General Election 2011 - Castletown

Declan

Constituency Details - Castletown

Manx Radio

Wikipedia

2006 Election

Castletown seems to have a few candidates coming out of the woodwork. Is this because they believe the CM is vulnerable, or do they hope that he'll be donning the President of Tynwald's tights?

Candidates Declared

Carol Quine

Manx Radio Page

David Pownell

Manifesto

Manx Radio Page

Richard Ronan

Manx Radio Page

Sitting Member - Yet to Declare

Tony Brown

Wikipedia Page

Tynwald CV

==================

Note I'll try and keep updating this post with links and information as the thread and the election develops.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand the CM has privately said to the good and the great in C'Town that he will be announcing his intentions on 12th July. Election for El Presidente takes place on 11th July... Make of that what you will !

Highlights from David Pownell's Manifesto -

"In 1987 a few days after the Enniskillen bombing took place in Northern Ireland ,the Uk went into shock, I was serving as a musician in the Army based in Dover, our Bandmaster told us that Margaret Thatcher wanted to restage the remembrance service a week later, and that's what happened, the band flew out, the secretary of defence attended along with the Prime Minister, and my point is that I don't see Government figures standing up and putting the record straight anymore, they are afraid of losing their positions, lets get some backbone in to it."

"My Manifesto is to improve Castletown, a lock gate, a cinema, sports arena,I have also thought that another sheading could host the Chief Minister as it is clear that the role can take up a lot of an MHK's time,you have only to look around Castletown at the decay, and down hill slope its on, business wise, and property in decline."

"I have heard recently of skilled men from our Railway being treated like animals in a cattle yard and then sent out to pasture, its time to look at things and change, we don't always need to jump when the Uk request's, and I'm sure if we looked harder we could of found people on the Isle of Man to sort out the Pier in Ramsey and many more projects,, I find it insulting that the Government think we need to call the UK Government every time we lose focus."

And from his comments on MR -

"My MHK is the Chief minister Tony Brown , I think this post should alternate around the other Sheading's because it can take up the time of your local MHK which he or she could be spending on your Sheading, resulting in your local area not getting the best attention, I invite anyone to take a walk around Castletown and look at the Urban Decay, matched with the overspending of the Government, I think I could do better."

"We are the oldest continuous parliament on Earth, we are the site of the road racing capital of the world, you would be hard pressed to find a more decent society anywhere , I say to the UK/AMERICA you tread lightly when negotiating with the Isle of Man , I invite you to listen how many times the Chief Minster mentions the UK in his rhetoric, the sub prime market that caused the financial problem started in America. The American dream should stay in America, the Isle of Man doesn't have a dream because its AWAKE. "

"I think the Island might benefit by having a sea turbine at the Calf of Man to generate electricity, why don't we set up a factory to build them! of course Manx workers. Attract a telecoms factory, contact Apple and ask them do they need a Factory to make components for the ipad, service Aircraft on the Island. Sell the Island around the world."

It's interesting that so many seem to have rushed fairly early on to stand in Castletown. The only worry is that Tony seems to enjoy a lot of support in Castletown. Even if his stint at CM has damaged him a little, there's a very real danger that the candidates will turn out to have scuppered each others chances by splitting the opposition to tony fairly thin.

It's interesting that so many seem to have rushed fairly early on to stand in Castletown. The only worry is that Tony seems to enjoy a lot of support in Castletown. Even if his stint at CM has damaged him a little, there's a very real danger that the candidates will turn out to have scuppered each others chances by splitting the opposition to tony fairly thin.

I can't see Brown standing in Castletown at all. There will be a vacancy, and that is probably why so many have declared there.

Brown's 'Plan A' has, for sometime, almost certainly been to try and persuade enough Tynwald members to push him to the Presidency in July. He could then walk away from the economic crisis without having made any truly difficult decisions, into a cosy ceremonial position.

If this doesn't happen, he is in a very tricky position. You would go a long way to find anyone credible who would suggest he is likely to be granted a second term as CM. He seems to have few political friends anywhere inside or outside CoMin and it's hard to see any new members supporting him for that job again.

Unlikely the new CM would want him in a new CoMin, especially when a significant change of philosophy and direction will probably be required, and it's hard to see him languishing on the back benches with the likes of Houghton and Henderson.

So, it seems unlikely that he actually has a 'Plan B' other than to retire. Ofcourse he could say he was retiring at the top.

The question of whether he will be able to gather enough support to pull off Plan A is really for another thread.

"I think the Island might benefit by having a sea turbine at the Calf of Man to generate electricity, why don't we set up a factory to build them! of course Manx workers. Attract a telecoms factory, contact Apple and ask them do they need a Factory to make components for the ipad, service Aircraft on the Island. Sell the Island around the world."

That's brilliant! We could build the factories underground too, so they wouldn't get in the way!

That's brilliant! We could build the factories underground too, so they wouldn't get in the way!

I'm sure Steve Jobs would love the idea - seriously, I hope the guy wasn't sober when he came up with that, because if he was it's bad....

Oooh a cardinal sin, the sort of which has been mentioned in another thread! Well spotted.

Still, I suppose that, and a photograph possibly self-taken on his moby doesn't preclude him as a genuine and worthwhile candidate.

Oooh a cardinal sin, the sort of which has been mentioned in another thread! Well spotted.

Still, I suppose that, and a photograph possibly self-taken on his moby doesn't preclude him as a genuine and worthwhile candidate.

No, but it has to be something to be taken into account. Would you vote for a candidate who does not even have a basic command of the language?

Archived