Firm closing

finlo

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

I think so.  The one opposite the Bowler was seasonal, the other one was all year round. May have got the street names wrong, but that is what I remember.  The one opposite the Bowler became a Chinese take away. 

The chippy on Melbourne street was operated by my ould Auntie, Molly Bridson, later on it was Henry Cambell's chippy, for the last maybe 20 years it has been a private dwelling. Henry had the chippy in Falcon st prior, this became the City cottage, ending as James Wong.s, both fine takeaways, miss them much.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Happier diner said:

As it self proclaimed aficionados of fish and chips, I have to say, the chippy is on the wrong side of just about mediocre.

Can't understand why Ramsey is blessed with the finest with Peel just behind. 

Douglas is bottom of the pile IMO

Totally disagree, Port Jack have improved immensely. They iffy” at best but recently have been the chippy of choice for me.

4 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Where is the good food on the terrace?

The Terrace Chippy clearly given that I was comparing chippy’s that are close by. You can’t fault the Terrace and no irritating over friendly nosiness when all you’re wanting is some chips. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

The Terrace Chippy clearly given that I was comparing chippy’s that are close by. You can’t fault the Terrace and no irritating over friendly nosiness when all you’re wanting is some chips. 

How dare he be friendly! 

How do you know he’s nosy? 

8 hours ago, HiVibes said:

Great times, no internet and everyone was just so simple...

Theres a lot to be said for bygone days when people weren't expected to carry a phone and be contactable 24/7. When the internet and social media didn't dominate people's social lives. When disinformation and conspiracy theories weren't available at the touch of a button that you carry with you everywhere. 

The other day someone said they were posting from a pub while watching sports and having fun with a few friends. I wondered how this could be so when he was busy arguing with someone here. Doesn't sound like a fun time to me and either he was neglecting his friends, or they were ignoring him and so he may as well argue on here. 

You see this behaviour everywhere. People limiting their face-to-face interaction with others because they're too busy arguing with an anonymous stranger on an internet platform. 

Even the way old school TV is being taken over by on-demand streaming will have a detrimental effect on social interaction. It used to be that at work or school, people would discuss the latest popular TV series the morning after it aired. Today you get asked not to, as some are saving it for the weekend and don't want to hear spoilers. A small thing perhaps, but the internet is encroaching on face-to-face human social interactions in a myriad of small ways and they add up.

As we are social animals, I can't see the increasing drive to live our lives online ending well. Maybe younger people don't see what's happening because they've grown up in the digital age. 

For clarity, this doesn't make me angry, it just makes me sad that younger generations are seemingly welcoming increasing social isolation with open arms. Is it really any wonder why depression, anxiety, and polarisation is increasing in today's society? 

TLDR: pushing people to utilise the internet in every aspect of their lives is a recipe for social disaster. 

• Like 4

its a pity some of you youngsters didn't get the opportunity to eat some decent fish and chips , Cunnliffes  in Hope street  used to be packed out to the doors every night  and  also a whole host of other small chip shops up lanes and back streets in Douglas , chips were cooked in lard then  and the peas in sacks and had to be soaked for a few days before boiling , the Fish (Cod)arrived in full fillets and had to be cut up and battered before cooking 

but the gastronomic experience was amazing proper salt and malt vinegar  not a sodium substitute 

and you could phone a taxi  and he would order  pay for and deliver  your supper when he had a passenger going near your home , pre dates the pizza delivery by 70 years  , life was much more straight forward then ,

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Zarley said:

The other day someone said they were posting from a pub while watching sports and having fun with a few friends. I wondered how this could be so when he was busy arguing with someone here. Doesn't sound like a fun time to me and either he was neglecting his friends, or they were ignoring him and so he may as well argue on here. 

No such thing as "multitasking". It's just not giving anything 100%, because you're doing too many things at once, rather than one thing at a time, and doing them well.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, Gladys said:

I remember Henry.  He had two chippies  one in Falcon Street and another round the corner that was just open during the summer.  He used to give me a free potato  scallop while I waited for the order to be cooked and wrapped and would pretend to pick his nose with a missing finger.  His wife was also just as nice.  Glad to have been reminded. 

So Henry was also friendly and 'nosey'?😉

• Like 2