General Election 2011 - Castletown

Declan

Oooh a cardinal sin, the sort of which has been mentioned in another thread! Well spotted.

Still, I suppose that, and a photograph possibly self-taken on his moby doesn't preclude him as a genuine and worthwhile candidate.

No, but it has to be something to be taken into account. Would you vote for a candidate who does not even have a basic command of the language?

Even more shockingly, his Manx Radio page uses "Sheading's" as the plural form. Greengrocer is not listed as one of his past occupations.

Did candidates submit their own written content for these pages, or are they transcriptions of interviews?

I'm curious as to what Pownall means by "I say to the UK/AMERICA you tread lightly when negotiating with the Isle of Man." Does he feel the IoM adopting a belligerent stance against the USA would somehow be wise / a vote winner?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm curious as to what Pownall means by "I say to the UK/AMERICA you tread lightly when negotiating with the Isle of Man." Does he feel the IoM adopting a belligerent stance against the USA would somehow be wise / a vote winner?

It may not be wise - but I'd vote for that.

Don't mess with us Uncle Sam we're the Road Racing Capital of the World!

Well actually he states that we're "the site of the road racing capital of the world", so this capital is on the Island somewhere, but he doesn't identify where. Given his consituency aspirations, Castletown? Billown?

I'm being picky I admit, but a bit of precision is something one would presumably hope for in a legislator.

Yibble's remark captures not only Castletown specifically, but the flavour of the whole election so far; Lamentable sitting candidates are presently facing challenges only from, frankly, (and there are possibly one or two exceptions Island-wide)the unelectable...Pownall take centre stage at this point in the case of Castletown. The earlier post in this thread from Nellie, hit several nails squarely on the head. Teflon Tony is sitting tight for the escape tunnel to President of Tynwald...if he doesn't declare himself as a candidate for that, then I'll be truly amazed. Should he not be successful - and why should the useless prick be rewarded for his incompetence? - his departure from politics by not contesting the seat is, I would say, on the cards. In the event that he did opt to carry on as an MHK, he would stroll back in with a landslide - what the rest of us can see clearly is obscured to the voters of Castletown by their "Brown goggles" (sounds vaguely lavatorial)...they think the world of the pompous, over-stuffed clown.

Shortly after the last General Election, when Tony Brown was being mooted as a possible Chief Minister, I suggested that he possessed the intellectual capacity of a retarded toilet brush.

It is time for me to apologise.

Therefore, let me say a sincere "sorry" to any retarded toilet brushes who might be looking at these forums.

Yes, not an inspiring performance this morning by Mr Pownall. He fell for the old one-two about whether he would be a local or a national politician. Of course it's a false distinction (the answer has to be both) but it's amazing how many of them fall for a sucker punch like this. I'm glad I don't live in Castletown but my lot are no better either !

I hardly think that the grammar of this Chap will count against him when that of the vast majority of the electorate is, at best, not any better and possibly a goodly percentage of our population is considerably worse.

The particular gaff, "could of", also 'should of' and 'would of', arise, I believe, from the conversational shortening of 'could have' to 'could've', which is interpreted by some people as 'could of', as this is how it sounds.

As to TB not seeking re-election in C'town, that's , 'Town have Castle', does he not need another 5 years in public office to get the best pension deal?

This may be a scurilous misrepresentation of his motives but I seem to recall that there is a legnth of service where the pension 'caps out', that is, it does not get any better after a certain number of years.

Who amongst us would not try to maximise any financial return?

Maybe someone with more knowledge could shed some light on this?

Of course, this does not apply to TB, whose only motive is to represent the People of Castletown to the best of his ability.

Interesting, Batling the System! makes a post and deletes it (anyone know what it said?). Previous posts made by Battling the System! make similar punctuation errors to David Pownell.

Good Manx political stuff. I believe that's how Hansard works.

Say something you later regret and Hey Presto!!! Deleted from the record.

I have to confess to remembering the days of the 370 disco that Tony 'Hovis' Brown ran. I'm told they were good. Can anyone tell me who his parents were, is he from Castletown? His Tynwald CV online doesn't give an awful lot away. It's nice to have a bit of skeet so that I can see who's the chaps parents are. You never know - I might have been at school with them!!!

Archived