Next Chief Minister?

Lost Login

Next Chief Minister  

98 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

13 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

Rob Callister for me, if not CM then DOI minister

Can I ask why you think he would make a good chief minister?  He's a glorified commissioner and has contributed zero in his many many departments.  

Children's champion?  Failed to produce a report

Promenade committee? Failed

DOI - failed to understand how the proposed car tax rise works?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Barlow said:

It will be up to the Members of the House of Keys, many of whom are newbies and by definition and without having been an MHK previously let alone sat in the inner sanctum of the Council of Ministers won't have that much of a clue what it is they are actually voting for. But they still have a vote. And many are indeed women.

So in the absence of a clear candidate Jane Poole-Wilson may well be the one.

But it will be Cannan.

Spot on, with the last lot, Cannan was a certainty, however we have a lot of new blood many of whom may well gravitate towards JPW if she stands. I hope it is Cannan.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, cissolt said:

Can I ask why you think he would make a good chief minister?  He's a glorified commissioner and has contributed zero in his many many departments.  

Children's champion?  Failed to produce a report

Promenade committee? Failed

DOI - failed to understand how the proposed car tax rise works?

Didn't know how much it was to send a letter - an absolute costume of a politician.

3 hours ago, Roxanne said:

Cannan wouldn't make a good CM for the reasons stated above together with a few others.  He'd be better placed exactly where he is now and where he's done a good job considering the circumstances he's had to work through.

Dr Allinson is my bet.  Not my choice, but my bet.

I think I know what the 'few others' are and would agree totally . Sadly I think he will get the gig . 

6 hours ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

Alternately just reduce the power of the Chief Minister by having the Ministers elected by Tynwald instead of by the Chief Minister as a favour for voting for them. It would remove the power of the Chief Minister to hire and fire at whim (let's not forget Costains bunch of flowers and a forced resignation) which seems to originate from trying to make the system similar to that we had with the Governor being in charge. It means that when Ministers mess up Tynwald can remove them rather the Chief Minister who may not fire them for fear of losing a loyal supporter (Cregeen, Baker, Harmer and Boot all should have gone at various points). Too much power in one person's hands is never a good thing.

I agree, CM’s have had too much power, and it’s unhealthy when his ministers then blow smoke up his backside to retain their positions. The fact that HQ had four ministers that were emptied last night, shows me he was completely out of touch with public sentiment. 

• Like 8