Registered Buildings

TheTeapot

56 minutes ago, 2bees said:

I always wanted to go to the Crows Nest when I was younger, does it turn?

No, never did.  IIRC correctly each table had the compass bearing under the window, not much use if it was revolving. 

Perhaps confused with the Post Office (BT) Tower in London, which does/did have a revolving floor. 

ETA can see the flawed in my logic about the compass points, but hey!

Edited by Gladys
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

Imagine if they used the front road way and car park area as Bus Terminal (and tourist coaches), and move the taxi rank, pick up/drop off to the side where coaches currently park.

Then you can catch any bus headed along Prom for hotels, trams, shops etc. Already has a newsagent shop, cafe, tourist information, toilets, cash point etc.

Still has small units at the front (car rental?) that could easily sell tickets or I believe they already do that in the Welcome Centre? Existing monitors could be used throughout for bus timetables to display the next 5 or 6 bus departures live update countdown (like they do London Underground.. Next bus to Peel 10 min)

No need to wait 5-10 years and spend millions on a new bus terminal, just make better use of what you already have.

Shame they can't reopen the Crows Nest to the public somehow to take advantage of the views.

This is ridiculously sensible and would solve far more problems than it would create  

It will never happen. 

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, CallMeCurious said:

Imagine if they used the front road way and car park area as Bus Terminal (and tourist coaches), and move the taxi rank, pick up/drop off to the side where coaches currently park.

Then you can catch any bus headed along Prom for hotels, trams, shops etc. Already has a newsagent shop, cafe, tourist information, toilets, cash point etc.

Still has small units at the front (car rental?) that could easily sell tickets or I believe they already do that in the Welcome Centre? Existing monitors could be used throughout for bus timetables to display the next 5 or 6 bus departures live update countdown (like they do London Underground.. Next bus to Peel 10 min)

No need to wait 5-10 years and spend millions on a new bus terminal, just make better use of what you already have.

Shame they can't reopen the Crows Nest to the public somehow to take advantage of the views.

A experimental band played an afternoon gig at the Crow's Nest a few years ago. I think a few old-timers went to get a look at the view.  I'd never been up there before. Shame it's not used. 

I'm not convinced by the Bus Station at the Sea Terminal idea. Good if you've got off the boat and have to wait for the bus. I got the boat from Liverpool the other week and it arrived when there was a quite a wait to the last bus, so I tried to wait inside the Sea Terminal, but was kicked out because the Sea Terminal was shutting. Presumably, the Sea Terminal would stay open until the last buses had gone - it's a pretty chilly spot to wait outside when the wind's blowing.

Also good place if you need to change buses or wait if you have a long wait. I think I would be less likely to use it than the current bus station - simply because it's a little bit further to walk and windier when there are alternative stops on Lord Street, Woodbourne Road or the Prom for every route. It would change the character of the Sea Terminal - more footfall for the business but would there be an impact on the sea passengers. Would there be an issue with the cars disembarking on mass and throwing off the bus timetable?

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, 0bserver said:

The island would benefit from  a purge of registered buildings. So few of them are actually that good/interesting/unique. 

An 18 month purge would help. De-register them all and let owners re-apply for registered status if they wished. Also include conservation areas in that. 

Are you @Josem in disguise ? Im not sure any building owner would want the added cost of owning a registered building. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, CallMeCurious said:

What a marvellous idea, like this article I found from 10 years ago with a younger version of everyone's favourite reporter :) lovely quote from John Quaye "It's too obvious

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, b4mbi said:

What a marvellous idea, like this article I found from 10 years ago with a younger version of everyone's favourite reporter :) lovely quote from John Quaye "It's too obvious

So much common sense in that. I’m not surprised no one listened to him. Not complicated enough! Too cheap! 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Declan said:

A experimental band played an afternoon gig at the Crow's Nest a few years ago. I think a few old-timers went to get a look at the view.  I'd never been up there before. Shame it's not used. 

I'm not convinced by the Bus Station at the Sea Terminal idea. Good if you've got off the boat and have to wait for the bus. I got the boat from Liverpool the other week and it arrived when there was a quite a wait to the last bus, so I tried to wait inside the Sea Terminal, but was kicked out because the Sea Terminal was shutting. Presumably, the Sea Terminal would stay open until the last buses had gone - it's a pretty chilly spot to wait outside when the wind's blowing.

Also good place if you need to change buses or wait if you have a long wait. I think I would be less likely to use it than the current bus station - simply because it's a little bit further to walk and windier when there are alternative stops on Lord Street, Woodbourne Road or the Prom for every route. It would change the character of the Sea Terminal - more footfall for the business but would there be an impact on the sea passengers. Would there be an issue with the cars disembarking on mass and throwing off the bus timetable?

Buses/coaches only at the front, pick up and drop off around the side. The current car park layout is pretty crap, maybe link it up with the bottleneck to make better use of the area (shelter for horse tram terminus and not dropping people on the road), put car drop off, taxis and disabled spaces at the side.

Easy enough to time special looped routes for ferry arrivals (in case of delays) to pick up hotels. Punt car hire over to the car park next to Steam Packet Offices and reclaim the office space (used to be vehicle licensing which now ought to be at Tromode anyway) and put a decent drivers lounge for ferry passengers that end.

Doesn't all need to be done over night but a progressive staged development over 4-5 years.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Declan said:

A relative used to work there when the kitcehsn were on the 1st floor and there was a dumb waieter to the Crows Nest and I've had occasion to work on the building over the years. Yes there are compass points on the window sills. No, it doesn't revolve. But if it was stripped back with a kitchen below and dumb waiter to a servery by the lift shaft in the centre (Tower House has this arrangement) then you could have an almost 360 degree view from anywhere in the space.

Can you imagine events such as fire works displays, Halloween, Christmas, New Years and various charity and sport prize events (Tower of Refuge lit accordingly)? 

• Like 1