Windfarm could cost up to £40 million

Major Rushen

47 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

They're not that off-the-shelf..... even a small order like ours would be minimum 3 years most probably 4-5 years.

I'm not so sure you are right about the timescales.

Off the shelf? You are correct they won't have them sat on the shelf waiting to be bought. However the design is standard. Bit like buying an expensive car with a standard spec. Yes they probably have got one waiting ex works but when they make it it will be from a standard set of drawings and to the same design. 

There are a touch under 300 turbines in Ireland,  approx 11,000 in the uk and over 70,000 throughout Europe so the technology is proven.

I can see three turbines on the hillside from where I live and they make zero noise and actually look pretty nice. Nobody in the area mentions them or complains about them. Some of the farmers even rent out their land to electrical providers so they can build them. 

Pretty much every country and continent has them so the Isle of Man is falling behind the rest of the world. Whether that’s on purpose to remain a throwback to the past or just an unwillingness to change I’m not sure. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Cambon said:

You really have no idea, do you? A 200 metre high “sail” requires far stronger footing than a 20 metre tall building. This is a sail that puts great stress on the footings from many directions. The structural engineering bill per windmill will be in the millions. That is before any of the thousands of tons of concrete, per windmill is even ordered. 

What a load of crap.  Have you seen the results of the geological surveys done up there to determine the foundations required?

Do you think they would be more of less on the rock down south than the sand up north?

Why do you think a power station is a bespoke building, Its only on the island and that p$@#k Proffit that it had to have a swooping roof and pointy exhaust stack. Infrastructure was already there cables/coolant, every where else would of just been a box with a door and some windows. Hell they will even build you a modular one just delivered to site, plug and play.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Anthony Ingham said:

What a load of crap.  Have you seen the results of the geological surveys done up there to determine the foundations required?

Do you think they would be more of less on the rock down south than the sand up north?

Yes. The rock up there is generally slate, which crack’s easily. It will have to be blasted and reinforced concrete used. That is after all the trees are felled, the peat and wildlife removed (or killed) and a large part of natural countryside lost forever all for the sake of money. Because, it will not do anything to help climate change, but will bankrupt the island.

Edited by Cambon
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Yes. The rock up there is generally slate, which crack’s easily. It will have to be blasted and reinforced concrete used. That is after all the trees are felled, the peat and wildlife removed (or killed) and a large part of natural countryside lost forever all for the sake of money. Because, it will not do anything to help climate change, but will bankrupt the island.

Ok.  If you say so.

You should contact the people doing all the site investigation work and tell them not to bother as you have already figured it out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It would definitely be cheaper and easier to build them in Jurby. The practicalities speak for themselves.

But for a visual spectacle getting them up Earystane will be much more interesting. There are tons of videos of sections being taken up mad roads, it's going to be well worth a watch to see them figure that out here.

Where can I find the data out about how much energy we have been using over the last 10 or so years? It might be further back, but we're on the 59th page and I'll look if its been said, although it'll be later tonight.

44 minutes ago, Sign in said:

Where can I find the data out about how much energy we have been using over the last 10 or so years? It might be further back, but we're on the 59th page and I'll look if its been said, although it'll be later tonight.

This sight may be helpful.

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Power-consumption-in-the-Isle-of-Man-shown-as-proportions-of-the-different-uses-In-2018_fig1_350546569

What I can't get my head round,( please bear in mind I am all for saving the planet and conservation ) is just how much we are prepared to pay and or sacrifice for our minuscule effect, if any, on the global situation. It seems odd to me that Government behaviour, recently, suggests we are financially in the doo doo ! Penny saving is going on in every area, but we continue to progress a scheme that will cost, well if it comes in anywhere near it's starting point I'll be amazed, at least 40 million. What effect will this have, will it mean we don't have to create greenhouse gases by using fossil fuels NO, will it mean we don't have to source energy elsewhere NO, will it enhance our tourist offering for countryside NO, will it pay off the power station illegal loans NO, will it make life financially easier for the end user NO, will it persuade the major global polluters this is the way to go NO. Will it make a few have a warm fuzzy feeling about our virtue maybe YES.

We could be doing far more than we are in respect of helping individuals in the way of grants, we could be coming up with recycling initiatives and re use of materials on island, but none of this will have the impact the turbines will on the front page.

Sorry to be a cynic but until the major global polluters come in from the cold as it were, the rest of us are bankrupting our economies for sweet fanny adams !

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

I think Asitis has a certain point. If 40m was user to provide free solar panels to all then the demand on the MUA would diminish substantially.  Reducing their revenue and hence ability to repay their debts. We would all find our standing charges increasing to 1,000 per quarter or something. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, asitis said:

What I can't get my head round,( please bear in mind I am all for saving the planet and conservation ) is just how much we are prepared to pay and or sacrifice for our minuscule effect, if any, on the global situation. It seems odd to me that Government behaviour, recently, suggests we are financially in the doo doo ! Penny saving is going on in every area, but we continue to progress a scheme that will cost, well if it comes in anywhere near it's starting point I'll be amazed, at least 40 million. What effect will this have, will it mean we don't have to create greenhouse gases by using fossil fuels NO, will it mean we don't have to source energy elsewhere NO, will it enhance our tourist offering for countryside NO, will it pay off the power station illegal loans NO, will it make life financially easier for the end user NO, will it persuade the major global polluters this is the way to go NO. Will it make a few have a warm fuzzy feeling about our virtue maybe YES.

We could be doing far more than we are in respect of helping individuals in the way of grants, we could be coming up with recycling initiatives and re use of materials on island, but none of this will have the impact the turbines will on the front page.

Sorry to be a cynic but until the major global polluters come in from the cold as it were, the rest of us are bankrupting our economies for sweet fanny adams !

£12m/year off the gas bill is worth considering by anyone's measure. After the (say) 4 year packback period that would be the same as knocking 1% off the higher rate income tax 

20 minutes ago, asitis said:

The IOM Climate Change Team at Net Zero , etc are just some examples of 'greenwashing' :

"is a form of advertising or marketing spin that deceptively uses green PR and green marketing to persuade the public that an organization's products, goals, or policies are environmentally friendly".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenwashing#:~:text=Greenwashing (a compound word modeled,or policies are environmentally friendly.

4 minutes ago, Mercenary said:

£12m/year off the gas bill is worth considering by anyone's measure. After the (say) 4 year packback period that would be the same as knocking 1% off the higher rate income tax 

Let's see their business case...and then compare to the actual outcomes/ results. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Mercenary said:

You can bet your bottom dollar that no one ( at least no one who has paid for it) is going to save a penny at all as a direct result of this scheme !

30 minutes ago, NoTail said:

I think Asitis has a certain point. If 40m was user to provide free solar panels to all then the demand on the MUA would diminish substantially.  Reducing their revenue and hence ability to repay their debts. We would all find our standing charges increasing to 1,000 per quarter or something. 

I am all for the green initiative. I have suggested before that all newbuilds have PV that feeds into the grid. Minimal additional cost that will be recouped in a few years. However, we have a very stupid, waste government. Look at the Lord St flats, sat there. They could be sold to genuine first time buyers, for knock down prices. 
Earlier, J posted a link to IOM energy usage and carbon output. About a quarter of the carbon was produced by electricity generation. Half was home heating. Think abiut that for a minute. If you are cold, put in a sweater. We don’t live in a cold country. If in doubt, try it sometime! 

• Like 1