Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

Just ignore what I said, it was not aimed at people who just wish to argue the point.......snip.......

By 'argue the point', do you mean someone pointing out that you were wrong?

Who was your post aimed at? People who didn't know any better?

And, in what way was I wrong ?

Buying local all year will not work, the island does not produce enough food to do so for a balanced diet.

Your idea of an island like the darling buds of May never existed, it was financed by the mass tourist industry in the post war years.

Let me try to explain. Like most of the countries of the world [ including England] we import that which we cannot produce ourselves. Then what we should do is try to buy 'locally' everything else that is produced here. Does that not make sense to you, or were you among the invited guests at the opening of 'Tesco'. The Boom in Manx Tourism came mostly before the [second] War. I have to admit though that the Goverment and their advisers made a cracking job of getting rid of it, and continue to do so. Please don't mention the 'Spanish Holidays' excuse. The British Isles and Ireland are swarming with Tourists every year, why don't they come here ? Is it because they would not be here long enough to gain from Low Taxes ? 'Blien Via Noa '

Let me try to explain. Like most of the countries of the world [ including England] we import that which we cannot produce ourselves. Then what we should do is try to buy 'locally' everything else that is produced here. Does that not make sense to you, or were you among the invited guests at the opening of 'Tesco'. The Boom in Manx Tourism came mostly before the [second] War. I have to admit though that the Goverment and their advisers made a cracking job of getting rid of it, and continue to do so. Please don't mention the 'Spanish Holidays' excuse. The British Isles and Ireland are swarming with Tourists every year, why don't they come here ? Is it because they would not be here long enough to gain from Low Taxes ? 'Blien Via Noa '

Because they can get everything and more in the British Isles and Ireland at half the cost. Why do you think they don't come here?

• Like 1

Has anyone got figures that will show how badly we do for tourist arrivals?

We have a population of, say, 83,000. How many tourists set foot here in a normal year, and what proportion of our population is that?

How does that compare with other places who "appear" to have large numbers of tourists?

• 6 months later...

that boat has been a bag of shit from the start. if there's a naff option to buy we get it! boat, train, radar, bus ticket machines, iris, etc etc. and tange wonders why there is so much criticism of government?? skelly made me laugh with the 'build on public confidence' headline in the zaminer, you can't build on fuck all !! you need foundations , foundations that many of the current incumbents have been excavating away at with lies and deceipt over the years.

• Like 1

that boat has been a bag of shit from the start. if there's a naff option to buy we get it! boat, train, radar, bus ticket machines, iris, etc etc. and tange wonders why there is so much criticism of government?? skelly made me laugh with the 'build on public confidence' headline in the zaminer, you can't build on fuck all !! you need foundations , foundations that many of the current incumbents have been excavating away at with lies and deceipt over the years.

Govt bought the boat?

that boat has been a bag of shit from the start. ...and tange wonders why there is so much criticism of government?? ..

it was forced on SP by the then Australian vulture fund of McQuarries who had it to dispose of - agree completely inappropriate to Island needs as filled only on a few TT days + costs a bomb to operate + not readily useable during poor or winter weather

fair points, government didn't buy the boat, but it is still a shit item for the manx public to put up with.

but it does save a wasted day travelling when you can arrive in L/pool just after rush hour in the morning with a full day ahead of you rather than the best part of the day gone by the time you get anywhere

(and wasn't it a stipulation by our mighty wise leaders in the user agreement that there should be a fastcraft ?)

Sat on board at the moment, I'd guess another 20 minutes or so before we set off, then sit in Liverpool rush hour traffic :-( Heysham bypass is coming along, once finished Heysham Port to M6 in about 10 minutes. If Steam Packet put a reliable fast craft there we could do Isle of Man to M6 in a shade over three hours including loading & unloading...

*sigh*