Helicopter Crash at the Creg!

Gladys

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There have been far too many incidents this TT and they started even before the fortnight began. It's absolutely crazy and to be honest I don't feel safe on the roads during it. So much death and injury and yet we're not allowed to say anything critical about it.

There have been far too many incidents this TT and they started even before the fortnight began. It's absolutely crazy and to be honest I don't feel safe on the roads during it. So

much death and injury and yet we're not allowed to say anything critical about it.

Piss off. Exactly as predicted (#58) you come on here countering the shitty pedantic statements made by Meir above. You're a grade A piece of crap you really are. No Isaac, nobody can say anything about how awful it all is ........ Only you have, haven't you, you asshole. Disproving totally you're own point.

Piss off. Exactly as predicted you come on here countering the shitty pedantic statements made by Meir above. You're a grade A piece of crap you really are. No Isaac, nobody can say anything about how awful it all is ........ Only you have, haven't you, you asshole. Disproving totally you're own point.

You seriously need to chill out.

Sadly, the police have now issued a statement to the effect that the pilot was pronounced dead at the scene. The aircraft had previously transported two people to the Creg.

That's awful sad.png

From the original police post It made it seem like they were talking to the pilot, perhaps his injuries were worse than first thought. Thoughts are with his family and I'm very sorry for twittering on here like a idiot thinking he was ok.

Edit: This isn't criticism of the police, I understand they had to inform the family first.

I agree, the wording used was very poor, "officers are dealing with the occupant" or something to that effect. I notice that several posters on the PPRUNe forum were also misled. As the aircraft registration had been suggested on PPRUNe, it is even possible that those close to the pilot were misled.

There have been far too many incidents this TT and they started even before the fortnight began. It's absolutely crazy and to be honest I don't feel safe on the roads during it. So much death and injury and yet we're not allowed to say anything critical about it.

How is a tragic helicopter crash relevant to the TT or even to roads in general for that matter? Could have happened anywhere, anytime.

No, that is consistent what was said in the IoM Police press release on FB. I don't really agree either that the police tried to minimise the accident to somehow protect the TT. I just think it was clumsily worded, and I can understand that they would't want to confirm the fatality until next of kin had been notified.

According to the BBC its a totally different version of events to what's been reported locally.

A 48 year old man from Lincolnshire dead, and two passengers rescued

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-33034542

Very sad news.

Agree its very sad news - but the bit about "two passengers rescued" is nonsense. On that BBC page you linked to it says

The 48-year-old, from Lincolnshire, was the only person on board the privately-owned helicopter when it came down at about 09:00 BST, police said.

He had dropped off two passengers shortly before the crash in the Baldwin Valley, near the 33rd Milestone, Isle of Man Constabulary said.

I agree, the wording used was very poor, "officers are dealing with the occupant" or something to that effect. I notice that several posters on the PPRUNe forum were also misled. As the aircraft registration had been suggested on PPRUNe, it is even possible that those close to the pilot were misled.

You forget how we must attempt to hide bad news relating to the TT at all costs here. Many hours later it transpires that the event was much worse than reported. In fact someone sadly died. It gives them time to manage the impact - it will only now appear on tomorrow's news at 10 and not today's news at ten.

Aye all a conspiracy. Might have nothing to do that the family probably hadn't been informed at that point. I am sure if one of your family died and you read it on the news before being informed by the authorities you would be ok with it

No, that is consistent what was said in the IoM Police press release on FB. I don't really agree either that the police tried to minimise the accident to somehow protect the TT. I just think it was clumsily worded, and I can understand that they would't want to confirm the fatality until next of kin had been notified.

Yes I agree with you. It was all clumsily worded and I understand there are families that need to be

informed etc. However, a lot of the Manx news releases do appear to be misleading. That may, of course, be intentional. But there a big difference to Manx Radios report that people have been speaking to the pilot, and to being pronounced dead at the scene. I'm not trying to score points here as its a horrendous event and really all thoughts should be with those affected.

He could have been conscious and talking, but still seriously injured and died shortly afterwards before they had a chance to get him away from the scene

The helicopter is about 500 yards off the road at the 33rd Milestone. It seems that MR had got information out prior to the official release, they are supposed to be journalists after all?

It was flying from Lincolnshire and dropped off passengers prior to being taken by the gusting winds into the hillside. The emergency helicopter also had difficulty in landing at the scene.

There are plenty of Hospital beds at Noble's, A&E was stretched due to several incidents and were concerned that the race may start and they may have not had capacity to cope. This resolved itself in time.

You always get confused messages in the wake of such events. It doesn't mean that they are being put out to suit one agenda or another. People draw conclusions that they have no basis for, such as "Police have spoken to the pilot." means he is OK, or "Police have spoken to the passengers." means they got out unhurt after the crash. Both wrong, but that doesn't mean the incorrect conclusions were drawn for a particular purpose. It is a byproduct of everyone wanting, and everyone trying to supply instant information. Sometimes in the heat of events it will be wrong.

Archived