Budget today

NoTail

Just listened to  Alfs speech. Maybe I missed the essential points but I see it as a budfet which said very little.

To summarise,  shit this is expensive!  We need to reign back support asap. Just support the businesses that can demonstrate they are on their knees or dead. Wd will borrow from the banks to see us through.  In the meantime we will accelerate paying for things like the promenade.  Also accelerate going green and getting digital. 

As for going green and digital,  the government does not seem to realise how expensive electricity and phone charges are. I for one have abandoned MT and have a contract with a UK supplier which gives far superior mobile data etc at a fraction of the cost of MT. 

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Comments made by members* that they only had a couple of hours to digest the strategy & are then expected to vote on it

Did appear to be an opportunity lost to refocus economic strategy for the next year or so

Now we'll have to potter along with the Treasury's Economic Recovery Plan & wait til after the next general election for re-focused government

*Mr Speaker - Bill Shimmins suggests he might have attended Treasury workshops

Just listening to Manx Radio Mannin Line. It's like a battle of who knows more about stuff - Andy Wint or John Moss. I think Mossie knows more  but Andy Wint just thinks he knows more. Than anyone.

100 or so questions down for answers, some absolute crackers, my favourite is this one from Moorhouse 

1. How responsive the Department is to recommendations on safety in relation to exposure to the sun in the Island’s schools? 

16 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Just listening to Manx Radio Mannin Line. It's like a battle of who knows more about stuff - Andy Wint or John Moss. I think Mossie knows more  but Andy Wint just thinks he knows more. Than anyone.

That’s terrible it was just bullshit bingo quoting random numbers and to top it off they ask Tony Brown what he thinks of the budget like anyone actually gives a shit about what Tony Brown thinks of anything. 

It was all reminiscent of Donald Gelling drawling "I'd rather deal with the problems of success than the problems of failure". The IoM Gov had been getting a freebie £200million in overpayment of VAT share for a few years. Tony Brown had been riding on the bonanza too.

29 minutes ago, Banker said:

100 or so questions down for answers, some absolute crackers, my favourite is this one from Moorhouse 

1. How responsive the Department is to recommendations on safety in relation to exposure to the sun in the Island’s schools? 

Does he spend hours coming up with his questions?

16 minutes ago, gettafa said:

It was all reminiscent of Donald Gelling drawling "I'd rather deal with the problems of success than the problems of failure". The IoM Gov had been getting a freebie £200million in overpayment of VAT share for a few years. Tony Brown had been riding on the bonanza too.

Not for long though. When it was his turn the horse bucked and threw him off, along with the rest of us. Jinxed it good and proper.

1 hour ago, Banker said:

What does he want to know? I guess it is about sunburn. But it's likely to be answered - "very responsive" or "we have a target of responding to all safety recommendations within two weeks."

When presumably the question is meant to be asking "What's the policy on exposure to sun in the Island's schools?"

OR if there's been some recommendations recently - "How are the Department and the Island's schools responding to the recent safety recommendations about sun exposure."

It's not like he's having to phrase the questions off the top of his head during a debate (or using Google translate), he must have sat at his computer, thought about that  question before emailing it to the clerks.

1 hour ago, Banker said:

Is this the last Tynwald before the recess? I think it is a tradition now to ask loads of questions in an attempt to look as though they are doing something.

Spewin Juan has been all over Facebook in the last week with stuff even claiming his question may have led to the railways reopening.

I would say the line now being passable at Groudle and the arrival of some Guernsey people probably had more to do with it.

On 7/20/2020 at 11:30 AM, Donald Trumps said:

I hope all candidates will be bright and articulate.

10 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

In his speech today Skelly said "19th March first case on the Isle of Man; 1st April first death on the Island. stop. pause" thus reading out his queue to stop and pause. Simply amazing.

Are you watching, Donald? I wonder if they also have people to put food in their mouths at lunchtime.

Archived