Manx Gas MEGA Price Rise

James Blonde

Manx Gas say that there isn't an alternative to price rises but many English companies have closed down!!!

That would seem to be an alternative?

Administrators in, run the company till a buyer is found, Govt or private.

Wouldn't cut the price of gas bhut it is an alternative?

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Happier diner said:

That's correct as well. There are multiple reasons they could not continue and safety being a key one.

Nonsense. They go into administration, the administrators can run them as a going concern, and if we're worried about suppliers a CVA can always pay 100p in the pound to creditors. The trouble doing it that way will be that, as always, Ancala Partners' "investment" will no doubt be as loans, so they'd get their bailout anyway.

I know we can't do it under Manx law but Ancala Partners are based in England so use the High Court. It's been done before.

The idea Ancala Partners LLP would go bust is, of course, laughable. They're just taking the piss out of us.

Edited by Ringy Rose

23 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

Nonsense. They go into administration, the administrators can run them as a going concern, and if we're worried about suppliers a CVA can always pay 100p in the pound to creditors. The trouble doing it that way will be that, as always, Ancala Partners' "investment" will no doubt be as loans, so they'd get their bailout anyway.

I know we can't do it under Manx law but Ancala Partners are based in England so use the High Court. It's been done before.

The idea Ancala Partners LLP would go bust is, of course, laughable. They're just taking the piss out of us.

Where do the administrators get the money from to buy gas?

Where do the administrators get the money from to pay the staff?

Where do the administrators get the money from to buy materials?

Where do the administrators get the money from to pay the bills for services?

Edited by Happier diner
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ringy Rose said:

Surely it is run as a limited company on the Isle of Man. Nothing beyond its own accounts will be available to creditors. If it goes bust the creditors (Mostly IOMG I imagine) will lose all their money.

https://www.dnb.com/business-directory/company-profiles.manx_gas_limited.9f050c0745d3d10467805849a815997a.html

2 hours ago, Ringy Rose said:

Needs a bit more thinking through. 

Edited by Gladys
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Where do the administrators get the money from to buy gas?

Where do the administrators get the money from to pay the staff?

Where do the administrators get the money from to buy materials?

Where do the administrators get the money from to pay the bills for services?

The new buyer ie. the Government. At the moments the public are paying for high gas prices and MG's profits. If they bought MG (which would be on its ass so be worth next to nothing) the public would be paying high gas prices and no profit - a considerable saving.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

Surely it is run as a limited company on the Isle of Man. Nothing beyond its own accounts will be available to creditors. If it goes bust the creditors (Mostly IOMG I imagine) will lose all their money.

https://www.dnb.com/business-directory/company-profiles.manx_gas_limited.9f050c0745d3d10467805849a815997a.html

You do  realise that report is from 1993. ? 

16 minutes ago, Chris C said:

The new buyer ie. the Government. At the moments the public are paying for high gas prices and MG's profits. If they bought MG (which would be on its ass so be worth next to nothing) the public would be paying high gas prices and no profit - a considerable saving.

But all organisations, even statutory boards, should make a profit otherwise they would not be sustainable. Surely Manx Gas have not been making a profit and that's why they are in a state. Can't see the difference between public ownership and private ownership so long as its done right.

The Government is us. I thought the gas price had gone up 400% but Manx Gas were only putting the bills up by 27% so surely they (MG) are taking that hit.

1 hour ago, offshoremanxman said:

The MUA already buys the gas wholesale 

The MUA could take the staff on 

The MUA already maintains a lot of the gas infra

As above the MUA would simply go from wholesale supplier to operator and take out Manx Gas’ profits 

These things are true but there are issues

he MUA already buys the gas wholesale  - I'll wager that Manx Gas owes them millions. That would have to be written off with Government paying the bill. Currently the owners have to find money for this

The MUA could take the staff on - They could and they would only need the operational and maintenance staff

The MUA already maintains a lot of the gas infra - Totally different beast. High pressure pipeline made of steel. Not low pressure and plastic like gas distribution pipes

As above the MUA would simply go from wholesale supplier to operator and take out Manx Gas’ profits And what, not make a profit themselves?

Simply? Not sure about that. Possible yes I agree. But this would have to be planned. My point was that it should not just be left to go bust. I never said it couldn't be bought back in government ownership

• Like 1