IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

1 minute ago, Zarley said:

I think they should continue to provide them for free - or very low cost at least. One family member has cancer and I'm vulnerable as well. Our family would find it much more difficult to keep each other safe if we were unable to monitor our health via these tests. 

My daughter currently has covid - she caught it while teaching. She's not out and about, she's at home and quite unwell. She doesn't want to be off work; being a supply teacher she's basically on a zero-hours contract. She's fully vaxxed and boosted, young and healthy. 

She doesn't have "typical" headcold covid symptoms, she's extremely fatigued with bad joint pain. If covid tests weren't readily available it would have been easy to assume she was suffering from something else and because it's not presenting as a respiratory illness, we probably wouldn't think it was very contagious. 

While if I or the cancer patient in the family may only have a "mild" case if we catch it, you never know and I don't particularly want to find out if it can be helped. We're a close family, constantly in and out of each other's homes, so it's important we know the score.

I'm NOT advocating the return or continuation of covid restrictions.

However there's no good reason for removing the ability to test for those of us wishing to keep close, vulnerable family members safe. If you feel you no longer need to test, then don't test. Just don't remove the ability (or make it financially burdensome) to test from those of us who have genuine reasons to continue. 

TL:DR not testing will have absolutely no effect on how many people have covid, and some of us need to know if family members have it or not. 

They are continuing free LFTs in UK for over 75s & vulnerable others so assume we will be similar which means you will be able to get them free 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Zarley said:

She doesn't have "typical" headcold covid symptoms, she's extremely fatigued with bad joint pain. If covid tests weren't readily available it would have been easy to assume she was suffering from something else and because it's not presenting as a respiratory illness, we probably wouldn't think it was very contagious. 

Actually all those are very common symptoms of Covid.  Here's the latest charts:

image.png.c2c81625221de26fb63f4ba185a268a4.png

image.png.2e1ce3dd23c067515b5e9ff4854b8d52.png

There's actually not much change over time, though Omicron doesn't seem to give the same level of loss of taste/smell as previous variants.  But fatigue is one of the most common symptoms and muscle ache is as common a fever which is normally given as one of the 'classic' symptoms.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

Of course there isn't. The contracts for all the Covid-related staff (the ports and airport teams, etc) all end on 31 March. No point keeping the rules if there's no staff to check them!

They’re keeping the landing forms so will still need the checkers!

We are only jurisdiction in CTA with them!

55 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Surely the fiasco of queues at the 3rd Roundel will be ended. What is the perceived benefit of the landing forms wrt covid19?

My understanding is that you’ll have to complete the landing form and carry ID, but there’ll only be random checks for compliance.

The pathway document from February says

“There will be no public health checks on arrival on the Island. Checks of travel declarations will be completed on an ad-hoc basis for compliance purposes.”

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, John Wright said:

My understanding is that you’ll have to complete the landing form and carry ID, but there’ll only be random checks for compliance.

The pathway document from February says

“There will be no public health checks on arrival on the Island. Checks of travel declarations will be completed on an ad-hoc basis for compliance purposes.”

Still can’t understand why we are the only jurisdiction continuing with them, creating extra paperwork for visitors & jobs for civil servants who will still be monitoring all the applications.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Banker said:

Still can’t understand why we are the only jurisdiction continuing with them, creating extra paperwork for visitors & jobs for civil servants who will still be monitoring all the applications.

Fully agree. CoMin is meeting today to confirm what is to happen on 31/3. Let’s hope they see sense

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

That's the wrong way round though.  It's not them that need the tests, it's people who might give it to them.

You're right none of it make sense. We should just scrap it all and move on. Ditch LFT's, PCR's and all relics of that lost 2 years. What will be will be. 

• Like 2