Black Lives Matter

1 hour ago, quilp said:

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2020/jul/06/upward-thrusting-buildings-ejaculating-cities-sexist-leslie-kern-phallic-feminist-city-toxic-masculinity

Is this a joke? A little light-hearted relief perhaps, from the travails of inequality, inequity, discrimination and rampant sexism? I couldn't think of another thread on which to post it but maybe it's a fine example of how our thinking is changing. Or, more likely, another peep at just how right-on and ridiculous the Guardian is becoming.

Laugh if you dare... :rolleyes::lol:

It's a stupid headline, but the point of headlines (which are almost never written by the author of the article) isn't to summarise the content but to make you click on it.  So it worked if you did.  Of course that doesn't necessarily encourage anyone to read it and in the fewer and fewer articles that allow comments you often see this - someone's whose launched an attack on the article while clearly not having read any of it.  And it may even put some people off.  I just thought "Oh FFS!" when I saw the headline and didn't bother to look at it.

That said, it isn't a very good article.  It takes a cliche that must be pushing a hundred years old (about skyscrapers being phallic) and rather than consider the implications of whether this produces good buildings for people (of both sexes) to live and work in rather than tickling the ego of architects and developers, wanders about all over the place.  It's typical Guardian 'feminism' lots of vague hand-waving about how bad things are, but no real solutions except more well-paid jobs for the sort of women who write things for the Guardian.  And certainly nothing that might disadvantage those sort of people financially.

3 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

...someone who's launched an attack on the article while clearly not having read any of it... I just thought "Oh FFS!" when I saw the headline and didn't bother to look at it.

That said, it isn't a very good article...  ...It's typical Guardian 'feminism' lots of vague hand-waving about how bad things are, but no real solutions except more well-paid jobs for the sort of women who write things for the Guardian...

Oh, er... Righto :huh:

12 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

That said, it isn't a very good article.  It takes a cliche that must be pushing a hundred years old (about skyscrapers being phallic) and rather than consider the implications of whether this produces good buildings for people (of both sexes) to live and work in rather than tickling the ego of architects and developers, wanders about all over the place. 

On 7/5/2020 at 11:16 AM, FDR said:

They want to antagonise people and cause division. It all plays into the overall agenda which is to first get us into these little collectives (or balkanisation) within society which will serve to undermine the existing institutions like the nation-state and later on be amalgamated under one global collectivist system. They're bypassing national systems, undermining individualism and national identity, and creeping in with global identities (identity politics is a globalist movement). 

Indeed, obvious undermining, even the local -

https://twitter.com/poc_iom

Which was given the -

https://twitter.com/GefMongooseIOM

- platform for 3 days and retweeted by the  police , is seemingly just marxist talking points, including -

Not finding black people attractive - racist.

https://twitter.com/poc_iom/status/1281193966709420032/photo/2

Finding black people attractive - also racist.

https://twitter.com/poc_iom/status/1281193887726526465/photo/2

Where exactly are you supposed to go with that?

Compared to - "Police investigating it's OK to be white posters" in the UK. -

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/police-investigating-its-okay-white-4274023

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8460059/Cambridge-University-backs-academic-tweeted-White-Lives-Dont-Matter.html

On 7/5/2020 at 11:16 AM, FDR said:

Trigger is the key word here. In the training material of these activist groups, there is a process of "trigger" followed by "escalation". Those are just two of a number of stages in their activist strategy. Different groups in a much bigger network operate at different levels of the process. Groups like BLM function mainly in the escalation stage: they're there to throw fuel on the fire, make things worse, get everybody riled up in different locations. This is also why some activist groups use deliberately provocative and obnoxious terminology like "white privilege": they know it's meaningless and winds people up so doesn't really accomplish everything other than fan the flames. Which some might say means they're doing their job wrong, but fanning the flames and making things worse IS the real objective. They want to antagonise people and cause division. It all plays into the overall agenda which is to first get us into these little collectives (or balkanisation) within society which will serve to undermine the existing institutions like the nation-state and later on be amalgamated under one global collectivist system. They're bypassing national systems, undermining individualism and national identity, and creeping in with global identities (identity politics is a globalist movement). 

On 7/5/2020 at 11:55 AM, John Wright said:

Exactly what you do here TJ, then?

What are you banging on about, John? If you actually look at my posts, I'm on here promoting traditional values, fiscal conservative economics, small limited government, and a form of civic nationalism which is inclusive of people of all colours, races, creeds, genders, sexualities, and politics. I'm basically a private conservative but a public liberal, if you get what I mean. I'm for minding my business, and others minding their business. A society in which we all agree to get along and maximise personal liberty while at the same time protecting the most vulnerable in society and helping to lift up the living standard of the poor and people of different needs. While I've been critical on this thread of the organisation which styles itself under the name "Black Lives Matter", I completely endorse moves towards greater racial equality and harmony and, were it not for the marxist organisation having stolen the phrase, I'd happily hold a placard to declare that black lives do indeed matter (and that  statement is not exclusive of people who are not black).  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, Rog said:

Slave.jpg

Says it all really.

No offence but all that says is that you're a bigoted imbecile. 

Many African Americans are descended from immigrants from Africa who were never slaves. Also, many nations in Africa have highly advanced economies with developed and industrialised cities which make the Isle of Man and UK's cities look primitive in comparison. 

1 hour ago, FDR said:

Many African Americans are descended from immigrants from Africa who were never slaves. Also, many nations in Africa have highly advanced economies with developed and industrialised cities which make the Isle of Man and UK's cities look primitive in comparison. 

Ever been to any Sub-Saharan African country and worked up country?  Nigeria?  Congo? Angola?

I have.

In any case this funny and harmless little cartoon addresses ex slaves, not negroes who have emigrated to the West.

Edited by Rog

1 hour ago, FDR said:

TBH, colonisation probably "developed" most sub-saharan countries rather than slavery per se (and it is still "developing" in the guise of international aid). So, not only is the cartoon demonstrative of bigotry (if it wasn't for slavery you would still be running round with spears) it is inaccurate. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Gladys said:

TBH, colonisation probably "developed" most sub-saharan countries rather than slavery per se (and it is still "developing" in the guise of international aid). So, not only is the cartoon demonstrative of bigotry (if it wasn't for slavery you would still be running round with spears) it is inaccurate. 

All foreign aid should have been ended decades ago.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rog said:

All foreign aid should have been ended decades ago.  

Well, there is a whole different debate there.  Some would view aid as a humane, altruistic act of richer nations to the poorer countries.  Others would argue it is a way of recompensing  the plunder by the western world of the natural resources of the recipients.  Others, that it is a means of persuasion and regime change sometimes with a less than altruistic motive.  Yet others, that charity should begin at home as most donor countries have poverty, lack of education, suitable housing and healthcare themselves. 

It is complex, but it is a fact of the current global economic macro structure. 

Edit to add: Its also big business, the suppliers to aid projects don't do it for free. 

On 7/8/2020 at 8:44 PM, quilp said:

Oh, er... Righto :huh:

Now, now. You've made a curt response to one of Roger's posts.

Expect an even curter and possible foul mouthed response from his minder and disciple Declan

• Haha 2