Manx Gas MEGA Price Rise

James Blonde

2 hours ago, Happier diner said:

But all organisations, even statutory boards, should make a profit otherwise they would not be sustainable. Surely Manx Gas have not been making a profit and that's why they are in a state. Can't see the difference between public ownership and private ownership so long as its done right.

The Government is us. I thought the gas price had gone up 400% but Manx Gas were only putting the bills up by 27% so surely they (MG) are taking that hit.

Public services don't need to make a profit, and if they do it simply goes into the Government coffers instead which is theory is a good thing for all of us.

I have no idea of the figures but I am in absolutely no doubt Manx Gas will be making a profit under the latest arrangement despite what they tell us. Not only that they now know that they can continue making a profit until the last gas boiler on the island is gone because our government have just very publicly effectively told them that they are too important to us to go bust! I wonder how they'll use that information?

If you can't see the difference between public and private ownership then you are very naive.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Happier diner said:

That's correct as well. There are multiple reasons they could not continue and safety being a key one.

Some people on here seem to think they are resellers like a lot of the UK companies that share infrastructure. They are not. They are a fully fledged utility. A small one admittedly, but they are the only utility on the island that distribute retail gas. They own the infrastructure (as far as I know) and they operate it and maintain it. On top of that they own and operate all the gas meters and bill accordingly. 

It's not as if we don't have our own utility company already up and running is it?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Happier diner said:

But all organisations, even statutory boards, should make a profit otherwise they would not be sustainable.

You'll have to show your workings out on that one, as non-profit organisations are sustainable despite not legally being allowed to make a profit.

Why would the MUA need to make a profit? 

3 hours ago, Happier diner said:

But all organisations, even statutory boards, should make a profit otherwise they would not be sustainable.

You'll have to show your workings out on that one, as non-profit organisations are sustainable despite not legally being allowed to make a profit.

2 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

The MUA already buys the gas wholesale 

The MUA could take the staff on 

The MUA already maintains a lot of the gas infra

As above the MUA would simply go from wholesale supplier to operator and take out Manx Gas’ profits 

That's why I have never understood the necessity of having what is effectively a broker/operator in the middle. I'd rather the profits be retained by the nations utility authority to invest in new infrastructure when the time comes, instead of going cap in hand to the tax payer quite so often. An Act of Tynwald could force MUA to set aside a certain percentage of the profit for future re-investment.  

In the same vein, I'm also concerned that MUA will not have much of a say in any of the renewables infrastructure in the future, ie wind farm. Yes, there's capital investment to kick it off but the lack of critical mass on the Island would only serve to line the pockets of equity investment partnerships, just for being the broker/operator.

It's strange that having realised how important our sea lane is that the same has not been considered for one of our most important national utilities.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

All organisations should make a profit that they can use to re invest in their infrastructure. Should clarify, operational profit.

17 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

That's why I have never understood the necessity of having what is effectively a broker/operator in the middle. I'd rather the profits be retained by the nations utility authority to invest in new infrastructure when the time comes, instead of going cap in hand to the tax payer quite so often. An Act of Tynwald could force MUA to set aside a certain percentage of the profit for future re-investment.  

In the same vein, I'm also concerned that MUA will not have much of a say in any of the renewables infrastructure in the future, ie wind farm. Yes, there's capital investment to kick it off but the lack of critical mass on the Island would only serve to line the pockets of equity investment partnerships, just for being the broker/operator.

It's strange that having realised how important our sea lane is that the same has not been considered for one of our most important national utilities.

The MUA are some way off making profits!

57 minutes ago, Chris C said:

It's not as if we don't have our own utility company already up and running is it?

But we don't have a domestic gas utility company up and running do we.

I keep repeating the same message. We could do that and maybe we should do that but at the moment we don't do that.

• Haha 1