Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

6 hours ago, IOM said:

Why does there have to be a B side ? I don’t understand why some posters don’t seem bothered that their good groceries are costing a lot more . I commented about the Express store and  Lake Road pricing . I carried out analysis to demonstrate this and help people understand. Perhaps you might like to explain what you have done to help people ? 

(Yawn). They are not costing a lot more. They cost about 2% more across a typical shop before the takeover, and they cost about 3% more across a typical shop now. An increase, yes indeed, but a small one - a penny in the pound. The reason for the discrepancy is that you take no account of the way people actually buy goods, availing of Clubcard multibuys and Aldi price matching which cover thousands of popular items at the same price as in the UK.

6 hours ago, IOM said:

I was not bothered before the takeover because the level of discrepancy was very low . I don’t know why you keep going on about your shopping list it’s entirely irrelevant if the facts show there are clear demonstrable differences to prices in superstores across . I sent across a whole load of products in earlier posts that clearly show a 5% difference I just don’t get why you dispute it . Nor do I get why so many of you seem so utterly uninterested in the fact that you are now paying a lot more for your groceries it’s just madness ! 

Because a shopping list is what is relevant to a real person. It doesn't matter that you post up a load of items with 5% on them. I've previously demonstrated to you that many of those items were available on offer at same as UK price on Clubcard price or multibuy offers or in different sizes, so the total effect is about 1% in a real world experience. Not "a lot more".

• Like 2

12 hours ago, IOM said:

some posters only ever want to see one side of the argument

You mean like you, who won’t accept the findings of anyone, including @woolley and myself, that the price differential is much less than 5%.

• Like 2

All too many on here seem to be missing the elephant in the room. Shipping costs...the Steam Packet have just announced another 5% raise for this year. Plus there's always been a requirement to double-handle the movement of containers unloaded here. And empty containers heading back to the UK don't pay their way.

Every little rise doesn't help. But can surely explain some of these differentials?

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

All too many on here seem to be missing the elephant in the room. Shipping costs...the Steam Packet have just announced another 5% raise for this year. Plus there's always been a requirement to double-handle the movement of containers unloaded here. And empty containers heading back to the UK don't pay their way.

Every little rise doesn't help. But can surely explain some of these differentials?

I think many have noted that there is an additional cost for UK retailers operating here, the main one being transport, so the elephant in the room has been recognised. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, woolley said:

Because a shopping list is what is relevant to a real person. It doesn't matter that you post up a load of items with 5% on them. I've previously demonstrated to you that many of those items were available on offer at same as UK price on Clubcard price or multibuy offers or in different sizes, so the total effect is about 1% in a real world experience. Not "a lot more".

We don’t ever use a shopping list or look at offers.  Do people really go with a set list and hunt round the shop for them?

We just pick up what we like the look of and buy it.  I honestly couldn’t tell you the price of any items, but the idea that we now pay more on island than we did before winds me right up.

Its easily checked online and we pay a good wedge more than UK now.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Anthony Ingham said:

We don’t ever use a shopping list or look at offers.  Do people really go with a set list and hunt round the shop for them?

We just pick up what we like the look of and buy it.  I honestly couldn’t tell you the price of any items, but the idea that we now pay more on island than we did before winds me right up.

Its easily checked online and we pay a good wedge more than UK now.

This is just the same as @IOM. You are taking the same curious line, ignoring many popular items that are the same as the UK if you buy correctly, and it's all been addressed before. My reference to a list was alluding to the contents of a personal shop. You don't so much go with a physical list as simply know where all of your regular stuff is, and you just charge round the place and grab it. There is no hunting involved at all, and if you think there is, it strikes me that you are unfamiliar with the procedure. If you normally buy a pack of 30 of something but packs of 10 are on offer so that 3 of those are cheaper (and at the UK price!!) then obviously you buy those instead. It is blindingly obvious on a multiplicity of big signs on the shelves. You don't even have to engage brain. Same if you buy online. The offers jump out at you. Some people must be completely inept.

In IoM we pay about 3% more than when we do the same shop in the UK, and that is up from 2% before the Shoprite takeover. The difference about a penny in the pound more now than before. If you call that "a good wedge" then fine.

Then again, why would we expect to get everything at the same price as the UK when we have the Steam Packet between there and here? This time last year it cost us 2% more. Now it costs us 3% more. I think that is reasonable. I do appreciate that there is potential for it to change adversely. Have to wait and see.

• Like 3

The fire service says it’s investigating after a blaze broke out in Onchan earlier.

Fire crews were called to Shoprite in Village Walk shortly after 9am.

Firefighters tackled a fire which had caught in pallets and packaging – there was no damage to the building.

The Fire and Rescue Service says the cause of the fire is now under investigation.