Follow the Manxman from South Korea

Albert Tatlock

Electric ferries are being used, but as always one must look carefully at the figures. For instance, the replacement of 500 tons of diesel engine and fuel with 400 tons of electric motor and battery sounds good - but the figures will be for a full fuel tank, which will get empty during the journey, but the battery weight will stay the same.

Then there is the 1MW being sucked out of the grid every time a ferry comes into port - you won't get that from a few windmills on a calm day

And some of the ferries will have 400 tons of batteries - that is a lot of recycling (or land-filling) every few years.

A while ago I saw an Internet item that claimed, in a humorous way, that a WW2 2-litre jeep was the most environmentally friendly car. Fuel consumption isn't too good (but better than some SUVs), but design costs are zero, and overall manufacturing costs are far lower because the vehicles last forever (if something breaks, just weld another bit on).

One should consider not just the implications of a few journeys, nor just the total end-to-end life for a single vehicle, but the end-to-end life of all vehicles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...

I wonder what drills they’re practicing to ensure this doesn’t happen here? EV sparks huge fire onboard cargo ship in the North Sea. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12338705/One-sailor-dead-23-evacuated-burning-18-500-tonne-cargo-ship-carrying-3-000-cars-North-Sea-Holland-electric-vehicle-caught-fire.html

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

I wonder what drills they’re practicing to ensure this doesn’t happen here? EV sparks huge fire onboard cargo ship in the North Sea. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12338705/One-sailor-dead-23-evacuated-burning-18-500-tonne-cargo-ship-carrying-3-000-cars-North-Sea-Holland-electric-vehicle-caught-fire.html

You make sure you have a forklift handy so you can throw the car overboard. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 7/26/2023 at 11:41 AM, offshoremanxman said:

Ive just read there was over 500 EV car fires in London last year,and countless electric bike fires too.This is a huge issue for car ferries  in the future.Hope the Steam Packet stops them travelling till more is known .

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ďouglas Peel said:

Ive just read there was over 500 EV car fires in London last year,and countless electric bike fires too.This is a huge issue for car ferries  in the future.Hope the Steam Packet stops them travelling till more is known .

507 in the last 5 years for Greater London, not last year.

Screenshot-2022-09-20-at-17.07.48.png.we

Edited by slinkydevil
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Omobono said:

so does anyone know why Manxman has not yet entered service as yet , lots of rumours abound that she  is struggling to get a passenger certificate , and a possible problem with tinted  windows , 

answer on a post card please , 

Can't see that. It would be only common sense to take a certification guru over to Korea to give her the once over before taking delivery.

I read a post on FB that the life jackets for the Manxman weren’t up to standards, and the car deck had to be painted as it was slippy when wet. 

There are many stories floating around as to why this boat hasn’t sailed. 

2 minutes ago, 2112 said:

I read a post on FB that the life jackets for the Manxman weren’t up to standards, and the car deck had to be painted as it was slippy when wet. 

There are many stories floating around as to why this boat hasn’t sailed. 

The boat is still floating around too.

I wouldnt believe everything, I mean anything, you read on Facebook. 

8 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

The boat is still floating around too.

I wouldnt believe everything, I mean anything, you read on Facebook. 

True, but it’s not floating to Heysham, certainly not for the foreseeable.