Bell On Mr Says We Will Saved £30Million With Wage Freeze

EORH

He said it will save £30million with the wages freeze, meaning the low paid and not counting the Civil Service and MHKs/MLCs rises.

If they got rid of Legco that would save even more, also some Local Authorities as well.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He said it will save £30million with the wages freeze, meaning the low paid and not counting the Civil Service and MHKs/MLCs rises.

If they got rid of Legco that would save even more, also some Local Authorities as well.

Government payroll is £300m a year so I would guess between not paying an inflationary increase on that (saving 3%?), and the knock on savings on pensions increases and other benefits its got to be getting on for £30m (10%). The problem is that the wage bill is now so big ANY % age increase, even if its 1%, is a huge sum.

The problem being that you can't freeze wages forever. Particularly when you're busy raising, inventing and imposing new taxes. People will need the ability to pay those taxes. So they'll start demanding pay increases to do so.

And how much will that cost next year and/or the year after? Allan Bell is just grabbing the benefits of short-term good news. Whilst doing very little to address what will undoubtedly be long-term issues.

This is, I fear, a rather long blind alley that will meet a brick wall eventually, (after the Public Sector industrial unrest that will come first of course. Followed by the private sector industrial unrest).

The problem being that you can't freeze wages forever. Particularly when you're busy raising, inventing and imposing new taxes. People will need the ability to pay those taxes. So they'll start demanding pay increases to do so.And how much will that cost next year and/or the year after? Allan Bell is just grabbing the benefits of short-term good news. Whilst doing very little to address what will undoubtedly be long-term issues.This is, I fear, a rather long blind alley that will meet a brick wall eventually, (after the Public Sector industrial unrest that will come first of course. Followed by the private sector industrial unrest).

Bring on the public sector unrest. Let's see how much sympathy they get after being on the most cushy number imaginable for as long as I can remember.

Are my maths correct?? If the total current wage bill is £311m and there is a "current year saving" of £50m due to pay freezes - doesn't that mean otherwise the pay bill would have gone up by 16%...???

The problem being that you can't freeze wages forever. Particularly when you're busy raising, inventing and imposing new taxes. People will need the ability to pay those taxes. So they'll start demanding pay increases to do so.And how much will that cost next year and/or the year after? Allan Bell is just grabbing the benefits of short-term good news. Whilst doing very little to address what will undoubtedly be long-term issues.This is, I fear, a rather long blind alley that will meet a brick wall eventually, (after the Public Sector industrial unrest that will come first of course. Followed by the private sector industrial unrest).

Bring on the public sector unrest. Let's see how much sympathy they get after being on the most cushy number imaginable for as long as I can remember.

Undoubtedly a fair comment, Lxxx. Particularly at the high-end. But that sector must also have its share of low-paid as well, within local authorities as well as central Govt. Some of whom are probably struggling as much as any in the private sector, some may well have mortgages and families to feed as well. And they're being clobbered just the same.

It's not going to be a question of Public vs. Private. It's going to be the wealthy (be it Public or Private) vs the low- paid and even middle earners. Let them eat cake and all that....

Stu gave a good interview on Talking Heads yesterday, but I am just so sick of hearing Mr Bell glibly dancing his way around [what he regards as] the hard questions:

1. Why aren't they outsourcing work to third sector enterprises now?

2. Why aren't they abolishing the massively unpopular & huge waste of cash that is LegCo?

3. Why aren't they refusing to take a pay rise?

4. Why aren't they addressing the Public Sector Pension system immediately?

5. Why aren't they robustly addressing the 'Scope & Structure' issue?

If the Great Dictator thinks that the Manx public are going to be happy to see CoMin use reserves to cover current deficits & then carry on as before from 2015 then he has another think coming

If the Great Dictator thinks that the Manx public are going to be happy to see CoMin use reserves to cover current deficits & then carry on as before from 2015 then he has another think coming

Does he though? I think you are right about all of those points. Obviously they need addressing, but the majority of people are dangerously disengaged. Does he have another think coming? Are people ready to get involved as the screw is turned tighter? I see no evidence of it.

Bell is deflecting attention away from the fact that Members and civil servants have recently had a back dated pay rise.

Stu did tackle him on this yesterday and compared the "we had no choice but to accept this increase" to the "bugger off, you can have a pay cut" issued to the bus drivers. "Are we really all in it together Chief Minister?". He went all around the houses in reply, and did not address the point at all. Instead he said that the MHKs have to accept what the civil servants get. This of course does not answer the question which was why are ANY of them getting ANY increase. Good politician. Can't pin him down, although Stu had him floundering a bit more than usual.

Does he though? I think you are right about all of those points. Obviously they need addressing, but the majority of people are dangerously disengaged. Does he have another think coming? Are people ready to get involved as the screw is turned tighter? I see no evidence of it.

If there were a will among some of the younger MHKs, then I believe a different approach to government could be prepared for the electorate at the next election

Archived