Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

42 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

I can’t do before takeover, but I can easily do a completely random for now and am confident it will back up that most items are at least 5p more, which is what you keep denying

So when you do, make sure that you take account of offers available on Clubcard for the items you choose. That's what a typical shopper would do.

In other words don't buy a single unit that has a 5% uplift in IOM when you could buy 4 of the same thing for around twice the unit price both here and in the UK. That's what you did on your last list, and it isn't a realistic assessment.

14 minutes ago, IOM said:

Ok then explain why Tesco choose to have around 15000 products in the store if nobody wants them or is buying them ? 

The average supermarket carries far in excess of 15000 lines

Based on research you would appear to be about 100% incorrect . So at least you are consistent.

according to the Food Marketing Institute, the average supermarket carries an estimated 31,530 items as of 2022

3 minutes ago, emesde said:

The average supermarket carries far in excess of 15000 lines

Based on research you would appear to be about 100% incorrect . So at least you are consistent.

according to the Food Marketing Institute, the average supermarket carries an estimated 31,530 items as of 2022

So I wonder what percentage of sales the top 1000 bestselling items would represent. 

7 minutes ago, IOM said:

I used the term appears to I never said you do ! 

I’ve repeatedly made it clear I don’t. Even quantified it for you. Anyway, went back and checked. It was 16 out of 122 on that shop.

So, it can only “appear” if you’re deliberately trying to misrepresent.

10 minutes ago, IOM said:

Ok so how many Club card offers and multibuys are there and how many Aldi price match are there ? I can tell you about 1000 combined. Then ask yourself how many products there are in the store . I can tell you it’s about 15000 so there remains a lot of product that varies . If you only buy club card offers and Aldi price match as John appears to then that’s fine but you are allowing Tesco to determine what you consume . Some people prefer to buy to their own choice and preferred favourite brands .,

do you remember when shoprite had a club card system too ??  no doubt life was all good then when they offered some discounts on certain things if you bought in multiples.

10 minutes ago, woolley said:

So when you do, make sure that you take account of offers available on Clubcard for the items you choose. That's what a typical shopper would do.

In other words don't buy a single unit that has a 5% uplift in IOM when you could buy 4 of the same thing for around twice the unit price both here and in the UK. That's what you did on your last list, and it isn't a realistic assessment.

Who has time for that when they are shopping.

We do pretty much daily shops and buy what we want.  I am not going to spend time weighing up the cheapest way to buy beans, I just pick up the nearest tin of beans.

Is this why I so often have to reach past people standing staring at the shelves?

3 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

We do pretty much daily shops and buy what we want.  I am not going to spend time weighing up the cheapest way to buy beans, I just pick up the nearest tin of beans.

Is this why I so often have to reach past people standing staring at the shelves?

(Must be nice to be rich…)

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Who has time for that when they are shopping.

One of the reasons I do a weekly shop on line for home delivery. I get trolley rage otherwise. Plus I can’t reach stuff on higher shelves.

23 minutes ago, emesde said:

Is that 'items' or distinct SKUs?

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

What we need, and don’t have, is a comparison between an identical random basket at Lake Road and a nearby superstore in England, before take over and now.

Don't we have a government department or office that can tell us that?

20 minutes ago, kevster said:

Is that 'items' or distinct SKUs?

Not sure as the report doesn't specify.But I believe it is product items.

Obviously if it was SKU it would give a higher figure . However it would also give a false and inflated product figure as every different pack of the same product would need it's own designated number. Eg if there was a consumer offer or added value pack etc etc .

52 minutes ago, WTF said:

do you remember when shoprite had a club card system too ??  no doubt life was all good then when they offered some discounts on certain things if you bought in multiples.

I remember the loyalty card. But I also remember thinking it was pointless.

See what I did there😁

• Like 1

They seem to change the items in the imaginary basket from time to time and I think sometimes it is just to show what they want you to see sort of a smoke and mirrors effect.   I know a good accountant can make figures figures show what needs to be shown , without any wrongdoing, presentation is everything .   It is swings and roundabouts with shopping and if you have the time and means to shop around and take advantage of offers you have a distinct advantage.    As for shopping daily that is what I would describe as hand to mouth shopping and such a waste of time but each to their own .