Ashley Madison Hack

ans

Surprised nobody has mentioned this so far today, but I guess there's only about six people who can currently get to MF due to the DNS issues...

Anyway, as I'm sure you will be aware, there are various Facebook groups and stuff popping up threatening to reveal all, some of them are IOM based.

The people that own Ashley Madison are going after websites and Facebook groups HARD, issuing DMCA takedown notices and having them all removed. I wouldn't expect any site to last long if they start posting up the data, or even threatening to.

Couple of things to note:

• No matter what email addresses you see, remember that AM didn't need you to verify an email to create an account. I could have created one with David Cameron's email address attached to it and it would be in this database. That's not to say they're all fake, clearly that wouldn't be true either, but please do bear this in mind before you start outing people.
  • And as for outing people, don't do that here. We don't want the grief. Do it somewhere else thanks
  • Better yet, don't do it at all. At least in public. If it's a friend you see, have a quiet word
  • By all means discuss the hack, the mechanics, the ethics, the aftermath, whatever. But don't post any of the data.
  • If you have the data, good for you, you're not a special snowflake, thousands of people out there have it too.
  • If you do decide to download the data from any public torrent sites, think twice. In some of the archives I've seen, there are credit card details which the authorities WILL go after you for if they determine that you're distributing that as part of the torrent protocol. The law might not care about piracy but it sure cares about CC and identity theft

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw a local based one pop up on FB with a countdown to release but it looks like it got pulled. They released a couple of gov.im email addresses early. Feel sorry for anyone outed, morally they maybe wrong (if they even did anything which they probably didn't), but there could be a few wrecked families out there over nothing but signing up in curiosity. Like people didn't have affairs before the internet.

From what I understand AM changed to requiring email verification some time ago, although there was a period when it wasn't required as you say.

Anyway I entirely agree with the admin's stance, and personally I feel realllllllly uncomfortable about this whole thing. People circling like vultures in glee waiting for public outings to happen... it's like the days of public hangings are back again.

It's all very very nasty. I hope I don't see any of my friends getting involved in the schadenfreude.

I saw a local based one pop up on FB with a countdown to release but it looks like it got pulled. They released a couple of gov.im email addresses early. Feel sorry for anyone outed, morally they maybe wrong (if they even did anything which they probably didn't), but there could be a few wrecked families out there over nothing but signing up in curiosity. Like people didn't have affairs before the internet.

Maybe just IOM based e- mail addresses? - is that a thing?

I'm wondering how many people will start putting forward their defence even before names are released. Not that I'd know how to get a copy, but my morbid curiosity would want to look through.

As others have said, it's none of anyone else's business what others do in their own lives, but I couldn't not look if it was offered.

Archived