To pee or not to pee

1 hour ago, Shake me up Judy said:

But that was the beauty of comprehensive education and inclusivity. We put all the kids who didn't want to learn in the same classes as those that did. We were promised that it would level up education. The reality was somewhat different but nobody listened. That's how we've ended up where we are with the kids effectively in charge, because the teachers have little real power or authority. It's mostly nominal authority.

Totally correct.

1 hour ago, Barlow said:

In my day that would have been less than 8.

I suggest that all the pee-ers be put in the same class and leave them to it. It means they will have a lifetime of dole and drug dealing I realise, but it would allow the children who want to learn and be educated to progress

You'd think they'd at least pay attention in maths and business studies, so they can effectively launder money in the future. 

1 hour ago, Shake me up Judy said:

But that was the beauty of comprehensive education and inclusivity. We put all the kids who didn't want to learn in the same classes as those that did. We were promised that it would level up education. The reality was somewhat different but nobody listened. That's how we've ended up where we are with the kids effectively in charge, because the teachers have little real power or authority. It's mostly nominal authority.

it did level up education , it held the smarter kids back.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

For me a wider curriculum with more practical and vocational subjects is vital. The current system doesn't fit for so many.

The lesson everyday should be having the right attiude and being a team player.

The information is just that. Who cares about how atoms bump into each other or how to do quadratic equations.

• Like 1

There has been a shift in tertiary education.  90s to about 2010 there was the expectation that anyone remotely intelligent had to go to University to get any kind of well paid job, irrespective of the relevance of the qualification in some respects.  

However since Uni's have started charging significant sums, meaning it's going to cost (the student or their parents) about £50K for the pleasure.  It seems there is more of a push to relevant degrees, training on the job and/or apprenticeships. 

To me it appears that school curriculums haven't really changed to reflect this.  Their focus appears to be mainly upon training for exams.

Edited by The Phantom

43 minutes ago, Tree Man 88 said:

Who cares about how atoms bump into each other or how to do quadratic equations.

Plenty, including me!

But I agree there should be a wider choice available, including more vocational subjects.

18 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

Plenty, including me!

But I agree there should be a wider choice available, including more vocational subjects.

Ok, but can you communicate effectively face to face with another human being and work in a team?

That’s way more important than atoms and quadratics. They’d be better off teaching people skills and the dynamics of human interactions than the dynamics of a beaker of water.

16 minutes ago, Bill1977 said:

Ok, but can you communicate effectively face to face with another human being and work in a team?

That’s way more important than atoms and quadratics. They’d be better off teaching people skills and the dynamics of human interactions than the dynamics of a beaker of water.

In my experience you can't really teach anyone "people skills". You learn that from experience and at so many different levels; family, work, social etc. If they're not team players then you need to accept that.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bill1977 said:

so teach people to bullshit their way rather than gain actual knowledge , i guess that works well if you want a job in government.

• Haha 1

Should push teenage smoking really. We would never have dared smoke in the toilet during a lesson, it was sneaking off to the lane during lunch. In the rain. Occasionally with a couple of teachers!! Vaping is too discreet.

3 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

In my experience you can't really teach anyone "people skills". You learn that from experience and at so many different levels; family, work, social etc. If they're not team players then you need to accept that.

In some cases, parents lack the basic social skills to pass on to their offspring - there lies a major problem

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Passing Time said:

In some cases, parents lack the basic social skills to pass on to their offspring - there lies a major problem

Worse than that, 5 year olds whom are not toilet trained, being sent to school. The teachers are then meant to do the parent’s job for them! 

• Like 2