Cruise ships targeted

19 minutes ago, asitis said:

The fiscal problems here, are the Government and Civil Service the remaining taxpayers can't afford !

But it's ok, Alf says it's not growing....

700 more later.....

• Like 2

Do you mean his nose, will be lnteresting to see which of the right honorable ladie's and gents decide not to stand at the next election to pursue family and/or other interests. I think Alfie boy like Quale before him has seen the writing on the wall, and then let's hope the ones that should be gone get shown the door. IMO. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Well a quote of £11M (albeit in 2018) is not going to happen when it's costing £6.6M+ for a dolphin at the end of the pier.

it's costing £6.6M+ for a dolphin at the end of the pier.

FFS - we could probably get Flipper for a few bucketsfull of Sardines!

• Haha 6

47 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Do you mean his nose, will be lnteresting to see which of the right honorable ladie's and gents decide not to stand at the next election to pursue family and/or other interests. I think Alfie boy like Quale before him has seen the writing on the wall, and then let's hope the ones that should be gone get shown the door. IMO. 

Once you have been CM you can’t go any higher. I don’t know if anyone has been elected CM on multiple occasions? 

19 hours ago, Declan said:

Alternatively, the government spends a lot of money on heritage sites etc aimed at tourists. Normally visitors pay the Steam Packet or an airline to get here upon which the government takes duties and stay in a hotel whose staff pay taxes. Even those that stay with family buy food and drink whilst they're here. 

But a cruise ship passenger, doesn't spend much time here - no Steam Packet fare, no airport duty, no accommodation costs. A small lunchtime snack, maybe a souvenir.  Why shouldn't the government seek to maximise the revenue, otherwise why invite them?

But you haven't taken for the massive increase in fridge magnet sales, the 1000% increase year on year, This alone should cover the cost, so no increase  would be need from stealth Dr Death in Treasury. I always thought he was called Dr Death because of the assisted dying bill, but now it because of the assisted dying from stealth taxes to local businesses.

Edited by Holte End
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, 2112 said:

Once you have been CM you can’t go any higher. I don’t know if anyone has been elected CM on multiple occasions? 

It was well known at the time, c2011, that Tony Brown wanted to be President of Tynwald, after he'd been CM, so he presumably perceived it as a step up. 

He was taken to one side, and told that Tynwald would not elect him, so he retired instead.

Edited by Nellie

It’s just the standard run of updating fee regulations in the immediate post budget period. It’s Treasury led and the anticipated ( increased ) income is shown in the pink book. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Which begs the question, why are the rest of the local population being fiscally leaned on to such a degree in the name of saving said planet?

This. Increasing income tax to "save" manxcare while pissing away millions on climate change stuff at the same time as cruise ships are actively invited here is ridiculous.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, HiVibes said:

The fiscal problems are the massive ball out from COVID which fucked over the young for the sake of the burdensome old and the cost of living crisis driven by the dependency on hydrocarbons. Climate change whether you understand it or not is not the problem.

The cost of living “crisis” was actually caused by the UK’s obsession with low inflation over the last decade or so.
In 2019 I visited the USA for a couple of weeks and was shocked at how expensive it was compared with previous visits. I said to my wife at the time, “The UK is in for a big shock very soon. Prices will have to catch up.”  
Now it is happening. 

8 hours ago, Amadeus said:

This. Increasing income tax to "save" manxcare while pissing away millions on climate change stuff at the same time as cruise ships are actively invited here is ridiculous.

Bit of a volte face? You were mad for this green nonsense and electric cars. Mind you, there's little more eco friendly than a nice old diesel S-Class.

13 hours ago, CrazyDave said:

Top of my head.  Miles Walker and Donald Gelling.  

Miles Walker condescending? I don’t think so.

Not to give too much away he helped me out of a sticky situation when we were both stuck abroad.

Donald Gelling, well I met and talked to him on a couple of ( prawn sandwich) occasions, Like Mr Walker not in the least condescending.

Farmers both, imbued with common sense.

I spent my working career on the IOM in the financial services sector and I’d rather place my faith in the likes of those two than what we have at the moment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1