IOM Energy AKA Manx Gas

Major Rushen

🤣 very true,

Ts&Cs do say

1. The Supplier shall render invoices for Gas, together with any Standing Charges, in respect of each calendar month during the term of the Contract.

That is still open to very wide interpretation - and legal bods fancy offering an opinion?

13 minutes ago, 360 View said:

🤣 very true,

Ts&Cs do say

1. The Supplier shall render invoices for Gas, together with any Standing Charges, in respect of each calendar month during the term of the Contract.

That is still open to very wide interpretation - and legal bods fancy offering an opinion?

They don't say they will render the bill each month but just render bills in respect of each month, so you could argue, somewhat disengenuosly, that giving you an annual invoice broken down by month or 12 bills for each month once a year does that. 

My greater concern is the reports of funds being taken by DD without a bill, that surely has to be contrary to some kind of consumer protection? 

• Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/isle-of-man-energy-customer-says-hes-been-waiting-months-for-response-to-billing-issue/

Where's the regulator? This has been going on for months now yet not a peep out of CURA. WTF are we paying them for?

Not a peep out of our politicos either, Wannenburgh has kept his mouth shut as OFT Head. Not a peep from CM Cannan either. I expected a concerted response from the Manx Labour Party MHKs Joney Faragher and Sarah Maltby, who haven’t been vocal non both criticism of Island Energy, and trying to push for action to resolve this mess. It comes to something when we will have more action from a pressure group than any action from our elected paid handsomely politicians. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The concern about the above is that the Company have allegedly  lied and deceived by claiming the reading was an actual as the customer says he was away and the property was inaccessible at the time in question.    There is something very disturbing going on when no one is questioning the way this company is running it’s business…no one !!

• Like 7

2 hours ago, hissingsid said:

The concern about the above is that the Company have allegedly  lied and deceived by claiming the reading was an actual as the customer says he was away and the property was inaccessible at the time in question.    There is something very disturbing going on when no one is questioning the way this company is running it’s business…no one !!

If IOMG both at a Government level, the Chief Minister and the MHK, along with CURA and the OFT, do nothing and this billing fiasco and other inactions are not resolved, then one can only assume that the state, are involved in widespread fraud, and are actively supporting this. I know this is far fetched, but another theory for this mess is if IOMG put pressure or take action against Island Energy, maybe IS will possibly go into administration. Unlikely but possible. Maybe our politicos gas bills are perfect, meter’s read properly and correctly billed. Perhaps our politicos get emails answered immediately as opposed to emails not being acknowledged, or replies sent. Perhaps our politicos have an alternative contact number for their queries, everyone has to wait ages in a queue, and if they are lucky their call is answered. So far I can only deduce that our politicos both elected and unelected couldn’t give a toss

Edited by 2112
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They missed a golden opportunity to nationalise the whole shit show for peanuts when they cam cap in hand asking for a rise at the beginning of this administration.

Instead they sent MG (a company with a long history of profiteering) a very clear message that they are too important to allow to go bust.

This sort of thing is the inevitable consequence of such short sightedness. MG don't give a fuck - why should they, they know they are bullet proof as the current deafening silence demonstrates.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Perhaps they do not want the hassle of the consequences if this company gets into trouble and are just closing their eyes and hoping the situation will resolve itself they are good at doing this.   Of course this could  be the wisest course of action and the situation could in time sort itself out but in the short term it doesn’t look that likely.    The last thing the government needs is a failing energy company to bail out and then administer.    There appears to be lots of cancelled DDs and people who have not been billed so haven’t paid for their gas…not a great situation for cash flow.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

They missed a golden opportunity to nationalise the whole shit show for peanuts when they cam cap in hand asking for a rise at the beginning of this administration.

Instead they sent MG (a company with a long history of profiteering) a very clear message that they are too important to allow to go bust.

This sort of thing is the inevitable consequence of such short sightedness. MG don't give a fuck - why should they, they know they are bullet proof as the current deafening silence demonstrates.

I think that even when the proverbial shit hits the fan, and if Island Gas go under, IOMG and the DOI under the brilliant leadership of Minister Thomas, will make a complete and utter screw up of things. I wouldn’t trust IOMG to make a success of rescuing/nationalising a failing business. 

It’s deafening silence from all our politicos, and local politicos have also remained quiet. It’s the likes of @Bazza Smurfand others who have got the issues regarding Island Energy into the public eye, and without which the provision of gas and billing would be totally ignored. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

8 hours ago, 2112 said:

I think that even when the proverbial shit hits the fan, and if Island Gas go under, IOMG and the DOI under the brilliant leadership of Minister Thomas, will make a complete and utter screw up of things. I wouldn’t trust IOMG to make a success of rescuing/nationalising a failing business. 

Sadly I think you're right, although the government do own and run a utilities company so that shouldn't be the case, also you'd hope that a gas reseller is going to be a steadily declining business over the next couple of decades.

It would have been better (and a lot cheaper) to nationalise them in an ordered and planned way using the opportunity of the gas price crisis rather than waiting till they go bust, probably due to their own incompetence.

Chris Thomas was quite vocal, defensive even of MG during the price hikes, rebate delays etc.(let bygones be bygones I think was one of his suggestions) I can only assume his complete silence on this latest debacle means he thinks it's indefensible and so with the rest of them is choosing to say nothing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Chris Thomas was quite vocal, defensive even of MG during the price hikes, rebate delays etc.(let bygones be bygones I think was one of his suggestions) I can only assume his complete silence on this latest debacle means he thinks it's indefensible and so with the rest of them is choosing to say nothing.

Chris Thomas nailed his colours to the Manx Gas mast. An idiotic decision and they've made him look an idiot.

CURA have done a decent job of this, I've been impressed with CURA's CEO, but billing is outside their remit. It probably shouldn't be, but it is.

I don't think the MUA would make a horlicks of it, the water and electricity billing works and the customer services actually answer the phone.

• Like 1