Ashley Madison Hack

ans

Morally, I would question the publishing of this infirmation. I do not condone adultery, but it happens; the harm comes when it is revealed and that causes hurt to many more people than just the adultering party. For every person outed, there is going to be at least one other directly, and possibly irreparably, hurt innocent party.

I don't agree.

If you know somebody who has a cheating partner and say nothing, you are just as bad as the adulterer.

The deceived person has the right to know and if you don't tell them, you do not deserve their friendship.

If that website had published the list of names, it would not be the website owner being a twat, but the cheaters!! IMO

What makes you think everyone on there is a cheater?

What about the countless people who undoubtedly signed up just to feel a bit naughty and have a flick through some profiles?

What about people in open relationships who perhaps don't need the entire world - most notable potential future employers - to see that they were on AM?

What about people who signed up without being in a relationship at all?

What about journalists doing research?

What about people who were signed up by their friends thinking it was funny?

Publishing that list would be incredibly damaging to a large number of people who have done nothing wrong. Even the people who did sign up to cheat almost certainly didn't hook up with anyone, the site was 95% male for goodness sake. Unless that 5% of women was exceptionally busy, you're looking at maybe 8% of the total subscriber base actually doing anything.

Fair to burn the other 92% publicly and in a way that damages their future careers and relationships? Don't be daft.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was also wondering who would be the first to try out their excuses in a sandbox environment ..absolutely knew it would be you

whatever.gif

I hadn't heard of the site until it popped up on my RSS feeds. Apparently it was advertised on US late night television and most people thought it was a joke.

I wonder how much the site owners made out of it. Sounds like taking money under false pretences if there really weren't the opportunities that were held out to the subscribers. Still, a fool and his money are soon parted. I guess.

From what people on various discussion sites are saying, there were a lot of bots pretending to be females in order to attract men.

That's how I understood it to work. I must admit, I wasn't aware how widely used the AM site was out of America. I always thought UK people used the IllicitEncounters place that received so much media attention a couple of years ago.

I do remember there being a lot of criticism that you could create free accounts on these places, and you'd get messages from profiles purporting to be interested in you but you had to pay real money to be able to send a response, then it would turn out that those profiles were fake. Now whether they were site run, site condoned or simply con artists trying to extract money from people in those relationships scams where people hand over their life savings, who knows. Probably a mix of the three.

Some interesting perspective here.

http://www.troyhunt.com/2015/08/heres-what-ashley-madison-members-have.html

Things I hadn't considered is people signing up to check for cheating spouses, or casual nosesy browsers. Still, be careful where you put your private info eh?

As a side note, Troy's site 'have i been p0wned' is worth signing up to, he's shown himself to be trustworthy over the years, and early warning of a breach is handy.

BBC reporting that two people have committed suicide as a result of this leaked data.

funny how your conscience will let you cheat in the first place but not let you live with yourself if you're found out.

@helix, if anyone signed up for any of the 'innocent' reasons you list then they should have clean consciences?? I would have expected signing someone else up wouldn't be too easy as most sites require a confirmation by email and to sign up a mate you'd need to have access to their email accounts. no doubt quite a few 'good friends' are taking a hit for cheating mates on this score.

I would have expected signing someone else up wouldn't be too easy as most sites require a confirmation by email and to sign up a mate you'd need to have access to their email accounts. no doubt quite a few 'good friends' are taking a hit for cheating mates on this score.

As has been stated several times, for AM in particular, you didn't need to confirm the email address to create a profile.

I would have expected signing someone else up wouldn't be too easy as most sites require a confirmation by email and to sign up a mate you'd need to have access to their email accounts. no doubt quite a few 'good friends' are taking a hit for cheating mates on this score.

As has been stated several times, for AM in particular, you didn't need to confirm the email address to create a profile.

ah ok, what a poor setup that was.

Archived