Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

Sat on board at the moment, I'd guess another 20 minutes or so before we set off, then sit in Liverpool rush hour traffic :-( Heysham bypass is coming along, once finished Heysham Port to M6 in about 10 minutes. If Steam Packet put a reliable fast craft there we could do Isle of Man to M6 in a shade over three hours including loading & unloading...

*sigh*

Yes. If I remember rightly, when they were doing docking trials for the first seacat she did it in 1 hour 55 mins to Heysham.

This one has not been as unreliable as some of the others, but it does seem to act as a magnet for stray fishing gear.

Looks like it's caught a crab again today - 3 1/4 hours between Douglas and Liverpool in flat calm conditions?

And yes, we're stuck with fast craft while it remains one of the conditions of the User Agreement.

This one has not been as unreliable as some of the others, but it does seem to act as a magnet for stray fishing gear. Looks like it's caught a crab again today - 3 1/4 hours between Douglas and Liverpool in flat calm conditions? And yes, we're stuck with fast craft while it remains one of the conditions of the User Agreement.

A magnet? I can remember it happening twice.

If Manx Radio were running a passenger ferry I think we'd have more to worry about than a very occasional mechanical issue which slows the boat down a bit.

Now that this has been suggested, don't be surprised when MR-Sea is announced by Broadcasting House - 'from the airwaves to the sea waves'.

If Manx Radio were running a passenger ferry I think we'd have more to worry about than a very occasional mechanical issue which slows the boat down a bit.

Now that this has been suggested, don't be surprised when MR-Sea is announced by Broadcasting House - 'from the airwaves to the sea waves'.

If they got a ship with a big mast they could broadcast as they go.

I was on yesterday. Left home at 2:00pm and was at traffic lights in Liverpool at 5:09pm according to a time check on the radio. That ticks the boxes for me. The pain was not the boat crossing but a traffic accident the other side which shut the main road I wanted to use, Just shows no form of travel is perfect all the time

I was on yesterday. Left home at 2:00pm and was at traffic lights in Liverpool at 5:09pm according to a time check on the radio. That ticks the boxes for me. The pain was not the boat crossing but a traffic accident the other side which shut the main road I wanted to use, Just shows no form of travel is perfect all the time

What time did you sail? Or do you live in Warrington??? The sailing is 2hrs 45min, so if they left at 3pm and arrived and arrived an hour early (allowing for disembarking) its little wonder they broke it for today!

Has anyone got figures that will show how badly we do for tourist arrivals?

We have a population of, say, 83,000. How many tourists set foot here in a normal year, and what proportion of our population is that?

How does that compare with other places who "appear" to have large numbers of tourists?

york 7 million tourists £600 million income

I quite like the Manannan, quick and easy to Liverpool, and I can put up with the occasional engine failure resulting in a longer crossing time.

What I can't cope with is the Steam Packet's total disregard for its users with regard to the provision of updated arrival times. It was known earlier yesterday that the day's sailings would be operated at circa 26 kts, due to one unserviceable power unit. However, when I checked (at 2100hrs) on the expected arrival time of last night's sailing from Liverpool ALL the searches (Website, Phone, Displays in the Sea Termina etcl) gave the ETA as the normal 2200hrs.

As a consequence, before going to collect some family friends from the sailing, I checked the position of Manannan on Ship AIS at 2130hrs to see that she still had some 20+ miles to run, which indicated an arrival time around 2245.

How difficult would it be for one of the Steam Packet duty staff to update their Latest Sailing Information sites in a timely manner ? It would be nice to believe that Customer Service really mattered, or is it just the fact that "we know you don't have a choice" ?