Amy Burns to stand in Douglas South

Lisenchuk

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hasn't Cretters a daughter to replace him once he is home & dry in the 'Corkish Dash'?

To be fair (shit, I gotta stop using that phrase, I picked it up on these fori) Cretters daughter has plenty of political experience and is ideally suited for the job (she once accompanied Dad to a Manx Labour Party meeting)

"Wow, is that all it takes to get £1000 a week for the next five years at least, plus a pension?"

She would be well down my list of ideal candidates.

However, until I, or any of the people I think would be good candidates put themselves forward I can't really criticise.

I still think they should pay more to MHKs though, and the. You might get better qualified people putting themselves forward

Good luck to her for agreeing to stand. She needs to get the council house voters out though to attack Cretneys power base. Hopefully she gets it right. She also needs someone who can give her some coaching on the media as some of the stuff she's done in the past doesn't come across well. If she gets it right though good luck to her.

She needs Cretney's power base. If he retires or does a LegCo and 'endorses' her in some way, then she's in with a chance. Billy Bandwagon may try and get back on the gravy train, though, and she would be well advised to watch him very closely.

I've seen her posting on FB a few times and she seems to take an interest in local politics and current affairs, which is more than many others do. Good on anyone who gets off the couch and tries to do something.

I have no time or respect for Cretney. This is a man who has made a career, at the taxpayers expense, out of doing and deciding very little.

Any endorsement by him would be a huge negative in my eyes.

As for Amy Burns, I do wonder why she has dropped the 'Baron de Yoxall' association. Although if I were her I certainly would.

I am aware of her recent 'campaigns', but the belief by some that this somehow makes her a suitable Keys candidate is naive and misplaced.

People like Amy Burns undoubtedly have a place in 'local' politics where they can influence some community and social issues. The problem is that

on the Island 'local' is also 'national'. You vote for local issues and get someone who also represents you on national issues.

We need 'National' politicians. The Island has huge problems ahead, and our economic well being, even survival, is at risk. Now, more than ever, we need

well qualified, well educated, experienced 'big business' candidates. People who have managed large budgets, had to produce profits and control costs, and make difficult decisions

because they are the right thing, not the popular thing, to do.

I don't think Amy Burns is one of those. But I may be wrong. So come on Amy, if you want to be a serious candidate as opposed to a Facebook/Social Media warrior 'wannabe'

why don't you share your CV with us: let's see details of your educational achievements and your business experience and judge for ourselves if

you are the right sort of person to lead our nation toward a brighter future.

Who knows, you might start a trend and inspire other would be candidates to do the same and help transition Manx politics to a more efficient and effective Government?

I have no time or respect for Cretney. This is a man who has made a career, at the taxpayers expense, out of doing and deciding nothing.

As for Amy Burns, I do wonder why she has dropped the 'Baron de Yoxall' association. Although if I were her I certainly would.

I am aware of her recent 'campaigns', but the belief by some that this somehow makes her a suitable Keys candidate is naive and misplaced.

People like Amy Burns undoubtedly have a place in 'local' politics where they can influence some community and social issues. The problem is that

on the Island 'local' is also 'national'. You vote for local issues and get someone who also represents you on national issues.

We need 'National' politicians. The Island has huge problems ahead, and our economic well being, even survival, is at risk. Now, more than ever, we need

well qualified, well educated, experienced 'big business' candidates. People who have managed large budgets, had to produce profits and control costs, and make difficult decisions

I don't think Amy Burns is one of those. But I may be wrong. So come on Amy, if you want to be a serious candidate as opposed to a Facebook/Social Media warrior 'wannabe'

why don't you share your CV with us: let's see details of your educational achievements and your business experience and judge for ourselves if

Who knows, you might start a trend and inspire other would be candidates to do the same and help transition Manx politics to a more efficient and effective Government?

A first class post. Agree entirely.

I have no time or respect for Cretney. This is a man who has made a career, at the taxpayers expense, out of doing and deciding nothing.

I total agree, I have seen nothing so far.

Standing on a soapbox is very easy, I have a feeling that Amy is hoping that Crentey and Beecroft will carry her into the Keys.

Any By-Election in February will be interesting and I am sure it will be a tough election.

This Government has been such a shambles that every nutter south of the point of Ayre will soon be declaring themselves as candidates and worse, some will get in. Not that Ms Burns is a nutter of course, but who in their right mind would want to stand ? They may as well call an election now.........Bell & Co have had their time.

Silver Surfer - very well put.

Whilst I'm sure Ms Burns is 'a very nice person', the Island's current predicament needs a House of Keys comprising of more than 'local issuse' campaigners; intellectual ability (even a few GCSEs would do and outshiine several of our sitting parish councillors), experience of managing large organisations (Moochers and an electrical shop don't count) and change are needed. Such iIndividuals do exist in droves here but getting them to the fore in an election is another matter.

So at least 'well done' Ms Burns for standing but you'll have to start assimilating documents a little more intellectually stretching than 'Janet and John' or you'll become yet another bumpkin the civil servants will be able to bemuse and run rings around.

let's see details of your educational achievements and your business experience

erm, have you ever taken a closer look at Tynwald,

Some of those CVs are a laugh. A fridge fixer becomes an engineer. A scaffolder becomes a businessman. And a guy that used to hold the ladders and a pot of paint for his dad just doesn't have his career mentioned.

Oh and if you deliver letters you are well in, and if you are a step up from that as a stamp licker for lil' ol' ladies in the post office you are true LegCo material.

Educational and business achievements just don't come into it.

Silver Surfer - very well put.

Whilst I'm sure Ms Burns is 'a very nice person', the Island's current predicament needs a House of Keys comprising of more than 'local issuse' campaigners; intellectual ability (even a few GCSEs would do and outshiine several of our sitting parish councillors), experience of managing large organisations (Moochers and an electrical shop don't count) and change are needed. Such iIndividuals do exist in droves here but getting them to the fore in an election is another matter.

So at least 'well done' Ms Burns for standing but you'll have to start assimilating documents a little more intellectually stretching than 'Janet and John' or you'll become yet another bumpkin the civil servants will be able to bemuse and run rings around.

the problem being the people earning big bucks with any skills will stay put. tynwald will never be paying more than what they can earn in the competent sector so they won't move.

Archived