An 'unflouncing' Farewell

Topaz

Very sorry to hear that Topaz.

I'm not a religious type, even so, it's always difficult and awkward to respond to this type of news, but the fact of the matter is we all have two things in common, not just Manx Forums, but that none of us will be around in 0 to 100 years. The forum has already seen a few people become 'silent keys', and now already ten years old, is likely to see quite a few more over the coming years, including myself as I am of the age when I have far less years to live than I have spent years alive. I've met quite a few MF'ers over the years, including one who has since popped off, and when you know someone it changes things a bit, but even anonymous people on here are quite real to me, especially as you get to read a lot about them even subconsciously imagining what some of them look like.

Dying is such a difficult topic to talk about, yet all of us experience death around us all the time, from grandparents popping off, to our once invincible and young parents becoming older and grandparents and then great-grandparents themselves. I look in the mirror sometimes, and I don't know where the last 30 years of my life actually went, and why the years seem to have flown so fast. It only seems a few years ago that my kids were under 10, now they are suddenly grown up and have children of their own. Though the best life, it seems to me, is one not spent watching clocks but being happy.

I hope you are not suffering pain.

As for the fight against those on the hill, I am convinced that social media such as MF will make a major difference at the next election, not just in terms of candidates but informing, recruiting and organising people to stand up against them. In the last 3 years, I suspect we have seen five times the online petitions that we have ever seen previously. It's a cultural change as the next generation improves it knowledge and communications through social media, and I think one that will eventually make a major difference.

I imagine it's not the top of your priorities at the moment, but I hope you will keep us informed on here as much as you can. We might be a very disparate group, and many of us may have never actually met, but we are in reality a community.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't have the words to express my sympathy , I can't begin to understand how you feel but having "lost" my lovely daughter in law, with ovarian cancer,( at 35 with two daughters aged 6&8 ) last october my heart goes out to to your family and friends at this time.

Topaz, there must be many emotions behind your very honest posting. Go well and thank you for telling us - it puts things into a very different perspective to read your words.

Hope, tempered by the face of reality, can take us a long way, as can holding those dear to us close. Good luck.

Let's hope MF can produce some classic threads to give us all some amusement and useful distraction, but especially for you.

We are a fascinating little community and thank you for being a part of it and sharing such personal news.

I read the title and thought, here we go, yet another drama queen announcing their departure in typical attention seeking manner; how wrong could I be....I'm sorry to read of your situation and illness, I can only hope that your time left here is painless, that you surround yourself with good people, that you body swerve assholes and that you are able to laugh more than you cry.

Topaz, hugs, my thoughts are with you, and, if there is anything I can do to help you and your family in my professional field PM me.

My cousin died two years ago after a cancer diagnosis. Her doctors didn't tell her the prognosis. I did find out and kept quiet.

She missed the opportunity of planning and doing her bucket list, saying goodbyes and panning how to die and what happened next.

I know from your post you will have those chances and will use them wisely. Good Luck. You are very brave.

Archived