Post Offices Douglas/Ramsey

Maxmann

MI is right, get rid of LEGCO, at a small guess should have a saving of at least £500,000 a year in salaries, plus the £10,000 membership of departments pay of £90,000 as well, so we are about £240,000 short, so lets start on the rest of our lovely politicos, they could afford to lose their £10,000 a year from membership of departments, that's about another £240,000 a year, hey that's it solved, that's the £750,000 shortfall, so no need to close the Post office and no loss of jobs.

If there is no reply from any politicians we will then know that we are not " ALL IN THIS TOGETHER " only the ordinary public who getting hit with these stealth taxes.

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Inevitable...the days of the Crown Post Office in whatever form it takes are over....I hardly see a letter save from the local council or Government on about pensions etc....The local deliveries where I live are being run down as well so you get one delivery very late and the "Posties" get topped up by mail taken out to them.. So fewer of them...Like policemen they are getting younger.

In my manor closing the City centre Crown Post Office several years ago now and opening up in W H Smith was not popular and it gets too busy being smaller and you wait too long....

However, the sub-Post Offices that remain have largely passed into the hands of people of Asian origin...Sikhs seem rather good at Post Offices...

The one nearest to me is in something similar to a Spar,.. I think "Londis" or some such ...and they have the Post Office side open seven days a week. (I did not know that you could do that?)...

The other three Asian run sub-Post Offices I know of have decided to stay open all day Saturday....Half day closing went years ago...Only the Londis is a general stores as well...The others are Post Offices plus the usual paper, envelopes, wrapping, glue, tape, cards and for some reason pet food..

What with all the ATMs and other transactions possible on site I think it is better....The sub-Post Offices that is...Pensions and Benefits have been paid into bank accounts for years although they can be drawn at a Post Office...(And some sweetie shops too apparently)

One old Crown Post Office is now a Jamie Oliver restaurant and the other one is big Co-Op.. The sorting office is coming down and they are building a Waitrose....The new sorting office will be a combination of Royal Mail and those courier companies that run about for everyone.

All change!

MI is right, get rid of LEGCO, at a small guess should have a saving of at least £500,000 a year in salaries, plus the £10,000 membership of departments pay of £90,000 as well, so we are about £240,000 short, so lets start on the rest of our lovely politicos, they could afford to lose their £10,000 a year from membership of departments, that's about another £240,000 a year, hey that's it solved, that's the £750,000 shortfall, so no need to close the Post office and no loss of jobs.

If there is no reply from any politicians we will then know that we are not " ALL IN THIS TOGETHER " only the ordinary public who getting hit with these stealth taxes.

Have you factored in the cost of the pensions?

Inevitable...the days of the Crown Post Office in whatever form it takes are over....I hardly see a letter save from the local council or Government on about pensions etc....The local deliveries where I live are being run down as well so you get one delivery very late and the "Posties" get topped up by mail taken out to them.. So fewer of them...Like policemen they are getting younger.

As far as carrying post is concerned, they have pretty much priced themselves out of the game. UK 60p 1st class to send a letter, 50p 2nd class. Bit better here. Packets, they have totally killed with a minimum of £3 here if it's over an inch thick no matter how small or light. I blame the UK government to an extent as they have forced the Royal Mail to offer ridiculously low wholesale rates to the private operators who give the stuff back to Royal Mail to deliver to expensive remote places while they cherry pick the profitable centre to centre traffic. So the banks can send out a letter for 20p but the old lady has to fork out 50p to send a birthday card. It is wrong. I think that the basic post under a certain weight should have retained the exclusive licence with large flows subsidising light flows as always in the past. This would have maintained a reasonable cost universal service, particularly with all of the small internet orders that travel nowadays. Why did we want foreign entities such as Deutschepost (DHL) and Business Post to come in and trash the market?

Well i'm sure some of you have got what you wanted with this reduction in Govt workers in the Post Office .No more recruits to train, no more new pensions. We could save more by using UK postage stamps

I expect some of you who buy on-line will complain about longer queuing to send back all your returns.

I remember when people loved their jobs at the Post Office, it seemed to go down hill after they moved from Circular Road. What is the occurrence with that E-post and IMS? Ahhh feckin arse biscuits to it all, I'm so sick of big companies not caring about their staff or their customers I'm likely to spew venom I don't actually mean to so I will go off and have a nice cup of tea and paint something.

Have you factored in the cost of the pensions?

No but I'll leave that to you, as you seem to know something about it, my view is they will get their pension anyway, now or when they retire in the future will cost more then, or am I wrong there.

The last time the post office In Ramsey was sold it went to an MHK's brother in law.

I wonder who is in line to purchase a prime location in the centre of town which has had many thousands spent on it's location by us. I await declarations of interest.

The last one is a French restaurant now

Regent street is not closing, it is becoming a sub post office. It is probably quite a good business for someone to take on.

It raises the question -- why can't the government run it properly on behalf of the taxpayer without incurring a loss? Why do they have to give it to someone in the private sector, who will be in it to make a profit, in order for it to magically become a good business venture? I don't understand it at all.

Couple of clues. They won't have as many staff. They won't be on public sector pay and conditions.

exactly woolley,public sector pay and conditions are what fucked up everything,reality finally sets in,now the baggage handlers want to strike,LET THEM and advertise for new handlers,i bet they will be run of their feet with applicants,come on baggage handlers STRIKE hohoho.

Sign of the times, sad about the job losses, the government is going to be trimming the fat for a while yet.

Most of the "trimming" in government we've seen to date has been aimed at blue collar workers who are the bone rather than the fat. What we need is the fat reducing the fat -- i.e. less management. I am speaking of the government in general here, not the post office in particular. But it always comes back to Upton Sinclair's adage: 'It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.'

Any organization run by "the voice" Corky was always doomed to failure anyway, and to then add G Cregeen to the mix --

Lunacy sheer Lunacy.

It is now official folk's we are being governed by idiots !!

He GC that is swans around in his tinted windowed lexus, wears Armani suits and has a very low opinion of anyone who is not in his privileged position.crying.gif

Archived