to your incessant fear mongering and general panic spreading nonsense over the last 2 years. 

I'm not upset. I don't think restrictions should be necessary. It should be normal behaviour to avoid giving other people any infectious disease.

I rarely use MF so I've hardly been spreading panic - not least because I'm not panicking.

The condescension doesn't work any better than your attempts to belittle. It's just failed bullying.

20 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

When it comes to condescension and belittling you need to read 80% of your own posts in this thread fella 😂

Perhaps unlike you. I can remember what I have written in the last 24 hours. I'm not the one using childish names for vulnerable people.

It’s been the topic of discussion at work for a while as the landscape has changed a little for those who are customer facing. 
usually, a bit of a cough wouldn’t mean someone calls in sick, they would lash some cough medication in them and crack on.

Now there is a worry that if they come into work, they might have covid and spread it around not to mention from a customers point of view they maybe worried that they will be infected by a staff member with a cough.

Sickness days are expected to rise as a result for those of us that can’t work from home is the bottom line.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, immortalpuppet said:

It’s been the topic of discussion at work for a while as the landscape has changed a little for those who are customer facing. 
usually, a bit of a cough wouldn’t mean someone calls in sick, they would lash some cough medication in them and crack on.

Now there is a worry that if they come into work, they might have covid and spread it around not to mention from a customers point of view they maybe worried that they will be infected by a staff member with a cough.

Sickness days are expected to rise as a result for those of us that can’t work from home is the bottom line.

Now there's a question that interests me. What proportion of the working population can do their job from home?

11 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

As I said. I’m sorry for your loss when it comes to the covid rules and restrictions. You must be very disappointed that others can no longer be so controlled by irrational fear - but there is no real reason for you to lash out at people who welcome these changes. Perhaps you should treat this as a short period of mourning for what was before your life begins again. 

You are like a broken record. Back to the playground level attempt to belittle. It does not work.

I'd agree there's no reason to lash out. That's why I didn't. Indeed it is you who repeatedly try to mock those with different views.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

Now there's a question that interests me. What proportion of the working population can do their job from home?

Thus not taking sick days and on paper having a much better record from a HR point of view or for those self employed & customer facing - lost revenue 

Edited by immortalpuppet
Spells

2 hours ago, Happier diner said:

What would your approach be? 

Mixed and dependant on an ever-changing situation.  That's why we need testing to continue and to be easy for people.  Without monitoring we don't know what the situation is.  And as I pointed out, the vulnerable can only be protected by the non-vulnerable who come in contact with them testing.

I wouldn't be trying to pretend the current outbreak isn't happening, which there's a tendency to - especially in England, which too many in the civil service mechanically copy.  Hospitalisation is rising towards 20,000 again there, not much under Spring 2020:

image.png.44e3efbca1879c0fa9eeed63beeda18f.png

It's not as serious as then with many fewer ICU admissions and deaths (indeed that partly why hospital numbers are high) but it still puts a big strain on the health service.  I wouldn't be surprised to see the numbers here rise above their current 10 next week, though probably dropping afterwards.  So spreading load is important.

Public health-wise I would have reintroduced masks on public transport and healthcare settings (and FFP2+ at that - medical professionals hate admitting they were wrong, don't they?).   Everything else 

I'd also have brought them in for schools long ago, though I realise that's a lost cause ("We can't make kids wear masks!", say the people who've been making them wear silly clothes for centuries).  Mainly because of the way looking after sick kids imposes on parents.

Both these would be fairly short term until cases drop, providing nothing new comes along.  To know that you need consistent testing of course.

But the most important thing is still vaccination.  Mercifully they have now announced that the second round of boosters is starting (though Hooper seems unaware that it had already, rightly, started for the immunocompromised).  There has been some criticism that those under 75 should also be included, perhaps down to 70 or even 60.  But I'd also be chasing up those not fully vaccinated - especially in the older age groups (about 20% of over-85s seem to be in this category).  We tend to think of the unvaccinated now as Heading-type oppositionists, but many may just need reassurance or have missed their chance and not know how to ask for another.

• Like 1