Isle of Man Budget 2024

Maugholdmafia

7 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

"Chat GPT, write me a 200-page AI strategy containing enough management buzzwords and pretty pictures to pull the wool over the eyes of a bunch of incompetent civil servants."

That'll be £300k, please.

Edited by Sheldon
£300k, not £100k - it's a 3-year gig!
  • Haha 5

At £100,000 per year will he work in isolation (e.g. as a highly paid surgeon might) or will he require a large number of also highly paid people to implement his AI generated ideas?

"establish the Isle of Man as a Centre of international excellence for AI."

I like that. Especially the capital C. Perhaps they want the acronym for the office to be COIEFAI. Hmmm... The FA might be appropriate.

I feel the need to repeat my experience when I lost my driving licence whilst I was away a few months ago.

To get the replacement licence I had to download form DL1 from the DoI website, go to a shop which printed me a copy; went next door to buy a black biro; filled in the form and went back to the shop which scanned in the form; sent it to my neighbour in Ramsey who printed it off and took it to the Post Office in Ramsey, where it was taken by van to Douglas, where they scanned in the document and then ran Optical Character Recognition software on it (probably requiring manual amendments) and  then they sent me the licence - in Ramsey.

Exceptionally 20th Century.

[When the licence arrived it was so faded my face is an oval line with a couple of black dots for my eyes. It looks like a bad fake. I took a photo of it and emailed the DoI asking if it was OK. Their response was "Nothing wrong with that". ]

"surface opportunities"...

1 hour ago, Sheldon said:

"Chat GPT, write me a 200-page AI strategy containing enough management buzzwords and pretty pictures to pull the wool over the eyes of a bunch of incompetent civil servants."

That'll be £300k, please.

Whilst £100k is clearly a lot of money it’s certainly not a lot for senior / thought leaders in the AI space.  They may get someone on a part time basis for the money but the chances of them getting someone full time is I think very minimal.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

At £100,000 per year will he work in isolation (e.g. as a highly paid surgeon might) or will he require a large number of also highly paid people to implement his AI generated ideas?

"establish the Isle of Man as a Centre of international excellence for AI."

Chat GPT “Please write me a report on how a small independent crown dependency in the Irish Sea with its own independent legal and tax system can become a centre of excellence for artificial intelligence”

Here’s my invoice for three years salary at £100K a year. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, mayhem said:

Whilst £100k is clearly a lot of money it’s certainly not a lot for senior / thought leaders in the AI space.  They may get someone on a part time basis for the money but the chances of them getting someone full time is I think very minimal.

A thought leader? Jeez, real big brother or is that just gobbledy gook speak?

1 hour ago, doc.fixit said:

A thought leader? Jeez, real big brother or is that just gobbledy gook speak?

Not just a thought leader, but a "thought leader in the AI space".

Proof positive. They are all space cadets.

• Haha 3