Hospitality Call to Arms!

Max Power

7 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

Does IOMG have any economic advisors these days?

Yes, Prospect and Unite mainly. And an unhealthy dollop of self-interest.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, A fool and his money..... said:

He's trying to be clever. It really doesn't suit him.

Trying to be clever?  I was trying to understand what you were on about since you claimed to be all knowing

It now turns out that when you said Foxdale based, you were talking about a form with their registered office and all business based out of Balthane, which isn’t in Foxdale 😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Anthony Ingham said:

Trying to be clever?  I was trying to understand what you were on about since you claimed to be all knowing

It now turns out that when you said Foxdale based, you were talking about a form with their registered office and all business based out of Balthane, which isn’t in Foxdale 😂

And completely ignoring the much more pertinent point that they survive, indeed prosper almost entirely from government work.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

As much as I have some sympathy and empathy with the hospitality sector, it’ is wearing thin, when one of the restaurants is whinging to the NPM about having to pay its VAT, complaining about the minimum wage increase and other aspects. The Celtic Leagues Bernie Moffatt summed up VAT nicely on Facebook.  The top and bottom is that there is a lack of disposable income, and people are cutting down on luxuries like eating out, like they used to do. As for complaining about the minimum wage - working in the hospitality sector, long and in some cases unsocial hours isn’t always fun, and some employers can be unscrupulous, especially with tips - I don’t think the hospitality sector will do themselves any favours. Perhaps if they are struggling financially, they either reduce their opening hours, or reduce their staffing levels and perhaps the owners employ their own family/relatives to do the cooking/waiting on, or bar work. 

As for government assistance, maybe help with rates etc, and other charges - alcohol licences? 

I would add that the hospitality sector isn’t the only sector suffering and fighting for survival. Many MF members I am sure are feeling the pinch, and a reduction in their living standards. 

Edited by 2112
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, 2112 said:

I would add that the hospitality sector isn’t the only sector suffering and fighting for survival. Many MF members I am sure are feeling the pinch, and a reduction in their living standards. 

Everyone wants a bailout from the Govt now.  Covid provided the precedent. 

Then they'll want Govt to regulate something to protect the idiots.

Then everyone will moan that Govt are too involved and meddling in everything.

I've been able to swallow the hit on all the inflationary pressures over the last few years without too much impact.  However, in the last 3 months I've definitely started to feel the pain and I'm going to have to start looking at what specifically has been the crunch point and take some action.  Odd considering the inflation rate is starting to get to more sensible levels.  

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

Do Howard Quayle's holiday cottages count as hospitality?

They did until he stopped getting Covid money for them.  Then he decided to turn them into permanent lettings (which he may have been doing anyway). 

• Like 2

2012 sums it up perfectly, for most people eating out is a luxury and a special occasion.    I have noticed recently that prices have been hiked up in the restaurants I have been in and although perhaps it was essential it discourages people from eating out.   The rates are due next month, if you want the discount, and they have gone up as well as most other essential charges.    People on a fixed income have to prioritise and eating out comes very low on the list of essentials.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

2012 sums it up perfectly, for most people eating out is a luxury and a special occasion.    I have noticed recently that prices have been hiked up in the restaurants I have been in and although perhaps it was essential it discourages people from eating out.   The rates are due next month, if you want the discount, and they have gone up as well as most other essential charges.    People on a fixed income have to prioritise and eating out comes very low on the list of essentials.

Forgot to add.  I generally get a take away and a Ballapaddag prepared meal once a week each.  In the last month I've definitely noticed less of the expensive meat and more of the cheaper filler veggis in both. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Forgot to add.  I generally get a take away and a Ballapaddag prepared meal once a week each.  In the last month I've definitely noticed less of the expensive meat and more of the cheaper filler veggis in both. 

Similarly, I went for a  pub lunch in the north of the Island. The normally roaring fire stove was not operating ( it was blooming cold) and the usually generous portion of chips was a bit mingey . (But the steak and ale pie was ace as normal, if  now quite pricey)

15 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Similarly, I went for a  pub lunch in the north of the Island. The normally roaring fire stove was not operating ( it was blooming cold) and the usually generous portion of chips was a bit mingey . (But the steak and ale pie was ace as normal, if  now quite pricey)

Quite a few places being stingy with the heating these days. Eating with your coat on and paying top dollar is not a meal out...and is to be avoided.

• Like 2

On 5/7/2024 at 7:45 AM, The Phantom said:

Everyone wants a bailout from the Govt now.  Covid provided the precedent.

And with so many members of Govt themselves showing the way by availing themselves in those troubled times, it's hardly unexpected.

25 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

And with so many members of Govt themselves showing the way by availing themselves in those troubled times, it's hardly unexpected.

It also just seems that Hospitality are taking a leaf out the Govt's book.  Spiraling costs and expenses?  The answer is clearly to spend more money on it and throw more people at it. 

Meanwhile everyone else finds way to cut costs.