Manx Gas MEGA Price Rise

James Blonde

19 hours ago, Chris C said:

They have no rights, MG is a private company.

They had every right to decline the increase though, until MG proved its necessity.

They have a contract to distribute the gas which they and IOMG signed up to which you would hope included accounts being made available on demand.

5 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Alf Cannan then comes out with a lot of sanctimonious shite about Govt not being prepared to be held over a barrel (which is exactly what has been done) and being prepared to step in if the gas supply was interrupted. So there never was any chance that this would happen.

At least he's said it. All his predecessor could do was order an enquiry that took over 12 months to even get started.

Methinks that AC will be less accommodating than HQ on the subject of MG. 

16 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

They have a contract to distribute the gas which they and IOMG signed up to which you would hope included accounts being made available on demand.

That would be an unusual contract.

It's irrelevant anyway. They can only be losing money at the moment. Question is, how much? Well like I said earlier we can work that out for ourselves.

21 hours ago, Happier diner said:

What rights do they have to do that? 

In the UK, company accounts are all available on Companies House at no cost.

For example, you can find British Gas, as an example, here: https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/03078711/filing-history

Of course, anyone interested could see Manx Gas' annual return here for a couple of quid: https://services.gov.im/ded/services/companiesregistry/purchasefileanddocumentlist.iom?BusinessEntityId=336790

7 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

For example, you can find British Gas, as an example, here: https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/03078711/filing-history

Of course, anyone interested could see Manx Gas' annual return here for a couple of quid: https://services.gov.im/ded/services/companiesregistry/purchasefileanddocumentlist.iom?BusinessEntityId=336790

Annual returns just report net profit though don't they. Its not a full financial report like PLC or statutory board would have to publish. 

8 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

You could take one for the team and pay the £2. 

4 hours ago, Happier diner said:

That would be an unusual contract.

It's irrelevant anyway. They can only be losing money at the moment. Question is, how much? Well like I said earlier we can work that out for ourselves.

If they're losing money I'm a Chinaman. Can we work it out though? Purchase of gas is far from their only operating cost, and I'm not sure Tynwald were informed how much gas they buy or at what price before being asked to vote anyway.

I think you're right there's more to this than meets the eye - but it's not to do with MG losing money, quite the opposite I would bet.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Chris C said:

If they're losing money I'm a Chinaman. Can we work it out though? Purchase of gas is far from their only operating cost, and I'm not sure Tynwald were informed how much gas they buy or at what price before being asked to vote anyway.

I think you're right there's more to this than meets the eye - but it's not to do with MG losing money, quite the opposite I would bet.

Indeed, saw it as a great opportunity to further fleece the GMP and jumped right in!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, finlo said:

Indeed, saw it as a great opportunity to further fleece the GMP and jumped right in!

Or...it might be all to do with keeping the MUA's Number One gas customer buying gas.

How much did the MUA make out of MG last year again, over a million quoted previously on this thread somewhere?

Useful when you've got a £400M+ Treasury debt, perhaps? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Manx17 said:

A bit off topic sorry, if Manx gas have put prices up but have not done a metre reading how do you know that the bill your going to be paying next time ,hasn’t had the rise added to it? I’m unsure, if they have put prices up how they haven’t been made to take a reading of the meter. 

Great point. There not going to rush to do it thats for sure !! 

13 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Or...it might be all to do with keeping the MUA's Number One gas customer buying gas.

How much did the MUA make out of MG last year again, over a million quoted previously on this thread somewhere?

Useful when you've got a £400M+ Treasury debt, perhaps? 

You could well be right. There's definitely more to it than meets the eye. The fact that the vote was almost unanimous is a bit suspicious if you ask me. 

• Thanks 2