IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

16 minutes ago, Banker said:

No reason why a whole class couldn’t be done by zoom but that would require planning & a desire to actually do it! KWC would have it sorted 

The trouble is that you still need another person in the actual classroom to control and assist the class, so if your problem is not enough people it doesn't really help. 

Small groups are possible, but you would need time for the whole thing to be set up and the real problem is the unpredictability.  You don't know who will be off and it's quite clear that that there's not much slack in the system with few supply teachers available.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Youaintseenme said:

The teachers and kids are still all at home, but rather than the kids doing nothing and the teacher doing DIY or retraining for a job with more holidays, they hold a class by Zoom.

The UK did it for months and months

That's fine if you've got time to set things up.  It's not much use for the first day.  The school are trying to send the kids home for a day at a time when things are sorted out, but if you'd like to them to be home for months and months, I'm sure it can be arranged.

• Like 3

IOM Govt schools are handicapped by lots of red tape which does prevent the kind of solutions the private education sector can provide quickly and efficiently. The result is a bland education service which could be very good, but ends up being mediocre.

7 minutes ago, Bill1977 said:

IOM Govt schools are handicapped by lots of red tape which does prevent the kind of solutions the private education sector can provide quickly and efficiently. The result is a bland education service which could be very good, but ends up being mediocre.

Sounds familiar!

20 minutes ago, Bill1977 said:

Yeah, so far as I'm aware during lockdown 1 and 2 (electric boogaloo) there was much huffing and puffing in Govt about allowing/not allowing video call teaching due to security concerns.

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, Youaintseenme said:

Care to show me where there is a clear and concise document I can send to an unvaccinated elderly relative coming here for Easter that explains the exact requirements?  She is currently panicking that she will need a PCR test.

It would be most appreciated if you could.

The plan is for all travel, proof of vaccination, testing  etc restrictions EXCEPT the landing card (which is staying) to be scrapped at the end of the month. You’re right, it doesn’t seem to be in any of the obvious places on the Gov.im website. 

but there is a document here which sets out the plans

https://covid19.gov.im/media/2052/endemic-approach-030222.pdf

I don’t think it’s been confirmed yet by any announcement that this is actually going to, or not going to happen in what, just over a week. I suppose they are leaving it as late as possible in case they want to back pedal. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Banker said:

No reason why a whole class couldn’t be done by zoom but that would require planning & a desire to actually do it! KWC would have it sorted 

not everybody has the equipment necessary for 'zoom'

On 3/22/2022 at 10:31 AM, thommo2010 said:

once they start charging for LFTS then the cases will drop dramatically. 

I think they should continue to provide them for free - or very low cost at least. One family member has cancer and I'm vulnerable as well. Our family would find it much more difficult to keep each other safe if we were unable to monitor our health via these tests. 

My daughter currently has covid - she caught it while teaching. She's not out and about, she's at home and quite unwell. She doesn't want to be off work; being a supply teacher she's basically on a zero-hours contract. She's fully vaxxed and boosted, young and healthy. 

She doesn't have "typical" headcold covid symptoms, she's extremely fatigued with bad joint pain. If covid tests weren't readily available it would have been easy to assume she was suffering from something else and because it's not presenting as a respiratory illness, we probably wouldn't think it was very contagious. 

While if I or the cancer patient in the family may only have a "mild" case if we catch it, you never know and I don't particularly want to find out if it can be helped. We're a close family, constantly in and out of each other's homes, so it's important we know the score.

I'm NOT advocating the return or continuation of covid restrictions.

However there's no good reason for removing the ability to test for those of us wishing to keep close, vulnerable family members safe. If you feel you no longer need to test, then don't test. Just don't remove the ability (or make it financially burdensome) to test from those of us who have genuine reasons to continue. 

TL:DR not testing will have absolutely no effect on how many people have covid, and some of us need to know if family members have it or not. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2