Windfarm could cost up to £40 million

Major Rushen

On 1/25/2024 at 3:45 PM, Happier diner said:

As I read it they paid £36M for gas in the year. If they had had 20MW of electricity from wind per day and a contribution from solar that could have saved £12M. If the cost of the Windfarm and solar is £40M that's a payback of just over 3 years. By my calculation. 

Not sure what the debts have to do with what I quoted. 

And what would be used when there was not enough local wind or solar power to meet demand? If it's nuclear and renewable from UK via an interconnector what is the point of £40m white elephant.

Don't forget you also have to allow for depreciation and maintenance as well as a replacement cost, much like a car. So it'll be £60m-70m cost once the usual goverment inefficiences are taken into consideration. 

• Like 6

Do any of the cost based opponents of the wind farm not remember how much the Pulrose and the gas interconnector cost? Pulrose will not last forever and a lot of the important bits are bespoke manufactured.

Wind plus an ability to tap into the uk / European grid with some planned run off residual fossil capacity with what we have left is the way to go. Landing spaces for cables in the north west of england (because of the number of offshore wind farms their side) is one of the issues which will need to be worked around. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CallMeCurious said:

Don't forget you also have to allow for depreciation and maintenance as well as a replacement cost,

like they haven't done with our current power station then.

11 hours ago, CallMeCurious said:

nd what would be used when there was not enough local wind or solar power to meet demand? If it's nuclear and renewable from UK via an interconnector what is the point of £40m white elephant.

Do you think the UK give us renewable energy for free?

You could say this about a lot of things. That £40M for the asset would have to paid back to the UK one way or another. People don't build windmills for free and then send us the power without recouping the capital cost. Surely make sense to do our own especially when wind is something we have plenty of. You are being a little bit naïve

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

Do you think the UK give us renewable energy for free?

You could say this about a lot of things. That £40M for the asset would have to paid back to the UK one way or another. People don't build windmills for free and then send us the power without recouping the capital cost. Surely make sense to do our own especially when wind is something we have plenty of. You are being a little bit naïve

We have already paid towards the uks green ambitions by currency devaluation due to uk government borrowing to pay for the infrastructure and associated subsidies. 

Scard will cost £100 millions minimum. Completely ill thought out. The brown field site of Jurby, which has easy access to the sea for delivery, and good road access makes the most sense. The hills just south of Peel also make sense. But, Scard is possibly the most stupid place windmills could possibly be put. 

I am not against windmills. I am against stupidity and waste! 

3 minutes ago, Cambon said:

We have already paid towards the uks green ambitions by currency devaluation due to uk government borrowing to pay for the infrastructure and associated subsidies. 

Scard will cost £100 millions minimum. Completely ill thought out. The brown field site of Jurby, which has easy access to the sea for delivery, and good road access makes the most sense. The hills just south of Peel also make sense. But, Scard is possibly the most stupid place windmills could possibly be put. 

I am not against windmills. I am against stupidity and waste! 

You don't seem rather bright though.

1 hour ago, Cambon said:

Scard will cost £100 millions minimum

I doubt it.

1 hour ago, Cambon said:

Scard is possibly the most stupid place windmills could possibly be put.

No. There are more stupid places. A lot more stupid. It might not be the best but I believe the MUA own the land so it has a head start. What makes you think its the worst?

2 hours ago, Happier diner said:

I doubt it.

No. There are more stupid places. A lot more stupid. It might not be the best but I believe the MUA own the land so it has a head start. What makes you think its the worst?

Cost of installation will be more than the cost of the windmills. 

2 hours ago, Happier diner said:
4 hours ago, Cambon said:

Scard will cost £100 millions minimum

I doubt it.

"The report, which outlined the information shared at a workshop in July, was designed to help the operational decision making team select a single site and stressed the costs were "illustrative only".

If the gov. estimates £40 million, the actuality will be greater.

• Like 3

So if we take the starting price of £15,000,000 for Liverpool dock and shed, estimated finish price of north of £80,000,000. The £40,000,000 that is the windmill starting price will leave us out of pocket to the tune of £215,000,000. That is if we take it at the average we seem to get fleeced.   🤑

• Like 2