Bride Commissioners pull out of Northern Amenity site

Moghrey Mie

2 minutes ago, english zloty said:

Surely they could just “acquire” a utility bill from a friend? 

Bride residents can apparently go to Birchalls and ditch their waste there.  I assume the commissioners have put some agreement in place and think it will cost them less than 65k a year.

3 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

This is to ensure that those naughty, non-contributing residents of Bride can't dispose of their trash at the NCAS now, or at least until Bride Commissioners start paying their £185k contribution again...

Thought it was more like £60k

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Mercenary said:

Thought it was more like £60k

No. £65k is what they are willing to pay, if you read their statement it states, "over £65k".

Their actual required annual contribution is @ £185k.

I've had a bit of an ask around a few friends, board members and ex-colleagues with connections to Northern Boards this afternoon re. this matter. To a man they are of the opinion that SUEZ/SITA are absolutely raping the Island in respect of waste disposal charges with no one able to question how they are arrived at.

They are simply handed down from Central Govt (who are clearly complicit) and expected to be met by authorities and ratepayers without any recourse to question or appeal.

Draw your own as to how and why.

• Like 6

As the site is for domestic waste, and commercial waste is charged separately, where it is allowed, I’d have thought that the total cost of operation should be divided amongst the northern authorities pro rata to their domestic rateable values.

• Like 1

On 4/11/2024 at 10:55 AM, Annoymouse said:

Just another example of why there should be an all island rate system

No. No. No. (I'm doing her voice)

There is no reason why people in the parishes should fund Douglas even further.

We are already helping to fund Douglas via the businesses we mostly work at which pay rates in Douglas.

People living in places like Douglas where rates are high should vote for lower rates.

So now there'll be a blackmarket for 2 month old utility bills in Bride?  

Thought the idea of all the recycling was to put Billy Dale out of a job and save the dolphins/planet/blue footed booby etc.

Seems we are going backwards by making it more expensive and more hassle to recycle (how much do SITA or whoever actually make from selling the end product?)

Fortunately, with a large wheelie bin with plenty of space for all of the rubbish, at least it's providng something useful like electricity (and a bit of toxic ash). Sure that 1 in 37,000 households won't make a difference either way.  

Edited by CallMeCurious

Apologies, my bad previously, these figures have just come on line courtesy of the Ramsey Community FB page. The contributions are as a percentage of rateable values as shown below. There is a more in depth explanation on the FB post. 

Screenshot_20240412-204703_Facebook.jpg

Edited by Non-Believer
Typo
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Apologies, my bad previously, these figures have just come on line courtesy of the Ramsey Community FB page. The contributions are as a percentage of rateable values as shown below. There is a more in depth explanation on the FB post. 

Screenshot_20240412-204703_Facebook.jpg

A reply to that post made the very same point made by JW - the rateable values includes business rates, but businesses are not allowed to use the site without charge.  I don't how true that last statement is or  what business or commercial waste is charged.  

34 minutes ago, Gladys said:

A reply to that post made the very same point made by JW - the rateable values includes business rates, but businesses are not allowed to use the site without charge.  I don't how true that last statement is or  what business or commercial waste is charged.  

Businesses pay for all their waste disposal, including having the bins emptied.

It’s expensive, but I don’t see why it’s relevant here.

Bride have a huge income from commercial, so are in a much better position than most other authorities to pay their way.

Their rates are 70p in the pound!!  Subsidised by businesses 

Edited by Anthony Ingham
  • Like 1