Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

Probably just in complete denial.

The last thing I heard about Snaefell, a month or two back, she was down to 3 engines, too. Be careful what you wish for!

With trading in Banco Espirito Santo (The Racket's owners) having been suspended yesterday, the whole lot could be up for sale soon. What then?

with the steam racket make 3 times the profit of any ferry company in the world they should offer a better service

If you are going to just pluck figures from the sky to state as 'fact' why be so lacking in ambition? Only three times the profit - why not seven times, or twenty seven times?

with the steam racket make 3 times the profit of any ferry company in the world they should offer a better service

If you are going to just pluck figures from the sky to state as 'fact' why be so lacking in ambition? Only three times the profit - why not seven times, or twenty seven times?

hansard 2006whatever.gif

hansard 2006whatever.gif

is that supposed to mean something to me?

Got a link for that please Woody

it takes forever to find info on hansard but......

In 2006, the company was under investigation by a select committee of Tynwald, the Isle of Man's parish council. One of the concerns of Tynwald is the annual published profit margins by the Isle of Man Steam Packet Company which, according to Hansard, are 36% - almost three times the industry standard for ferry companies throughout the world

Edited by woody2

I am normally fairly surportive of the Steam Packet as I doubt anybody else would provide a much improved service etc but the position with regard to the Manannan at present is a farce. It is not the SP's fault it caught something which has damaged an engine but the way they are dealing with is in my opinion very poor.

Firstly they have got a spare so the logical position I would have thought was to take out of service this week before the school holidays start and repair. They have not done that so it is going to run on reduced power until it appears at least September. On reduced power it is clear that it can not meet the published timetable, and that is whilst the boats are not that busy. Last night it arrived in Liverpool an hour and a quarter after it was due to leave and generally it seems to be doing well if by the end of the day if it is only an hour down.

It seems therefore prety obvious that it cannot meet the published timetable and will not be able to until it is repaired. To me the logical thing would be to amend the timetable so at least you do not piss off customers my making them them check in at the normal tme when you know the boat will be late, or have people hanging about waiting to pick people up. At least then you can plan around the appropriate times. But no the SP seem happy to pretend everything is basically is going as normal which pisses me off far more than a revised timetable would even though travel times etc woul be the same as at least you have some certainty.

I appreciate that on each day they might send update their website or send a text advising of a delay but by then you have probably already made your arrangments.

That'll be the end of civilisation as we know it then.

'Boat a bit late' the UK newspaper headlines will scream

It may not be the end of the world but it does compromise the journey times for those with an onward journey by train.

And the 'Boat a bit late' issue will last until at least September. So it's not really just a one off is it?

It might help assuage some passenger's angst if Commodore Woodward announced a reduction in fares as part compensation (or at least a meal voucher). But no such thing will happen, will it?

the quicker they fix it the quicker they are burning more fuel. how quickly do you expect them to get round to it??

Either fix it or fix the timetables. Don't have a timetable which it is clear cannot be kept which in my view just pisses everybody off. The ship plotter estimates it presently arriving at Dublin at 10:30 but on the SP website it is shown as due at 09:50 with a 10:45 departure. The SP knows it cannot meet those times and will struggle to do so until it is repeaired. Therefore surely it is better to publish and run to a timetable that you can meet rather than have people turning up on time when there is not a cat in hells chance of the the boat running to those times. I accept a boat being delayed and waiting if it is unaccepted. I get pissed off waiting if eveyman and his dog knows and has known for a period of time that the boat is going to be say at least an hour late but you are still told to turn up at the original time.

Following last week’s announcement that Manannan will operate on reduced power after suffering a mechanical issue with one of her four engines, the Isle of Man Steam Packet Company can now confirm revised departure schedules until the engine has been repaired.
Operating on reduced power will add approximately 20 minutes to each journey. The Steam Packet Company has been monitoring the impact on services over the last few days and, despite the deployment of additional resources at the ports, running on reduced power has impacted on departure times for sailings later in the day.
In order to reduce inconvenience and allow passengers to plan their journeys, the Steam Packet Company has decided to announce a revised schedule for affected sailings.
From 17th July to 13th August inclusive, the originally scheduled 15.00 sailing from Douglas to Liverpool will now depart at the new time of 15.45; the originally scheduled 19.15 sailing from Liverpool to Douglas will now depart at the new time of 20.00.
In addition, the Steam Packet Company is asking foot passengers planning to travel on Manannan’s 07.00 sailings to Belfast or Dublin and 07.30 sailing to Liverpool to check in no later than 40 minutes prior to departure. Early arrival will assist crew to ensure the vessel leaves as early as possible in order to preserve, as much as possible, originally scheduled arrival times.
The Steam Packet Company is making every effort to contact passengers affected by the changes. It is vital that up-to-date contact details are given, both email and mobile telephone numbers, when bookings are made to ensure passengers can be contacted with any details of important changes to the schedules.
The Manannan engine issue is still being investigated, but is believed to be connected to a failed crankshaft. Repairs are provisionally planned for mid-September. Passengers affected will be contacted once a date is confirmed.