Manx Gas MEGA Price Rise

James Blonde

3 hours ago, Ramseyboi said:

No they didn’t.  They knew it was going to go through as everyone else would vote for it (no option) so they wasted their votes by trying to look cool and doing what the members of the public who don’t understand how business works wanted to see them do.

If they had all tried to be cool and popular we would be screwed and I lost all respect for the two who voted against.

So if you believe something to be wrong , you should just vote in favour of it anyway regardless of conscience? 

What 

Dickhead

• Haha 2

There were some who wanted to delay the vote so further information could be gathered and considered but it was rejected.

IMO MG tacitly threatened withdrawal of service if the vote didn't go forward on the day - in other words Tynwald was bullied and intimidated by a company that claims to not be bullies. 

Ramseyboi  is spot on regarding the two M.H.Ks who did not for the rise.   I listened to the whole debate and there was no option than to go with the motion.   Neither of them came up with an alternative solution and that is the point to challenge anything as important as this you need to have a plan B and they did not.  Wannaburgh did not vote for a Chief Minister either…..he must see himself as the Lone Ranger he has lost a lot of credibility already and only been inthe job five minutes.

What a number of posters appear to be overlooking to date is the fact that sooner or later this rise will filter through and influence the local inflation and cost of living indices. Those indices will be used by public sector representatives and union negotiators in the annual pay rounds.

In my observations, your Government usually acquiesces quite easily during these talks, 1) because their negotiators are themselves the recipients 2) because the sector and union negotiators are far more adept 3) because negotiating can be hard work and 4) because industrial strife does not give IoM a good image.

The Government will then turn to its usual levers to cover the cost of this by raising taxes and fees charged to the public, both public and private sector. In the overall scheme of things this means that gas consumers in the private sector will not only be paying their own increased gas charges, they'll also be paying those of public sector employees via the raised taxes and fees to cover the pay awards.

The private sector does not generally enjoy the luxury of an annual near-inflation linked pay round. There is only one true winner here then and it's Manx Gas. Private Sector consumers come a very, very distant third.

That the price of the global commodity needs to rise is not the million dollar question. What should have been questioned by our scrutineers was the baseline price starting point and how it is arrived at. A 27% rise in the cost of very expensive gas is far greater than a 27% rise of more modestly priced gas.

Being that the Government itself may be a player in this via being the overall supplier through the MUA, this is the question that needs to be answered in my business experience. But the Government may not choose to see this spotlit for whatever reasons known to itself. Nobody is privy to what briefing or figures Tynwald members may have been in receipt of before their vote, that so many chose to vote the way they did without regard to the full details is a very concerning matter to me.

Edited by HNWI
Spelling Error
  • Like 7

11 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

“the lights will be going out” is a tried and tested Manx route to getting what you want: https://www.tynwald.org.im/business/pp/Reports/2010-PP-0146-VOL_2.pdf

You’ve provided a link to a 392 page report.

Whatever the perceived “wrongs” of the MEA many years ago the lights have not gone out.

I turn a switch and my lights come on, my oven works and I can watch my television etc etc without fear of supply interruption.

A few decades ago it was not uncommon for the electricity supply to be intermittently interrupted, not just in rural areas but in Douglas itself. Normally, but not exclusively, in the event of inclement weather. That doesn’t happen anymore

And now we have a state of the art electricity generating facility. Coincidence?

12 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Whatever the perceived “wrongs” of the MEA many years ago the lights have not gone out.

I turn a switch and my lights come on, my oven works and I can watch my television etc etc without fear of supply interruption.

A few decades ago it was not uncommon for the electricity supply to be intermittently interrupted, not just in rural areas but in Douglas itself. Normally, but not exclusively, in the event of inclement weather. That doesn’t happen anymore

And now we have a state of the art electricity generating facility. Coincidence?

State of the art electricity infrastructure is certainly a pipe dream!

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

We also now have a £400M debt being paid off by exorbitant electricity charges, standing charges and supplementary toilet tax. If not gas prices as well. More coincidences?

You really do need to crawl back into the Government's Y-fronts. Parts of its reproductive and alimentary anatomies will be missing your tender attentions by now.

Edited by Non-Believer
extra bit
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

On 10/29/2021 at 10:37 PM, Manx17 said:

Barry on face book, the guy that’s has done a lot over Manx gas said he made a mistake and they haven’t increased the standing charge, but someone else said it has in vat and that has nothing to do with Manx gas. So it will be going up. Also a jo cox from manx gas stated you can read your own meter and send it in or your bill will be estimated.  I do not know how MHKs could vote for this without all the meters being read first. 

Hi

I am the Barry. There has always sadly been VAT added but from my memory, on the previous tariff sheet, SC was shown exclusive of VAT, now it's inclusive. It was an error on my part. I wholeheartedly apologise for any inconvenience. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

As hissingsid says, a lot of the interruptions in supply in the past were due to distribution problems not generation ones.  You can have all the latest power stations you want, but if the lines are down the power won't get to the customer.

But if you want to look where security in supply came from, you have to look to the electricity interconnector cable which started up in 2000, three years before the new power station.  Which someone told me recently hasn't actually been supplying any energy for some months.

• Like 2