Isle of Man Budget 2024

Maugholdmafia

3 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Timbo proudly proclaims that hiking bus fares for schoolkids will net Govt another £45k.

Once again, we see that it's all about revenue. Nothing about any adverse effects. Most bus fares are subsidised if it's a public service, especially if we are trying to wean people off their cars.

But the priority is that we got to keep those growing numbers of fat arses in salaries and their pension entitlement.

Screenshot_20240306-101702_Samsung Internet.jpg

Another soundbite from Crookall (3FM News) now tells us that the kid's bus rate rise was kept quiet as long as possible to prevent parents rushing to top up their Go Cards at the old lower rate.

We have got to be absolutely desperate...

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Another soundbite from Crookall (3FM News) now tells us that the kid's bus rate rise was kept quiet as long as possible to prevent parents rushing to top up their Go Cards at the old lower rate.

It's worth listening to the sound clip on the 3FM piece.  Crookall seems to think they are being terribly responsible and clever rather than petty and missing the bigger picture.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Bit of a dick move really. I mean by all means do it to protect your budget but don’t gloat about it publicly. Jeez. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

My granddaughter and boyfriend (23 and 27). Both good jobs and prospects are seriously looking at leaving the island. I am encouraging them. If I was younger I would be doing the same. 

Can't see Alfs dream of increasing population having any realistic prospect of success. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, NoTail said:

My granddaughter and boyfriend (23 and 27). Both good jobs and prospects are seriously looking at leaving the island. I am encouraging them. If I was younger I would be doing the same. 

Can't see Alfs dream of increasing population having any realistic prospect of success. 

Leave - go and see more of the world while you're young and not burdened with children.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Banker said:

Where’s the source for the figures you quoted?

You want me to provide a source for the tax and NI rates in the IOM and UK?

https://www.gov.im/categories/tax-vat-and-your-money/income-tax-and-national-insurance/individuals/residents/rates-and-allowances/ 22% income tax

https://www.gov.im/categories/tax-vat-and-your-money/income-tax-and-national-insurance/national-insurance-contributions/rates-and-thresholds/  11% VAT

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/rates-and-allowances-income-tax/income-tax-rates-and-allowances-current-and-past   20% income tax up to £37,701 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68481815 since announced. 8% NI

https://www.gov.im/about-the-government/departments/cabinet-office/statistics-isle-of-man/earnings-survey/  Median gross wage in IOM £673 per week = £35k pa

Where's your evidence for - "If we followed UK the vast majority of workers would be paying substantially more in taxes"

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Bit of a dick move really. I mean by all means do it to protect your budget but don’t gloat about it publicly. Jeez. 

It just reinforces what I posted before; the revenue is everything. Nothing else matters.

Welcome to the two tier world of IoM, Govt's society and everybody else.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

It just reinforces what I posted before; the revenue is everything. Nothing else matters.

Welcome to the two tier world of IoM, Govt's society and everybody else.

It absolutely is about revenue, but there are a lot of things which could be slashed before putting the burden on already hard pressed taxpayers. Net Zero, CRHS replacement for example. We are suffering because the UK is suffering and we need to be focusing on things we can afford to do without, which are not important in contributing to the island's income and the wellbeing of its residents. 

The promenade isn't finished, the place looks like a shithole, we are not attracting people and businesses and yet we keep frittering around with grandiose schemes which make the politicians and CS feel as though we are achieving something. 

I was in Liverpool a few days ago, and the level of building and investment never seems to slow. Our ferry terminal though is plodding along whilst several apartment blocks have sprung up, some occupied, which were not even started when ours was in full swing, if that's the right term. This is symptomatic of the lack of drive, vision and ability which pervades those who are in charge uf this island!  

• Like 2

23 hours ago, 2112 said:

The NPM has an article today regarding GNP figures, which has come in for criticism from John Webster, fmr IOMG Economist. It looks like maybe in some cases, the island is either asleep or blase about statistics. 

Writing an article about the GDP of the 2021/22 being "up" 10.3% compared to the previous year, without even mentioning that the "previous year" was the COVID year of multiple lockdowns, is absurd. 2020/21 is such a big outlier in modern economic history that it is absurd to make comparisons to it without highlighting the fact.

A more reasonable benchmark would be the 2019/20 year, immediately prior to the major COVID impacts.

Every time that people write about the 2020/21 financial year, it should come with a giant asterisk: "THERE WAS COVID LOCKDOWNS HERE."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Josem said:

Writing an article about the GDP of the 2021/22 being "up" 10.3% compared to the previous year, without even mentioning that the "previous year" was the COVID year of multiple lockdowns, is absurd. 2020/21 is such a big outlier in modern economic history that it is absurd to make comparisons to it without highlighting the fact.

A more reasonable benchmark would be the 2019/20 year, immediately prior to the major COVID impacts.

Every time that people write about the 2020/21 financial year, it should come with a giant asterisk: "THERE WAS COVID LOCKDOWNS HERE."

Plus the year post covid people were out splurging the money they hadn't been able to spend. 

Certainly seen it in my business.  21/22 was significantly up on 19/20 (and 20/21 obviously) but then 22/23 has leveled off a bit to be more realistic and slightly up on 19/20. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Plus the year post covid people were out splurging the money they hadn't been able to spend.

Govt workers might have been as they remained on full pay for the covid duration.

Others had seen their income hammered as they hadn't been able to work and were not in receipt of the same largesse as PS and had had to exist on covid payments. Personally, it took me a year to get my finances back on track, post covid. There was no splurging on my part.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Josem said:

Well obviously that needs to be pointed out, but there are technical problems with missing out a year.  And the latest figures are for 2021-22 where there were still restrictions while vaccination was being completed.  The National Income Report does include a table showing the percentage change in constant price GDP and GNP over the last 30-odd years and here is the most recent decade:

image.png.f35b76f65cfc3fed0072c182f6a21303.png

image.png.d71bbc610b87bc3ebec31d364109db9f.png

As you can most of the increase comes from inflation anyway, but the fact that GNP dropped for a second year was clearly what was worrying Webster, plus the time it was taking for the figures to be published (nearly two years, ONS usually have quarterly figures in a couple of months. 

Edited by Roger Mexico
Add link

26 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Govt workers might have been as they remained on full pay for the covid duration.

Others had seen their income hammered as they hadn't been able to work and were not in receipt of the same largesse as PS and had had to exist on covid payments. Personally, it took me a year to get my finances back on track, post covid. There was no splurging on my part.

Sorry to hear you were one of the victims, but it wasn't just Govt remaining on full pay. 

The vast majority of office workers who were able to work from home saw no change to their salary and in my experience in the private sector for the most part were genuinely working (I can tell you me and the wife were, whilst doing full time childcare for a 2 year old - it was an absolute nightmare.  Tag teaming between work and kid for 2/3 hours each time.  Generally for me meant starting work at 7am and not finishing till 8/9 pm). 

The difference for us was there were no holidays, hospitality etc, places to actually spend money other than at Tesco.  So we came out with more savings.  

For me the in Finance industry, it seemed like a lot of people were sat around thinking what to do with their money and investments, so accordingly business was up. 

Interestingly there are big issues in the some industries only now biting from Covid.  E.g Bicycles - loads of people bought bikes with their savings to get out and do something.  It artificially inflated the market to the point that they couldn't imagine it was only temporary and a decrease in business would be a delayed knock on.  There are now many bike brands, stores etc all going bust.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carltonreid/2023/08/11/cycle-industrys-collapse-after-bike-boom-ends-this-year-say-analysts/?sh=50038cc66d90

Edited by The Phantom
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

I think it looks like the wheels are coming off, more than desperate...........

I always try and tune into Manx Radio if I am in range for the 9am news.

The Tim Crookall interview this morning was shocking, how dare the plebs plan ahead and buy tickets.

"We*, loose a fortune when we announce fare increases ahead of time" or words to that effect, so we* don't give notice.

"We*" Is the word to remember, in this statement it means DOI "we" not taxpayers "we"

Is that MHK not supposed to be a representative of his constituency? 

Not a gobshite for DOI?

Take you pick which one you think they are........

All for £45k  which is about 1/3 of the amount your gov lost when they stopped charging CS/ MHKs for parking. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Banker said:

VAT Threshold upped to £90k so assume that will cost us some money 

Shouldn't make so much difference, and if it had kept pace with inflation it would be well over 100k.

• Thanks 3