Hospitality Call to Arms!

Max Power

2 hours ago, Anthony Ingham said:

More new places opening over the coming weeks, and some Of the seasonal places are getting into the swing of it.

Its good to see

You do realise new places will always open up, regardless of the economy? You sure you don't work for Government, as one prominent member more or less said that, word for word. 

It's either people with money (or that of a relation) or someone who's literally saved every penny they can. 

Like many on here, they think they'll somehow be able to navigate the difficult economy and turn a profit. 

So, reading the comments on here, have these good business people suddenly become bad ones? 

From what I understand, some people who've been here years are ready to pack up as it's gotten so difficult. Other places that, on the face of it, seem to be doing well, lost money over the winter. One told that to everyone at the initial meeting.

It's more serious than most on here think and what they are primarily asking for is help to keep more money in their pockets and that of their employees. 

However, what is happening is that more and more is pouring into the coffers of the Government, whether that be through utilities, licensing costs, VAT or employee taxes. As wages go up, this will only increase.  

The estimate overall is that for everything sold by these people, around 40-50% of it is finding the way into the pockets of the Government, by way of the various things mentioned above. 

When places decide enough is enough, wait and see the self same people complaining that there isn't anywhere on island decent for them to eat or drink out.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

From what I understand, some people who've been here years are ready to pack up as it's gotten so difficult. Other places that, on the face of it, seem to be doing well, lost money over the winter. One told that to everyone at the initial meeting.

It's more serious than most on here think and what they are primarily asking for is help to keep more money in their pockets and that of their employees. 

However, what is happening is that more and more is pouring into the coffers of the Government, whether that be through utilities, licensing costs, VAT or employee taxes. As wages go up, this will only increase.  

The estimate overall is that for everything sold by these people, around 40-50% of it is finding the way into the pockets of the Government, by way of the various things mentioned above. 

That applies to loads of industries.  Why is hospitality so special?

Try an industry where you pay staff to be out in vehicles burning fuel all day.  You can see a lot more than 50 percent go back to government 

Edited by Anthony Ingham
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Anthony Ingham said:

That applies to loads of industries.  Why is hospitality so special?

Try an industry where you pay staff to be out in vehicles burning fuel all day.  You can see a lot more than 50 percent go back to government 

My point is, the government are quite happy pushing wages up for example, as it means much more money in their pocket. Substantially more than the employee earns. If they increased the tax threshold for minimum wage earners, they'd get to keep much more of their money and employers NI would come down. Currently it's going to cost the employer more, with a double edged sword. 

A minimum wage earner will be paying the top rate of tax. That seems right to you?

On 5/8/2024 at 11:27 PM, Anthony Ingham said:

Or, council house tenants or people who rent just rent their house out without any of the insurance in place, and in breach of their tenancy agreements and go on a jolly holiday.

Them bloody poor people again! Ruin everything.

I’m ALL for the possible support of the hospitality industry however after the diabolical excuse of a brunch today with a Laxey establishment, that establishment can go fuck itself and I’m looking forward, hopefully soon, to the pitiful diatribe on Facebook on its foreseeable closure. 
twats. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Gizo said:

to the pitiful diatribe on Facebook on its foreseeable closure. 

I am banned from Facebook, and anyway I have no patience to read a lengthy diatribe. So, let's get to the basics - which establishment was it (I hope it is not The Shed, because I do like their ham, cheese, and pesto panini).

I was out at an establishment a couple of weeks ago and it was OK nothing really to complain about but not good enough for company I was with to revisit any time soon and it wasn’t cheap.     This is the problem the standard is low and that is why people cannot bothered to eat out.    Putting prices up and cutting down on quality is not the answer and this is what is happening .

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Gizo said:

of a brunch today with a Laxey establishment,

It would be fair of you to say who this establishment is> Presuming the Shed and the kiosk on the prom would not warrant critisism for their low key service that would leave the Shore, Mona  Lisa and the Salmon Centre for your disgruntlement ? It would be fair to remove two from this???

i'm no egon ronay but i've been to the salmon centre a few times for breakfast and i have to say it was excellent, i'd be very surprised if that was the place referred to.

2 minutes ago, Kopek said:

It would be fair of you to say who this establishment is> Presuming the Shed and the kiosk on the prom would not warrant critisism for their low key service that would leave the Shore, Mona  Lisa and the Salmon Centre for your disgruntlement ? It would be fair to remove two from this???

You've missed the mines the queen's and the bridge amongst other eateries.

39 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

I was out at an establishment a couple of weeks ago and it was OK nothing really to complain about but not good enough for company I was with to revisit any time soon and it wasn’t cheap.     This is the problem the standard is low and that is why people cannot bothered to eat out.    Putting prices up and cutting down on quality is not the answer and this is what is happening .

I agree to this but today didn’t even qualify for the above.