Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

2 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Not to the scale of Tesco. 

Scale should not matter in fact it should be the reverse we should be helping local businesses not large corporate entities! 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, IOM said:

I assume this comment is levelled at some of my contributions on this subject in which case I don’t find it very helpful ! I don’t think cheap laughs around a subject which will be quite important for some people is appropriate. 

Cheap and misleading shot from John as per - you've only correctly highlighted the price difference between comparable Tesco's in IOM/UK (only brought in with the Shoprite acquisition)

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, IOM said:

Am not entirely sure why Manx radio keep running extended pieces about the Tesco new stores and what’s in them . Seems to me like free advertising for Tesco do they report in this way if other stores on the island get upgraded and refurbished? 

I'm sure when another retailer comes to the Island and spends hundreds of thousands building or refurbing a business and  creating 60 or so extra new jobs they will also get mention from the media. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, emesde said:

I'm sure when another retailer comes to the Island and spends hundreds of thousands building or refurbing a business and  creating 60 or so extra new jobs they will also get mention from the media. 

Mention it by all means but giving them a platform to talk about what’s in the store is not quite right in my opinion. Also the reporter asked about pricing but did not even begin to challenge the Tesco Director he was just able to provide a simple answer / waffle of we will offer ongoing good value . For him he got the easiest ride ever ! 

• Sad 1

Why on earth would a reporter want to give a director of Tesco a hard time for redeveloping run down stores and creating new jobs .  ? 

it's not investigative  journalism required in a good news story .

Edited by emesde
Spelliing
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, emesde said:

Why on earth would a reporter want to give a director of Tesco a hard time for redeveloping a run down stores and creating new jobs .  .? 

it's not investigative  journalism required in a good news story .

Did you listen to the interview? The topic of pricing came up and she said some people are concerned about pricing but you say that’s not the case -that was it ! That’s my point I agree you would not challenge the redevelopment but I might have expected a little more probing when specifically asking about price . 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, IOM said:

No there are a few posters on here including you who ridiculed my analysis. Fair enough go ahead but let’s be clear to a lot of people the cost of groceries and knowing what’s going on in a cost of living crisis is an important matter . To mock and laugh is not very appropriate in my mind . 

Have I really ridiculed, other than pointing out a few oddities? Nor am I mocking or laughing.

You have posted out the price anomalies between here and the UK, that was useful as I have said.  But people will be able to make their own assessment when picking a product off the shelves and paying at the checkout.  We have what we have and it is yet to be seen things will settle. 

A really useful comparison would have been with Shoprite prices pre-takeover, however.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, IOM said:

Did you listen to the interview? The topic of pricing came up and she said some people are concerned about pricing but you say that’s not the case -that was it ! That’s my point I agree you would not challenge the redevelopment but I might have expected a little more probing when specifically asking about price . 

When people go to the new Tesco in Victoria Rd they will be able to get a huge range of products and by far most of those will be at a price lower than they could have bought the same things  when it was a ShopRite.

Why are you so obsessed with that being wrong?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

Have I really ridiculed, other than pointing out a few oddities? Nor am I mocking or laughing.

You have posted out the price anomalies between here and the UK, that was useful as I have said.  But people will be able to make their own assessment when picking a product off the shelves and paying at the checkout.  We have what we have and it is yet to be seen things will settle. 

A really useful comparison would have been with Shoprite prices pre-takeover, however.

You were very flippant by suggesting all the price comparisons I offered were not typical of a weekly shop . You said everything was sugary and ridiculed the inclusion of Battenberg ! I pointed out it was a balanced shop covering a multitude of products from produce , meat , dairy , grocery and household probably one of the most balanced lists you could get .  All along you and others have sought to make fun of the analysis and the comment from @John Wright this morning further emphasises it . 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, emesde said:

When people go to the new Tesco in Victoria Rd they will be able to get a huge range of products and by far most of those will be at a price lower than they could have bought the same things  when it was a ShopRite.

Why are you so obsessed with that being wrong?

My central point is and remains that Tesco Lake Road shoppers ( and those shopping online)  paying a lot more since the acquisition. Why are you so obsessed about not wanting to know the facts ? 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Declan said:

I generally value the insight your research brings to the forum. But sometimes i wonder if it is healthy

Don't worry.  I didn't actually traipse round Victoria Road with a tape measure.  Them new-fangled computers are wonderful things and the Manngis app has an area-measuring tool.  It took about 30 seconds.

• Like 1

Just now, IOM said:

You were very flippant by suggesting all the price comparisons I offered were not typical of a weekly shop . You said everything was sugary and ridiculed the inclusion of Battenberg ! I pointed out it was a balanced shop covering a multitude of products from produce , meat , dairy , grocery and household probably one of the most balanced lists you could get .  All along you and others have sought to make fun of the analysis and the comment from @John Wright this morning further emphasises it . 

But it was a sugary list.  Do a comparison of essentials, not fripperies like battenburg.  I did compare some essential items and posted in response.  You are quick to say you are being told not to post, closing down debate,  no one has said that to you.  What I have said is take it up with someone who can something about it, like Tesco.

3 minutes ago, WTF said:

they should have had a copper on point duty up there today,  it was like TT week for traffic 

You'd hope this would make it easier for customers to get near the car park on Lake Road, but I doubt it will. Strangely, this always seems to be packed to the gunwales 9-5 every weekday, even when the store itself doesn't seem commensurately busy. It's almost as if a bunch of selfish chunts are just taking advantage of the free parking. (See also Nobles Hospital...)