Trevor Baines

Max Power

Could we keep this thread in English please ? The arguments put are interesting and knowledgeable but it's sometimes like listening to a roomful of lawyers (Yes, I do know that John is one). On other threads I have to wade through the barbed wire of acronyms and text speak and end up totally switched off. Don't get me started on the students union politics society either....

WTG and TYVIM for saying that, it's AFT and more should. IANAL either, IMO AFAIAC, TTBOMK the OP has a point and it's not OT. IOW I agree. It's just SSDD on MF.

BFN I'm AFC tho BBIAB! OK?

Would you like to explain it?

I am not sure whether this question is serious or not - the meaning is so obvious that I would have thought that even a 5-year old could understand it. Let's just say that before advocating the harshest and perhaps counter-productive conditions for offenders people might reflect that one day circumstances may result in them being in the same situation.

I strongly believe in the principle that people who break the law should face the consequences but in this case there is a fundamental injustice because it is what our government has created that encourages immoral and in many cases illegal manipulation of money in a the tax dodgers haven that allows activities that become questionable to take place. Questionable is particulary appropriate in this case.

It seems singularly unfair that the people who create the environment make personal fortunes and demand respect, while the few who may overstep the rules of how tax dodging and money manipulation may be conducted on our island, or become excessively visible examples of the use of our corruption of decency, get the dirty end of the stick.

In the case of TB the sentence is nothing short of brutal.

In my opinion it's not justice that has been delivered, it's vengeance for exposing just the tip of the iceberg of what takes place, and the creation of a scapegoat to be used as some form of faux example of how “good” we are at managing the nefarious business from which the island has thrived.

I pity TB and his wife.

There are many who should have been dragged before the courts and jailed before him, if indeed he ever should have been. Not least the disgusting politicians who put Mammon and all that is associated with it before decency, and who now behave as examples of the height of respectability, which has to be the ultimate in hypocrisy, and stand in judgement on one of the consequence their creation.

There is such a thing as dirty money, unfortunately we are all going to find out in the coming times that when the money vanishes the dirt will still remain.

He admitted theft of inexcess of £1m, it is implied that he drew his wife and advocate into the mess such that both got convicted and you appear to believe that the sentence is brutal.

Let me know when you are in charge of the crimminal justice system and I will take up a life of crime.

In my view Baines may have been innocently got caught up at the start but once aware never appears to have tried to step away rather he appears to have tried to hekp and assist assist and once arrested has tried to pull everystroke in the book to not stand trail or get his sentence reduced. See his appeal.

Maybe others have been treated leniently but Baines in my opinion got everything he deserved and is the author of his own downfall. If at day one when the coppers knocked on the door he had tried to be helpful I doubt he would be where he is know. Certainly if my firm or I got innocently duped we would be as helpful as we possibly could. It is afterall our knecks on the line.

Baines seems to have taken the opposite view, be unhelpful to the authorities etc and he has reaped what he sowed

Would you like to explain it?

I am not sure whether this question is serious or not - the meaning is so obvious that I would have thought that even a 5-year old could understand it. Let's just say that before advocating the harshest and perhaps counter-productive conditions for offenders people might reflect that one day circumstances may result in them being in the same situation.

Well, that's one interpretation. Another would be that sometimes people find themselves in bad situations that they have no control over. And we could all find ourselves in that situation but for the grace of God. Being incarcerated (counter-productive or not) due to money laundering (or any other crime) doesn't quite fit the bill. Self made decisions tend to control that one.

Edited by Mr. Sausages

He admitted theft of inexcess of £1m, it is implied that he drew his wife and advocate into the mess such that both got convicted and you appear to believe that the sentence is brutal.

Let me know when you are in charge of the crimminal justice system and I will take up a life of crime.

In my view Baines may have been innocently got caught up at the start but once aware never appears to have tried to step away rather he appears to have tried to hekp and assist assist and once arrested has tried to pull everystroke in the book to not stand trail or get his sentence reduced. See his appeal.

Maybe others have been treated leniently but Baines in my opinion got everything he deserved and is the author of his own downfall. If at day one when the coppers knocked on the door he had tried to be helpful I doubt he would be where he is know. Certainly if my firm or I got innocently duped we would be as helpful as we possibly could. It is afterall our knecks on the line.

Baines seems to have taken the opposite view, be unhelpful to the authorities etc and he has reaped what he sowed

Well said. People should save their sympathy for someone who deserves it, not this superannuated thief who was happy to knowingly steal from a trust (he pleaded GUILTY, people) left by a dead person, all the while living an ill-gotten life of luxury, Cresta run hooray henry, expensive restaurants, the works.

Regarding Mr Baines he committed the crime and deserves to be in prison for it none of this put him in an open prison as he is less of a threat. Doesn't matter whether you are a serial killer or a money lauderer/thief, you go to prison to be punished. If I had it my way they would have one TV in a rec room no computers other than in class rooms where the inmates can get educated and aply for jobs when they are released.

Seems that you (and some others) have never understood the saying "There but for the Grace of God..........."

If I was crossing the road and got hit by a bus I could understand your sentiment, however a crook who laundered dirty money and knowingly stole from a trust to cover his legal fees is completley different my friend.

Baines knowingly committed several criminal acts could most of us have done it yes we could however we don't as we know the difference between right and wrong I would hope anyway

AG's sentencing comments 'worrying', says MHK

"East Douglas MHK Chris Robertshaw says it sounds like meddling for political ends"

Is it 'meddling'? At the end of the day wouldn't the CPS in the UK 'want' a particular type of sentence or other? AG is not elected - so isn't the question really: 'what conversations, if any, went on between the AG and any other politicians over this matter?'

I'll bet the answer would be 'none'.

AG's sentencing comments 'worrying', says MHK

"East Douglas MHK Chris Robertshaw says it sounds like meddling for political ends"

Is it 'meddling'? At the end of the day wouldn't the CPS in the UK 'want' a particular type of sentence or other? AG is not elected - so isn't the question really: 'what conversations, if any, went on between the AG and any other politicians over this matter?'

I'll bet the answer would be 'none'.

Totally agree. I don't think there's anything odd in finding out that the prosecution was seeking the maximum sentence in the event of conviction.

OK so they got Baines....little old man, close to the end of his days (I'd hope not, he looks quite young) When will they go get the rest? Let us not pretend that he was the only one, or is he the only one who could be caught? The world is full of shady people, honest people who err land in prison while total 'cf's' get awards from the Queen and Pope...

Really, I couldn't care less how rich people make their money, it's not a tasteful way of life, be it in Africa house or a 4 bedroomed council house in Willaston, showing off wealth is tasteless. Society is a bit crazy.

Well said. People should save their sympathy for someone who deserves it, not this superannuated thief who was happy to knowingly steal from a trust (he pleaded GUILTY, people) left by a dead person, all the while living an ill-gotten life of luxury, Cresta run hooray henry, expensive restaurants, the works.

Exactly. He's hardly the dogs bollocks anymore sat on his own at the Jurby Hilton after all the years of Cresta Run champagne knobbery.