IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

9 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

I’m not belittling anyone although I think you might find you are and have consistently done in this thread. As I said I’m sorry for your loss with the 1st April looming it must be a very stressful time envisioning people you have no vicarious control over anymore doing what they want rather than what they’re told. 

I have no loss for you to be sorry about & as I've said I'm not stressed. It seems you are given your desire to keep saying the same thing repeatedly

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, momo65 said:

I have no loss for you to be sorry about & as I've said I'm not stressed. It seems you are given your desire to keep saying the same thing repeatedly

I've had to block the wheelchair doctor bloke from Ramsey on Twitter who keeps scaremongering doomsday for 1st April in IOM.

Edited by NoTailT
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

Funny - I just assumed you live in a lead lined basement in a triple-layered hazmat suit. I understand your disappointment at people being handed their lives back. But you need to suck it up. 

Courtesy, that's all, both ways. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

Mixed and dependant on an ever-changing situation.  That's why we need testing to continue and to be easy for people.  Without monitoring we don't know what the situation is.  And as I pointed out, the vulnerable can only be protected by the non-vulnerable who come in contact with them testing.

I wouldn't be trying to pretend the current outbreak isn't happening, which there's a tendency to - especially in England, which too many in the civil service mechanically copy.  Hospitalisation is rising towards 20,000 again there, not much under Spring 2020:

image.png.44e3efbca1879c0fa9eeed63beeda18f.png

It's not as serious as then with many fewer ICU admissions and deaths (indeed that partly why hospital numbers are high) but it still puts a big strain on the health service.  I wouldn't be surprised to see the numbers here rise above their current 10 next week, though probably dropping afterwards.  So spreading load is important.

Public health-wise I would have reintroduced masks on public transport and healthcare settings (and FFP2+ at that - medical professionals hate admitting they were wrong, don't they?).   Everything else 

I'd also have brought them in for schools long ago, though I realise that's a lost cause ("We can't make kids wear masks!", say the people who've been making them wear silly clothes for centuries).  Mainly because of the way looking after sick kids imposes on parents.

Both these would be fairly short term until cases drop, providing nothing new comes along.  To know that you need consistent testing of course.

But the most important thing is still vaccination.  Mercifully they have now announced that the second round of boosters is starting (though Hooper seems unaware that it had already, rightly, started for the immunocompromised).  There has been some criticism that those under 75 should also be included, perhaps down to 70 or even 60.  But I'd also be chasing up those not fully vaccinated - especially in the older age groups (about 20% of over-85s seem to be in this category).  We tend to think of the unvaccinated now as Heading-type oppositionists, but many may just need reassurance or have missed their chance and not know how to ask for another.

I have got to give you credit for a comprehensive and well thought approach. Respect for answering the question. 

I don't agree though and I admit it's not based on any science, but my view is that things need to sort themselves out until such time as new killer variant comes along as this to me seems to me for most people an opportunity to boost their immunity. If we keep pandering to this virus we might be doing so for the next 20 years. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I have got to give you credit for a comprehensive and well thought approach. Respect for answering the question. 

I don't agree though and I admit it's not based on any science, but my view is that things need to sort themselves out until such time as new killer variant comes along as this to me seems to me for most people an opportunity to boost their immunity. If we keep pandering to this virus we might be doing so for the next 20 years. 

The biggest concern many of us had, from the outset, was the fear being instilled and how to turn that off. 

It has put so many otherwise pragmatic people in a state of high alert, so everything and everybody is a threat.  But those on high alert are not looking at the threat as a personal assessment, but something they should be guided in by a higher authority.  That used to be the gods, then God, now government. 

'Government', (and I mean that globally),  generally, has done a good job, or those who are still here perceive it that way by the very fact they are still here (unfortunately dead people don't have an opinion).  But the very protectors are now cutting the ties and that is concerning to people.

The sad thing is that governments (UK & IOM) have clearly said that in the next Tsunami - which is not exactly lapping gently at our shores - don't look to government to be the protector of each of you.  We've cashed in that cheque. 

So, to survive the best we can all do is make sure we have an active economic environment, firstly to fund ourselves and secondly to fund the state support of those who cannot fund themselves.

In other words, get on with it, we need to shore up our economic position and drop the Covid handicap. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1